Author Topic: mounting bracket for coolant reservoir and power steering  (Read 5542 times)

cletz97

mounting bracket for coolant reservoir and power steering
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
I have a 97 tj and i bought the bracket made by flex-alite but it comes with nothing to mount it on. i got some scrap metal that i was gonna use. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs that they can show me?  any help will be greatly appreciated. i just kinda need something to see to get of an idea of what to do.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: mounting bracket for coolant reservoir and power steering
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
I have a 97 tj and i bought the bracket made by flex-alite but it comes with nothing to mount it on. i got some scrap metal that i was gonna use. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs that they can show me?  any help will be greatly appreciated. i just kinda need something to see to get of an idea of what to do.

not sure if this is what you're looking for (i am not familiar with the flex-a-lite bracket) but for an idea - i bought an aluminum p/s reservoir that had no brackets at all, i used the 2 holes on the radiator mounting bracket where the original p/s tank goes and made a bracket out of 1.5'' wide (EDIT: it's 1'' wide actually),  1/4'' thick  aluminum plate that got welded onto the new p/s tank (i could've just used a clamp that would go around the tank and squeeze the bracket in the center) - drilled 2 holes that were threaded with 1/4'' tap.

here's the bracket

and the way it looks (p/s tank is on the left).

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:35:17 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

cletz97

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
thank you, but the yj and tj are different, on a TJ the p/s mounts on the fan shroud and so does the coolant, but the coolant is in the spot where the p/s is on they yj and the ps on a tj is closer to the engine. If that makes any sense. I feel like they should make the metal bracket that u buy be able to screw onto the radiator but things always have to be complicated. :brick: :brick:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:46:40 PM »
It bolts to the radiator flange on the DR side.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

cletz97

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
i think that's a 4.0 cause the pulley is not that close to the fan on a 2.5, and that doesn't have a mount for the power steering. But im going to look at that as a possible option depending if both reservoirs can fit.
thank you for that picture

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »
You might try making a template out of cardboard.  Attach the things you want to mount onto the cardboard with duct tape, then cut/bend the cardboard until you have something that works.  Mark where you need to drill mount holes.  Use the card board as a template to fab something out of metal.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
i think that's a 4.0 cause the pulley is not that close to the fan on a 2.5, and that doesn't have a mount for the power steering. But im going to look at that as a possible option depending if both reservoirs can fit.
thank you for that picture
Hmm, Qtech is showing the same bracket.  http://www.quadratec.com/products/17800_100.htm
What does the bracket look like?  Take a picture of it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:25:18 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
It bolts to the radiator flange on the DR side.

in this pic that Jeffy posted the p/s reservoir is right by the pump (is yours remote mounted on the rad brackets?) - I assume the bracket is only for the coolant res - can you take some pics of what you have maybe that way we can help with some suggestions (one that i can think of right now is to relocate the coolant res on the other side of the rad (using this bracket as it seems that you can flip it and i'm pretty sure the holes are symmetrical on both sides of the rad) and use whatever you have left out of the old bracket to install the p/s res. pictures of your p/s tank and rad with the e-fan on would help (i have no idea how it looks stock either, so that would help too).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

BarneyJeep

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
1.5 x 1.5 angle steel from lowes with holes in it... bolt the bracket to it then bolt the bracket and the L to the rad. PS goes on the inside and coolant on the outside.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=2785-37672-11106&lpage=none
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:23:48 PM by BarneyJeep »

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »
Flex-a-lite shows part no. 30927 for the 2.5 and 30928 for the six cyl. The 30927 acomodates both the coolant and PS reservoirs. What I want to know is why their 475 fan is listed for up through '99, and the 485 is 2000 and up. the 485 runs about a hundred bucks more!
No matter where you're going, there you are.

cletz97

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »
quadratic shows the wrong part. the mount i got looks like that one but its bigger and has a spot for the power stearing fluid. Right now the power stearing fluid is mounted on the fan shroud and comes back, that picture looks like it is a 6 cly cause the front of the engine is so close to the fan, but the power stearing fluid is in kinda the same place, ill put a picture up when i get the chance to show what im talking about.

im gonna look into the metal from lowes that looks good