Author Topic: Fuel Pressure Regulators  (Read 50368 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
correct. if you have an adjustable one you just remove the vac port to set the wot pressure.
Ok, now I have to dom some digging.  I haven't seen much for specs on OE FPR's though.

On another side note; I was thinking, would there be any problems mounting an aftermarket FPR  to the frame in front of the fuel filter?  That would really clear up a lot of messy routing in the rail.  Then you'd just have to disable the stock FPR.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
Ok, now I have to dom some digging.  I haven't seen much for specs on OE FPR's though.

On another side note; I was thinking, would there be any problems mounting an aftermarket FPR  to the frame in front of the fuel filter?  That would really clear up a lot of messy routing in the rail.  Then you'd just have to disable the stock FPR.

i would suggest a dampner in that case like on the TJ the fuel rail to eliminate pulsation, but yes, should work. I picked up an extra stock fpr today and will look and see if it can be modified and make it adjustable - i'll let you know tomorrow how that goes.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
I can't find any reference manuals online for FPR's.  Might have to send a email to a mfg ad ask them if they have one that matches the stock in side but a 44 PSI unit.

Not sure how you'd get a dampener into the mix.  I feared that you might get pulsation with the regulator so far back though.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »
I can't find any reference manuals online for FPR's.  Might have to send a email to a mfg ad ask them if they have one that matches the stock in side but a 44 PSI unit.

Not sure how you'd get a dampener into the mix.  I feared that you might get pulsation with the regulator so far back though.

i think the one on the TJ is installed just like the YJ fpr but the feed is right on it as opposed to the one on YJ where the FPR is on the return. the easiest would be to put a TJ dampner where the stock FPR is but i'm not sure how that is built (they look the same but i don't think it will block the return). i just cut one of the stock fprs i have - i think i can make it work and turn it into an adjustable, need to do some more brainstorming tomorrow.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to look into that later.

I might be interested in one of those adj. stock units for a review once you get it sorted.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 08:35:08 AM »

I might be interested in one of those adj. stock units for a review once you get it sorted.

sure, if i get it to work first one is yours

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »

ok, finished the prototype - my battery was dead so i couldn't preset it - i'll try to do it sometime this week and let you know how it goes. got it at 42 psi but then it jumped to 46 and i realized it's the battery barely spinning the pump so my guess it is probably over 50 now, i'll get a charged one on and get it set at 44. If all goes well i'll ship it over to you after that.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
ok, finished the prototype - my battery was dead so i couldn't preset it - i'll try to do it sometime this week and let you know how it goes. got it at 42 psi but then it jumped to 46 and i realized it's the battery barely spinning the pump so my guess it is probably over 50 now, i'll get a charged one on and get it set at 44. If all goes well i'll ship it over to you after that.
How easy is it to modify them?  Simple tools or are we talking about major surgery?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
How easy is it to modify them?  Simple tools or are we talking about major surgery?

major surgery - cut it open, threaded on the outside, made a cylinder with a matching inside thread, screw and nut at the other end, the screw has a step down that fits in a disc that also fits snug on the spring, 1/8'' NPT thread on one side for the vac fitting. assembled together with teflon paste so there's no vac leak.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Can you take some pictures so we can see what it's like?

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
I would like to see that as well....  And would not mind getting one!  I think I still got a stocker somewhere laying around (used to have 2, but I dont remember if I gave them away when I left Miami or if I left them in the Jeep back in Panama; I'll check in March!).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
not the best pic but you get the idea

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
I would like to see that as well....  And would not mind getting one!  I think I still got a stocker somewhere laying around (used to have 2, but I dont remember if I gave them away when I left Miami or if I left them in the Jeep back in Panama; I'll check in March!).

if this works sure - i paid $20 for the stock one at the junkyard, dunno if it's worth shipping yours in that case, not sure how much the new ones are either, never had to buy one. I would guess that if i buy more of the used ones i can probably negotiate a lower price. I didn't figured out a price for a modified one yet (took quite a bit to make this one, but was a lot of discovery work as well) but let's wait and see how the prototype works and we go from there.

melbill

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »
I just found this post and I have a few questions as I am trying to learn as I go. Does increasing the fuel pressure at the fuel rail do anything besides increasing the fuel volume being injected into the intake?   What are the befits to an adjustable FPR versus a properly selected non-adjustable FPR? As a follow up, are the adjustments made multiple times or primarily just to fine tune it to your vehicle.

Thanks for the information

Bill

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
I just found this post and I have a few questions as I am trying to learn as I go. Does increasing the fuel pressure at the fuel rail do anything besides increasing the fuel volume being injected into the intake?   What are the befits to an adjustable FPR versus a properly selected non-adjustable FPR? As a follow up, are the adjustments made multiple times or primarily just to fine tune it to your vehicle.

Thanks for the information

Bill
Increasing the PSI at the rail will inscrease the amount of fuel and also help the spray pattern to some extent depending on the injectors being used.  Many of us running Ford 19# injectors are actually running 17.3# which is marginally less then the stock which are 17.4#.  Since they are running under their optimal pressure the spray pattern might not be as good as it could be, but still better then stock.  Bumping that back up will help with the spray and also the amount of fuel.

This isn't something you want to screw around with unless you have other modifications that can take advantage of it.