Author Topic: replacing upper door skins  (Read 1068 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
replacing upper door skins
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
i ordered a new top and it came with upper door skins. i made sure the guy understood it was for a TJ. i went to replace the upper door skins (i think they are from the factory cause they were stitched in) but i ran into a snag. i cut out the passanger side window to expose the frame and i tried to the slide the new upper in-it opens with velcro-but its a tight fit and i cant get it to go in all the way! now im without passenger side window. I had noticed that the zippers on the driver and passanger windows are different-passanger side upper is much newer-but both are stitched into the frames-im assuming they are original/factory. could i be wrong??  are there different size upper door frames on the market for TJs that you can purchase with upper installed/stitched onto frame......or do i need to try this with the upper skin heated up so to speak-so as to allow the material to stretch??
anyone installed these?  will heating work? or could i possibly have one frame OEM and another aftermarket etc. i placed the new skin on the frame and it seemed to line up...will it stretch if heated?
thanks
-stan-
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: replacing upper door skins
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
Put them in a sunny area for awile. They will loosen up a bit. Don't apply heat to them
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
I would lay them on hot concrete for a while, don't apply any more heat than a hair dryer.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »
running out of hot days here in CT...im still thinkin they may be the incorrect size, how much can i really expect them to stretch. im gonna lay em out on sunday in the sun for a whole day and then install em before it gets dark.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
running out of hot days here in CT...im still thinkin they may be the incorrect size, how much can i really expect them to stretch. im gonna lay em out on sunday in the sun for a whole day and then install em before it gets dark.

you can always run some hot water on them in the shower and rub some soap on the frame (just a thought, never tried it but i don't think it can hurt in any way, they're supposed to be waterproof)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
supposed to be 80 and mostly sunny tomorrow. gonna lay em out and have em back in the backyard and when i get home from work at 5 ill quickly work on the upper skins. ill see how it goes. its a nice top and all-just the fact that it isnt ripped is a plus, but i can already tell the plastic windows are thinner than the stock top's. gonna have to be real careful when i go wheeling. the better quality tops were $400 or more, had to go cheap on this one.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »
CJ/Wrangler's need doors like Huskies need sweaters.   :beer:

'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
CJ/Wrangler's need doors like Huskies need sweaters.   :beer:

who needs doors when ya got snow and 10 below 0 degree weather in the winter?  got the upper skins on....my fingers are killing me. this was no small feat. honestly never wanna go through that again. i also realized that my original top was in such bad shape that i had learned to take down/put up in a backwards way that proved to be the easiest without damaging the top any further...pretty much had to relearn how to put the top up cause my old methods just dont work anymore.