Author Topic: cleaning tps?  (Read 596 times)

pioneer4x4

cleaning tps?
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »
i have an 86 xj 2.5l TBI and was wondering how to clean the tps, can i just spray electrical cleaner all over it, or is it just the plug that gets cleaned? dont want to ruin it, just want to clean it. i checked the voltage and it checks out at idle and wot, but the book says the voltages should gradually increase and decrease, mine was not so steady, it was kinda jumpy? and there is a considerable amount of grime all around it, thought i should clean it if possible. also on a side note what should resistance be on a typical 18 guage wire? is there a standard 1 ohm or 2 ohm guideline, or does it depend on wire length and size? just wanted to know so when i check for broken/cracked wires. thanks in advance.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: cleaning tps?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »
i have an 86 xj 2.5l TBI and was wondering how to clean the tps, can i just spray electrical cleaner all over it, or is it just the plug that gets cleaned? dont want to ruin it, just want to clean it. i checked the voltage and it checks out at idle and wot, but the book says the voltages should gradually increase and decrease, mine was not so steady, it was kinda jumpy? and there is a considerable amount of grime all around it, thought i should clean it if possible. also on a side note what should resistance be on a typical 18 guage wire? is there a standard 1 ohm or 2 ohm guideline, or does it depend on wire length and size? just wanted to know so when i check for broken/cracked wires. thanks in advance.
the resistivity is based on material and length - so in this case is 18ga copper linear resistivity x length (i'm too lazy to look but you should be able to goolge it or find it on wikipedia). You'll still have to know the length of each wire though which is hard to figure out if you want to be exact.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

pioneer4x4

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »
thanks for the reply, i figured it was something like that. anyone know about how to clean the tps?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:38:06 PM »
thanks for the reply, i figured it was something like that. anyone know about how to clean the tps?
imho you should buy one, i think they're around $35 for a new one (if i remember correctly - changed mine 4yrs ago or so when it start acting up)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:38:36 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end