Author Topic: work on 2.5 liter with TBI/rex  (Read 1217 times)

cz777

work on 2.5 liter with TBI/rex
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
well i am putting a  mag-pick up distributor in [ rex ignition is running now] with msd 6al with a little of wiring work -starts Wednesday  anybody do this mod yet ? post after work done soon ! 

cz777

Re: work on 2.5 liter with TBI/rex
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
well its working the mod ! get a distributor with vacuum advance  wire into the system as TBI is now freestanding . disconnect old French  system but use as backup system --yellow wire on the 3 wire connector is used for key ignition the msd box and rest wire like ford ignition set up .....ok timing was a pain because ref marks dont line well so i set at app. 6 marks from base of mag timing hole ....next run the jeep up a hill as fast and engine warm to hear any pinging -it sounds better and no flat spots in power ! also i am going to get a 1983 duel vacuum advance for a f-150 300 cid use the retard side for the vacuum  to the manifold side - yes this will work for the rest so please look in this mod ...please look at how volvo's 940 are wiring up with the rex/reginea sytem ....thxs for other good ideas to do ....

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
cool, you should take some pics and post them. any improvement in performance once you got it dialed in?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
:) Its funny, the distributor on the MPI 2.5 only fires the Injection, I know a guy who tried to wire a MSD to the distributor instead of the coil and blew the computer up! Funny because its well documented if you look that the coil wires are what needed wiring up..

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline chardrc

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
:) Its funny, the distributor on the MPI 2.5 only fires the Injection, I know a guy who tried to wire a MSD to the distributor instead of the coil and blew the computer up! Funny because its well documented if you look that the coil wires are what needed wiring up..

Dave

tbi distributor has no electronics in it as far as sensor stuff goes...

sounds like a nice mod, some pictures and updated results would be nice.  :thumb:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

cz777

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
well i have great success with the MSD mod to the ignition system ! i left the rexis system in place [back up system if things go wrong ]but unpluged from the system [its out time by app. 90* with rexis ].. the main power rexis plug is used for ignition switch ''hot '' for msd box  --rebuilt distributor is from a 1983 amc thxs to auto zone  with the ford connectors from ford ..gas mileage is at 19 /20 now smoother ideal ......