Author Topic: If not a Jeep, then what?  (Read 11973 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
If not a Jeep, then what?
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:39 AM »
I mentioned in the other thread that if I had to replace my Jeep for whatever reason that I wouldn't not buy another one.  Scott wanted to know what I'd get so instead of watering down that thread I'll post a new thread.  I've owned my Jeep for a while now.  Actually, I've owned it since new which is a rarity these days. That was 16 years ago and two Jeep Generations come and gone.  With every new model, everything gets more and more complicated as everything becomes electronic and computer controlled.

One of the big issues for us in California is emissions and testing.  For CA the cut off point, thanks to Governor Arnold is 1976.  Anything before that is SMOG exempt and this really opens up a lot of options I don't have available with my YJ.  Other laws such as the 25 year or older importation law also becomes important as that allows us in the US to import export only vehicles into the country with the least amount of hurdles.  For CA, this is a good law to know since many export only diesels fall under this law and are also CA SMOG exempt.

This opens up two options to choose from a pre-76 or a pre-1985.  My first choice would be to locate a BJ 40 Series Toyota.  Why a BJ?  Well, because they are diesel from the factory but otherwise share everything from the FJ 40 series.  The other option would be to find a pre-76 FJ.  To solve some of the room issues with having a short wheelbase, maybe finding a FJ 43 or 45 Troop carrier, although rare, do pop up once in a while.  The other option would be to import a FJ 60 series from Canada which can be had with a diesel engine.  They are also LHD which is a bit more convenient then the BJ.  The 60's have a lot more room and flat floors which is a big plus.  Old FJ are still easy to find in nice condition for a decent price and no rust.

The other choice was a Land Rover but those Series I's and II's are usually pretty rusty and parts are usually $$$ compared to the Toyota's.

So, what would you (all of you) buy if you had to choose another 4x4 that wasn't a Jeep as a daily driver?  (realistic budget)
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
Re: If not a Jeep, then what?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:58:42 AM »
I'd consider an old H1 converted to run on Diesel or Bio-Diesel.  Yeah, they're way too big for a lot of trails, I've heard different reports as to their reliability, they are under-horse-powered but torque is good, expensive to work on and they are noisy.  But, you go bio-diesel and you can give the finger to a city's worth of dead-head gripers. 

It's got, except for size, outstanding off-road capability depending on options -- inboard brakes, 4 wheel indy suspension yet 16inches of  ground clearance, tire inflation/deflation, 35s (?) standard, snorkel/exhaust for water are not problem, decent low range gearing. 

Would prefer an Alpha with the better, though still not great horsepower, but those are too expensive I think in this case.    And yeah I'd prefer the H1 was about 2/3 the size.  But maybe an external cage (?) would keep the body intact when you tried squeezing your way through some s-turns.   

Otherwise, I might do an old 70s era Bronco or maybe an old FJ or maybe even a LR Defender   
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:06:18 AM »
If it has to be none Jeep I guess an old datsun patrol will do, those you can find from the factory with lockers in the axles and some come with 4.56 gears stock
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:08:36 AM »
I'll take a BJ as well..... :naughty:
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

MYSTANGT

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »
Not to sway away from the original topic but for me its either Jeep or Ford.

Im not a fan of the Ford trucks, so if I dont own an XJ or a TJ, i'd have to say a 96-98 32V Cobra or an 03-04 Termi Cobra.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Or of course I'd take a clean 5.0...

Other than that... there isnt  :nono: much that would put a  :biggrin: on my face

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
It would have to be an early Bronco for me.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Sine Deviance

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »
If I had to replace my Jeep with another vehicle I'd probably go for a motorcycle. I've been wanting to get a Vulcan 500 LTD for a while now. Otherwise I guess I'd be walking, because after my Jeep, I don't think I could go back to a normal car.

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
New- Newer 545 Bimmer, '01+ Tacoma/Tundra, or Diesel Chevy

Old- 72 or 73 Chevy SCSB, with a 4 speed  :thumbsup: or a '70 Chevelle.

Honestly, the thought of replacing my Jeep with a '73 pickup has been on my mind more than ever lately... I'd love to have one that's super clean on 6"'s with 35's
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:12:54 AM by TahoeYJ »
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
I'll take a BJ as well..... :naughty:
The BJ isn't well known as the Hummer in the US.   :wall: :finger:

Here's a 1982 BJ42 that roams around SF.  This one is owned by Adam Savage and has been seen in a few Mythbusters episodes lately.  It's a little too stock for my taste though it proves you can have a Diesel in CA.  The second pict is more along the lines of what I'd want.

"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
I really like those FJ40 style rigs! When I was in HS I really wanted one bad!
If I had to make a buying choice right now I would have a hard time choosing between a FJ40,Toyota 4 runner (first gen), Early Bronco. The aftermarket is full of stuff to build those just like the Jeep market.
Like you Jeffy I bought mine new off the lot. If I were to sell it I'd loose my shirt with as much as I have poured into it. Guess I'll have to keep it  :doggy:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
I really like those FJ40 style rigs! When I was in HS I really wanted one bad!
If I had to make a buying choice right now I would have a hard time choosing between a FJ40,Toyota 4 runner (first gen), Early Bronco. The aftermarket is full of stuff to build those just like the Jeep market.
Like you Jeffy I bought mine new off the lot. If I were to sell it I'd loose my shirt with as much as I have poured into it. Guess I'll have to keep it  :doggy:
I have thought about going the old Bronco or even a IH Scout but for some reason they are a bit harder to find.  Especially an uncut bronco.  And really if I was going to get one then I might as well get a diesel while I was at it.  You can get a Scout with a Nissan diesel but parts for them are getting harder to come buy.  I was also looking into Toyota 3rd Gen HiLux's which are again hard to find for some reason.  I like the rounded look rather then the squared look of the 4th Gen and later.  The cabs are tiny but you can do a lot with the beds.  Then again, I hate dealing with CA's ever increasing emission laws and I'd rather not have to deal with them.  I was looking at replacing my cat since the forward element broke and there are now CARB approved cats which happen to cost $100 more then the 49 state cat.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
I've had an FJ40, 55 & 60, as well as a '69 Series II Rover. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them. Parts are available for the older Rovers, but you usually have to order them from back East and they come at a premium price.

The 40's are roomier than a TJ, but still pretty small - even for two people and their gear. If it were me, I'd do an FJ60. Tons of room and plenty of after market stuff for them.

Or, what about a Land Rover Disco II? They're a little under powered, but built like a brick outhouse. And, they are truly the ultimate "expedition" vehicle.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 06:46:38 PM »
I've had an FJ40, 55 & 60, as well as a '69 Series II Rover. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them. Parts are available for the older Rovers, but you usually have to order them from back East and they come at a premium price.

The 40's are roomier than a TJ, but still pretty small - even for two people and their gear. If it were me, I'd do an FJ60. Tons of room and plenty of after market stuff for them.

Or, what about a Land Rover Disco II? They're a little under powered, but built like a brick outhouse. And, they are truly the ultimate "expedition" vehicle.
Yeah the 40's aren't much bigger then a Jeep but they have a lot of character.  The rear seating arrangement is also nicer for when you need to load a lot of stuff into the back.  The Jeeps foldNtumble seats usually just get in the way.

I wouldn't want a Disco II since again, emissions as well as $$$.  I think the best deals are for Series 80's and they are usually babied and will run for ever.  Not to mention factory lockers.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
I love the Yota's....but I just can't seem to get away from the D90 or D110....I know they are super expensive and no parts are available and.....but I still want to get one and wheel the crap out of it because I've never seen anyone else do it over here...
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....