Author Topic: Stupid Jeep  (Read 5270 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Stupid Jeep
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »
hmmmm...someone on Pirate mentioned that the clockspring might be the issue...stupid Jeep....
sorry for this question and just for my reference - what is the clockspring?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 06:43:50 AM »
sorry for this question and just for my reference - what is the clockspring?

It's behind the steering wheel....it has been known to cause some false TPS related readings since they share some wiring (maybe just the ground??)...yet another wire to check....just need to pull the steering column shrouds off and make sure everything is clean.

I still think it might be the CPS...will have the dealership check it out.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
hmmmm...someone on Pirate mentioned that the clockspring might be the issue...stupid Jeep....
Hmm, I'm going to with that as well.  You might try taking the steering column apart and cleaning up the clock spring's connections.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »
It really is very strange....starting up from my other office at lunch, Jeep is sputtering...speedo going whacko as usual....voltage is fine......then the voltage drops to 12...and then down to nothing....what a pain in the ass....stupid Jeep.

Need to get this taken care of before I head to IN next week.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
The clock spring is known to short voltage to the TPS when it fails.
Don't really think that is your problem, your problem or problems are somewhere else.
When it acts up you need to do some prodding with a volt meter you have a bad connection somewhere most likely due to corrosion. Remember you live is the road salt area of this country your gremlin could be in a multitude of places but it is related to either powers or grounds
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
Did you ever just stand back and look at something differently and have an incredible moment of clarity???

The guy was backing my Jeep up after changing the oil and I noticed my back-up lights (the ones in my LED lights) were not on...and then I remembered one of the times when my cluster was whacko and I had an issue with my lights as well.

So...I'm riping out the lights this weekend and doing a complete re-wire....amazing what a short will do....

Offline chardrc

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 08:21:34 AM »
Did you ever just stand back and look at something differently and have an incredible moment of clarity???

The guy was backing my Jeep up after changing the oil and I noticed my back-up lights (the ones in my LED lights) were not on...and then I remembered one of the times when my cluster was whacko and I had an issue with my lights as well.

So...I'm riping out the lights this weekend and doing a complete re-wire....amazing what a short will do....

didn't you say you just rewired them on page 1 post 1?  :wall:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
didn't you say you just rewired them on page 1 post 1?  :wall:

Yeah...I suck....and the fact that all of the rear wiring is exposed because of my flat fenders doesn't help either.

New lights are coming probably tomorrow...

Going  :wall: to wire and wrap the living hell out of them this weekend....and then ordering new back up lights....LED as well.....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:29:31 PM by Jeffy »

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
...and I also ordered this as well....

Offline chardrc

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
good luck.. wiring always sucks...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »
good luck.. wiring always sucks...
LOL!  I actually like wiring.  Although, I did almost become a Electronic Tech.   :lol:  Just make sure you practice soldering and use shrink tubing.  You don't want to use crimp on connectors and you don't want to do cold solder joints.  Those are the main problems.  Then tie up the wires with zip-ties to kee them from moving around.  You can wrap them with electrical tape, but I then to shy away from it since it looks bad and collects dirt.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
they also have the paint on electrical coating... but i don't know if i realy like it.. i have problems with getting even coverage.. it tends to like to glob and be effected by gravity before drying.. shrink tubing is the way to go...

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »

what's the plan with this one? oh, and what does it do?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »

That's what I run to convert the cable signal from the T-case to electronic signal for the speedo.

Why do you need it?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
It actually will take the digital signal and convert it to other PPS so it can calibrate your speedometer without changing the gear.