Author Topic: CV u-joints  (Read 756 times)

Offline neale_rs

CV u-joints
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »

I noticed that the u-joints in my CV joint seem thinner than the normal 1310 u-joint at the pinion.  Does anyone have the part number for these?

Thanks
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: CV u-joints
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »
I noticed that the u-joints in my CV joint seem thinner than the normal 1310 u-joint at the pinion.  Does anyone have the part number for these?

Thanks
if you didn't change your yoke at the pinion the u-joint there is 1330. Spicer part# for 1310 on my rear d/s cv is 5-153x (greasable) and is the same at the pinion on my d/s but i had to change the yoke.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
Thanks.  I looked into this a bit and it seems the one I have at the pinion (D44) is a 1310, Spicer 5-785x non-greasable. It has a pretty thick cross, about the same width as the cap diameter.  The u-joints in the CV have a cross that is thinner than the cap diameter, kind of like the 5-153x but non-greasable and maybe a bit thinner.  How wide is the "cage" (u-joint yoke on drive shaft side of CV) for the u-joint on your CV?  On mine it looks like a 5-785x would not be able to turn much in there but I might be underestimating.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
Thanks.  I looked into this a bit and it seems the one I have at the pinion (D44) is a 1310, Spicer 5-785x non-greasable. It has a pretty thick cross, about the same width as the cap diameter.  The u-joints in the CV have a cross that is thinner than the cap diameter, kind of like the 5-153x but non-greasable and maybe a bit thinner.  How wide is the "cage" (u-joint yoke on drive shaft side of CV) for the u-joint on your CV?  On mine it looks like a 5-785x would not be able to turn much in there but I might be underestimating.

i had another d/s that i sent back because the clearance was not enough to give it more angle drop. they get pretty close to the center joint (ball joint) of the cv - that's where that d/s was getting the limitation. I'd say that you are probably fine if it's non geasable since you don't have the holes/canals thru the center of the joint for greasing. if you put thicker ones most likely would take from your d/s angle unless the cv is made for them (it would be bigger to have clearance for the thicker cross). oh, the 1330 was for the stock D35, I should've read your signature to the end :).
If you don't have u-bolts at the pinion yoke you are more likely to pull a strap rather than braking a u-joint in the cv.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
Well, I do have u-bolts.  If this DS is going to need these special small u-joints I'm thinking about selling it and getting a normal one!  Thanks

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »
Well, I do have u-bolts.  If this DS is going to need these special small u-joints I'm thinking about selling it and getting a normal one!  Thanks
i have the same u-joints 5-153x at both the yoke and the cv. the cross on the u-joint is thinner where it goes into the cap which is where your lowest strength is (that would be for cross-sectional load or whichever way is called) and if you look at the cross it has a radius between the 2 axes of the cross, that is to strengthen the cross - so i would say unless it is smaller than the portion that goes in the cap (not the outside diameter of the cap) your weakest point of the u-joint would be right at the base of the cap (where the little rubber seal is). If it's not greasable that makes it stronger as there is no hole in the center of the cross i think.