Author Topic: soft top question  (Read 959 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
soft top question
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
i need to replace my soft top and ive been lookin on ebay for as good of a deal as i can find. they're all pretty much $300 or over. some sellers are describing their tops as 2003-2006 TJ models. is this a typo or will it not fit on my 98TJ's frame. if its an original top from the factory it should fit all TJs assuming all the factory soft top frames were the same...they should be, shouldnt they?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline jagular7

Re: soft top question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »
The basic difference is in the clasp of the top to the windshield. On early TJs, they are wide. In late model TJs, they are smaller in width. So basically, the late model years will fit an early model year, but not the other way around. They is also some difference in the rods as the back of the top won't be as 'tight'.
I am using a 05 top, rods, windows, everything on my 97. I got it off my local craigslist for ($300). I'd look there first for something that someone doesn't want anymore. This was in storage and the guy wanted to sell it because he never pulled his hardtop off.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:30:14 AM »
so the 03-06 top will fit my 98's hardware too. it just wont be as tight? but tight enough that it wont fly off or anything, right?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
ya know what kills me about this? id love a set of those upper door sliders-with the glass part and all but they're all selling for $300 or more on ebay or any of the jeep part warehouses...robbery! i can get a whole NEW softop with the plastic zip up windows and tinted for $300...and these things are nothing more than a piece of glass surrounded by fabric..what about them is worth $300 and sometimes more than the value of an entire new top?!!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
ya know what kills me about this? id love a set of those upper door sliders-with the glass part and all but they're all selling for $300 or more on ebay or any of the jeep part warehouses...robbery! i can get a whole NEW softop with the plastic zip up windows and tinted for $300...and these things are nothing more than a piece of glass surrounded by fabric..what about them is worth $300 and sometimes more than the value of an entire new top?!!
I think they're made out of molded plastic - For TJs i think you can use them with both hardtop and softtop. I had my eyes open for a set of YJ half doors with these on as i currently have full doors and really sucks in the summer to have the top off and the full doors, they would work with my Bestop softtop but like you say, too much money. I think jfrabat has a set of these.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

hippiejesse

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
Hey,

I, like jagular7 run a soft top from a 2005, with all the hardware, on my 2000. I can't promise that it would fit with your hardware, but I don't know why not...

The big difference is that the frame mount which connects to the roll-bar, it is designed to fit the extra foam on the newer tj; it fits fine, but is out a little ways from the bar. Also, I think I have heard that the zippers are reversed from the older tops, and the colors are a little different.

Just confirming jugular7's response...

Offline jagular7

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »
Nice weather, I got to play with my top. Being an 05, the zippers are the same on both sides. 97 had them different. Female on one side, male on the other. (If that is the proper term to note the difference.)

My windows are also tinted. I use replacement soft uppers on the doors. They are a differnet color as well. Makes my Jeep very noticeable.....
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s