Author Topic: Does a Throttle body spacer really do much?  (Read 4980 times)

colorado_jeeper

Does a Throttle body spacer really do much?
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »
The reason i ask is because i just put on a 4.0 TB and took off the spacer i had on. I have a CAI already, so there is more airflow there, and now with the bigger TB is a spacer going to be a noticeable difference in performance?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Does a Throttle body spacer really do much?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Yes, it lowers the power band which will give you more usable torque.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

colorado_jeeper

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
Ok, thanks. Follow-up question, Does the helix design on the inside of the spacer make a difference?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
Ok, thanks. Follow-up question, Does the helix design on the inside of the spacer make a difference?
Not sure but that's what I have.  I haven't bothered to hone out the intake, TBS or stock TB.  I would imagine that it would help but it's more like fine tuning then anything else.  More then likely, it will allow the engine to breath better when WOT or even 3/4 and you'll be able to break 4000RPM's without trouble although I can do that now with some different tuning.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »
There's a thread on here somewhere about a guy who did actual dyno runs, and I believe that his best results came when he had bored the helix out of the spacer
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:06 AM »
There's a thread on here somewhere about a guy who did actual dyno runs, and I believe that his best results came when he had bored the helix out of the spacer

Here's the thread
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,424.0.html
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:30 AM »
I think the helix is too tight and the airflow too great for the helix to offer any benefit.  Seems more like a gimmick to me.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
Ideally, you would want laminar airflow (this means no turbulence at all) to go straight into the cylinder.  This would mean a polished surface with very few and slight bends, but considering the intake manifold, this is impossible.  As for the vortex inducing TBS, I have yet to see one that really works, but at least the he helix ones (I have one on because I could not find one without it) do not block the flow of air as the tornado ones do...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Numerous folks with dyno time to burn have proven there is no real gain or loss to teh ones with or without some grooves...

Racers try everything and nobody swears by the helix style ones...

Most nascar heads do not have polished intakes only exhaust, they even machine micro grooves to stop laminar adhesion to the intake runner.
Sometimes course bead blasting is used as well.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

mjmudd

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
I am actually looking for a little more top end speed to make highway driving a little easier not so much low end torque.  So will adding a 4.0 TB and helix spacer to my 2.5 make much difference in the top end or driveability in 5th gear?

Mike

knotts89

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 07:38:54 AM »
i put the spacer on first and their was a little difference but u can really tell after the 4.0 tb i feel like it helped mine on all around but really gears were the only thing that made it alot better on the hwy

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »
I am actually looking for a little more top end speed to make highway driving a little easier not so much low end torque.  So will adding a 4.0 TB and helix spacer to my 2.5 make much difference in the top end or driveability in 5th gear?

Mike
I wouldn't worry about the helix bore, it doesn't do anything.  The air is moving too fast for it to be beneficial.

I'd recommend using a 62mm throttle body and matching spacer, as well as grinding the intake manifold opening to 62mm.

mjmudd

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »
Now if I am letting that much more air into the engine, don't I need to open up the exhaust as well?  Although the exhaust looks relatively new, it appears to be same as stock.  Is there a way to open that up cost effectively?  I don't really want/need to change the sound or buy an expensive cat-back system, just want to maximize the mod I am doing...

Thanks,

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
If you take out some of the restrictions via a high flow cat and cat back, you shoul dbe just fine...  You can, though, go for larger injectors later on...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 03:24:54 PM »
The stock exhaust is not too bad really, I think you'd need a cam to really need the extra exhaust.

Youd notice more taking the back seat out and the spare tire off...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio