Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 1423 times)

nwa

Howdy!
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
Howdy everyone! Im glad to find people that people dont diss 4 cylinders! i have never owned a jeep so dont know if i want a 4cyl or a 6 cyl so i figured i would ask some people that enjoy them! Im not a power hound but i dont want somthing that is just complete junk. im lookin at a yj cause of there price ranges of there 4cyl are great for me so when i get one i plan to put air intake/and new exhaust and then an electric fan all for more power and better fuel economy and i dont plan to put huge tires on it ether i plan to put a lil bigger than stock. but anyways i would love some advice from the pros you guys on what yall think bout the 4cyl jeeps and any other advice that yall could give would be great! and i plan to use this jeep as DD and maybe some fun times in the mud at the beach or just out in the desert thx guys!! And do jeeps actually break down alot? i hear this all the time but there by non jeep owners so it makes no sense to me

drunkencityworker

Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:50:50 AM »
does nwa=newbee with an attitude? inspect vehicle. try and get one thats never been offroad. try for 94-95. bigger ujoints and a couple other nice things.

drunkencityworker

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:53:36 AM »
the 4cyl is very capable and fairly easy to work on. my speedo stopped at 176000 3years ago going strong.be carefull tho its addicting once you start tinkering

drunkencityworker

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:54:51 AM »
has been known to cause empty pockets and smiles

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »
Howdy everyone! Im glad to find people that people dont diss 4 cylinders! i have never owned a jeep so dont know if i want a 4cyl or a 6 cyl so i figured i would ask some people that enjoy them! Im not a power hound but i dont want somthing that is just complete junk. im lookin at a yj cause of there price ranges of there 4cyl are great for me so when i get one i plan to put air intake/and new exhaust and then an electric fan all for more power and better fuel economy and i dont plan to put huge tires on it ether i plan to put a lil bigger than stock. but anyways i would love some advice from the pros you guys on what yall think bout the 4cyl jeeps and any other advice that yall could give would be great! and i plan to use this jeep as DD and maybe some fun times in the mud at the beach or just out in the desert thx guys!! And do jeeps actually break down alot? i hear this all the time but there by non jeep owners so it makes no sense to me
The 2.5L are a good motor. They can run for a long time as long as the maintaince has been done. (change fluids, etc) I would look for a  91-95 since they have the better fuel injection. The 95's do have larger front U joints the DCW already mentioned.
As far as breaking down alot it all depends on what your doing to it. Breakdowns usually are from doing something to it while offroading. Their biggest weak links are the AX5 tranny and the D35 rearend. But if you don't plan on going big on the tires you should be fine, depending on what condition it's in when you get it.

Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

nwa

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
nwa stands for nicky wayne adams my name lol. ya i dont plan to take it rock climbing or anything like that just plan like i said for some mud play every once and a while and as a daily driver we use to have a cj7 when i was little so always have been in love with jeeps but just never got around to having one! will putting a cold air intake and better exhaust help gas mileage and performance? and what size tires should i put on that wont mess with gas mileage and performance? i wasnt sure what stock size tire is on the yj and what size could i go up to before hurting performance and having to change anything i plan to get bfgoodrich AT tires they are my favorite tires just want yalls input thx for the help javascript:void(0);

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:13 PM »

i wouldn't say jeeps break down a lot. as a matter of fact i have owned my Jeep for about 7 years now, it is a DD (or was until few months ago). in that period of time i have changed one O2 sensor, one TPS (throttle position sensor), couple of seals (rear pinion and right rear axle) and left front bearing. The last thing i broke was the Ring and Pinion on the rear - i have a suspicion that was a result of a bad job by the shop that changed the seal as i don't believe they setup the preload properly, and also the fact that i am running 33'' tires. other than that it's been running solid and no problems - oh, the gearbox was not making noise when shifting 3rd if I was not babying it but it's been like that since i bought it and seems to be a common thing with  with the Jeeps that have an AX5 transmission. And i've done a fair share of offroading, but nothing extreme - that's when you end up breaking things, and it is not Jeep related, i've seen toyotas and land rovers that were dead in the water many times (jeeps as well of course), you just have to know your limit especially if you don't have a plan to get back home. i own a '95 YJ 2.5L
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

nwa

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »
and my friend has a 94 and he says no bueno to the 4 cylinder the only reason is the tranny hes had to replace his transmission 3 times it starts with 5th gear goin out then so on and so forth do any of yall have this problem?

jcsanders79

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
Given the choice and if price was equal I'd go with a 6 but the 4 is very capable.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »
and my friend has a 94 and he says no bueno to the 4 cylinder the only reason is the tranny hes had to replace his transmission 3 times it starts with 5th gear goin out then so on and so forth do any of yall have this problem?

my 5th was fine, 3rd synchro was acting up but other than that the transmission worked well (no noises or anything other than the synchro) - apparently there were also some issues with the tranny fluid that was recommended for these, it's been the word that it would "eat" the material out of which the synchros are made (i'd say it's some brass alloy but since i have not opened up one of these i'm not sure, but it is likely to be made out of that).

if you are to replace trannys the second time (not to mention 3rd) i would upgrade to an AX15 or NV3550 (late year TJs), those are solid and were used for the 6 cylinders - there  are quite a few writeups out there how to do it and works well.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chardrc

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
d5th going out is fairly common.. but did he actually get a new trany or just rebuild the old one? seems to be alot of bad luck with rebuilding the ax5..they always seem to break again.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

OH-YJ

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
has been known to cause empty pockets and smiles

X2! My girlfriend HATES my Jeep because of the time and money that goes into them. The 2.5's are very capable and a good choice if you're not looking for huge tires.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 08:55:29 AM »
A lot of people put down the 4 cylinder until they actually see one built correctly out-wheel their 6 cylinder.  As already mentioned, the weakpoints of the 4 banger is the tranny (some people run them for 200K or more, others break down fairly early in their life; make sure you use the right tranny fluid, and it will become smoother and last longer; I recommend Redline MT90) and the rear axle (if you go to 33" and lock it, get ready for it to go KA-BOOM!  In my case, I upgraded to alloys, and I have my fingers crossed, but again, some people wheel them for years without problems, and other just go out fairly early).

In case of the 6 cyl, the rear axle is the same, so there is no improvement there.  What you will get is more power and a better transmission, but the 4 angry squirrels have lots of torque down low (you'll notice the difference mainly when driving on the interstate, not when wheeling; and even this can be corrected through gearing), but with less power, you will also have less chance of breaking the D35 on the back...

If given the choice, for the same amount, I would go with a 6, but I am happy with my 4...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost