Author Topic: Fuel Pressure Regulators  (Read 51339 times)

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
BTW sharpxmen, are you making any more of these adjustable FPRs for sale? If so, I'll buy one off you.
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:52 AM »
I might do like you say here sharpxman and wire in an adjustable MAP and a conservatively tuned adjustable FPR.  Just SOP impression, but the engine below wide open throttle strikes me as being a little starved for fuel.  I can get a gauge and see if I'm correct before messing with anything.

below wot (depending how far below we're talking about) you are in closed loop, so the mixture depends on the O2 sensor output and regardless of the injectors or fuel pressure the PCM will adjust the mixture  based on the O2 feedback and always target 14.7 AFR
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
BTW sharpxmen, are you making any more of these adjustable FPRs for sale? If so, I'll buy one off you.

affirmative

EDIT: it's $100 shipped if you want to keep your old FPR or $83 if you ship yours back (you get $17 back, of course if it's in good functioning order). could be up to $3 cheaper depending on the shipping cost so $97 or $80 on the low side for the 2 options - shipping is between $2 and $5 or so. I'm making one for melbill this week so if you want one let me know as it saves me a trip if i make 2 at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:55:24 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
affirmative

EDIT: it's $100 shipped if you want to keep your old FPR or $83 if you ship yours back (you get $17 back, of course if it's in good functioning order). could be up to $3 cheaper depending on the shipping cost so $97 or $80 on the low side for the 2 options - shipping is between $2 and $5 or so. I'm making one for melbill this week so if you want one let me know as it saves me a trip if i make 2 at the same time.
Don't forget the bracket since you'll have to reuse them and it doesn't fit over the housing anymore.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
Don't forget the bracket since you'll have to reuse them and it doesn't fit over the housing anymore.
correct, thanks for the reminder

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
the adjustable map will shift the reading and will tell the PCM to give more fuel earlier (go in open loop before you're at wot), which can be good or bad depending on what the goal is.

So, the adjustable MAP puts you in an open loop before WOT.  And the adjustable FPR lets you set it to insure fuel pressure is adequate for the open loop. 

The adjustable MAP also advances timing, right?
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
So, the adjustable MAP puts you in an open loop before WOT.  And the adjustable FPR lets you set it to insure fuel pressure is adequate for the open loop. 

The adjustable MAP also advances timing, right?

advance is mostly rpm related with some sensors affecting slightly the curve (IAT, ECT, MAP) - to tell you the truth i don't know what the outcome would be with the adj MAP.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
finished melbill's AFPR - this time i made the vac port thru the adjustment screw.

Here you go Jeffy, pics of the internals

put together

now i need to seal it and preset the pressure

unfortunately his old one was leaking (the membrane probably having a tear) - we decided to use another one since this probably would not have worked

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »
Sharp,

Could you find out how much one without the core would be shipped to Costa Rica?  I think this is small enough so as to not be noticed by customs and actually go through without having to pay taxes...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
Ah, very nice.  I see the bolt preloads the spring which puts pressure on the diaphragm.  That bolt looks interesting.  Looks like you can bore out the center and use that instead of having to do a separate piece.  Would look nicer that way.

BTW: I drove around with my stock FPS and 17.3lbs injectors and floored it once it was warmed up.  No signs of the engine being lean that I can notice.  In 4th, if I get it to 3000 rpm, I can accelerate up a mild grade and it feels find up to 4000 RPM.  Tried a steeper incline and was able to hold 40 in 4th at over 3000 RPM.  I'm using these as baselines so when I swap the FPS I'll be able to see if there are any differences.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:40:03 AM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
Ah, very nice.  I see the bolt preloads the spring which puts pressure on the diaphragm.  That bolt looks interesting.  Looks like you can bore out the center and use that instead of having to do a separate piece.  Would look nicer that way.

finished melbill's AFPR - this time i made the vac port thru the adjustment screw.

i made that bolt, and yes it has a hole all the way thru so that is the vac port now - i didn't have a small enough hex bar when i made yours

BTW: I drove around with my stock FPS and 17.3lbs injectors and floored it once it was warmed up.  No signs of the engine being lean that I can notice.  In 4th, if I get it to 3000 rpm, I can accelerate up a mild grade and it feels find up to 4000 RPM.  Tried a steeper incline and was able to hold 40 in 4th at over 3000 RPM.  I'm using these as baselines so when I swap the FPS I'll be able to see if there are any differences.

that's good, probably better if you do it the same day so the seat'a'da'pants gives you a better feel :)

Sharp,

Could you find out how much one without the core would be shipped to Costa Rica?  I think this is small enough so as to not be noticed by customs and actually go through without having to pay taxes...

Felipe

will do, do you have a postal code and address (send a PM) so i can put that in the shipping estimate on the post office website.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
Sharp,

Felipe
i didn't need the postal code, seems to be same rate regardless of location in CR
looks like would be $112 shipped to Costa Rica (so no core to return $75 + $20 core + $17 shipping) - not sure how much the insurance would be to cover $95 value although in that case might be that you would get taxed on it - i could put down $5 value but there's a risk if it gets lost

melbill

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
Very cool, can't wait to use it. I'll definitely be posting results of set up and trials.

Bill 

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »
Very cool, can't wait to use it. I'll definitely be posting results of set up and trials.

Bill 

if you need it quickly let me know, otherwise i plan to ship it before the end of the week (as i understand your Jeep is on standby right now).

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »
PM sent...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost