Author Topic: Distributor cap issue  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Lu

Distributor cap issue
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
a month ago my jeep (95) started idling and running rough and had a noticeable loss  in power.  I popped the dist cap off and saw that the contacts were all black and gross.  I replaced the cap, rotor, and wires.  the plugs were already new.  It ran great, smooth and more powerful.  so the last few days it has been running a little rougher and not so great.  I popped the cap off again and saw the same black crap building up.  the guy at the auto parts store said just clean it.  He didn't know what it could be.  So, anyone?  what is it? 

i've also read that if the distributor shaft wobbles it could cause arching which would cause this i think.  I don't know how much it should or shouldn't wobble.  i pull the rotor off and it shakes slightly when I move it.

any help would be appreciated
I may not be able to get anywhere quickly, but I can get most anywhere I please.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Distributor cap issue
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »
a month ago my jeep (95) started idling and running rough and had a noticeable loss  in power.  I popped the dist cap off and saw that the contacts were all black and gross.  I replaced the cap, rotor, and wires.  the plugs were already new.  It ran great, smooth and more powerful.  so the last few days it has been running a little rougher and not so great.  I popped the cap off again and saw the same black crap building up.  the guy at the auto parts store said just clean it.  He didn't know what it could be.  So, anyone?  what is it?  

i've also read that if the distributor shaft wobbles it could cause arching which would cause this i think.  I don't know how much it should or shouldn't wobble.  i pull the rotor off and it shakes slightly when I move it.

any help would be appreciated

just a guess but what coil do you have and what did you set the gap at on the plugs?

EDIT: there is always arching there, but the shaft wobbling can cause issues (like the rotor actually touching the prongs inside the cap which is not supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:24:07 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Lu

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:19 PM »
I have whatever the stock coil is and I am running Bosch Platinum+4 plugs which are pre-gapped and can't be gapped I don't think.   I tested the shaft more and it doesnt move back and forth but only a little up and down and slightly when turned
I may not be able to get anywhere quickly, but I can get most anywhere I please.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
I have whatever the stock coil is and I am running Bosch Platinum+4 plugs which are pre-gapped and can't be gapped I don't think.   I tested the shaft more and it doesnt move back and forth but only a little up and down and slightly when turned

dunno what to say - i would try different plugs, just buy whatever cheapest recommended plugs are (they go for about $2.50 a piece), no fancy stuff and see how that goes. Did you find these platinums in the catalog to be the ones recommended for your engine?

the movement of the shaft sounds normal to me

'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Lu

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
I got the plugs from napa and the guy said they were the right ones.  So you think it could be the plugs being wrong for my engine and are fouling up my cap and rotor?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »
I got the plugs from napa and the guy said they were the right ones.  So you think it could be the plugs being wrong for my engine and are fouling up my cap and rotor?

i would at least double check to make sure they're the right ones.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 12:17:31 AM »
I tried the Platinum +4's and my 2.5 did not like them. Never idled right. Ran ok at high revs though.

Went back to Copper Core std NGKs

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

bumati

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 05:05:16 AM »
I have the plus four and the e3.    Both have helped in my mileage war.     Much better than standard plugs.  I run the accel coil for big spark. 

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:24:59 PM »
I'm going to have to redo the coil test so I can document the
performance or lack of it from a lot of the "special" after market coils.

:stick:

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Lu

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »
I'm having to clean the contacts off the rotor and cap every few days

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:42 PM »
Is the rotor getting a burnt spot or black edge as well?

Sounds like the sparc current is going too high maybe,
My YJ never has gotten great mileage out of the cap and rotor.

About 15K is the best I've done.

Dave

Offline Lu

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »
Yeah, rotor and cap contacts. I have to clean it off every few days.  What does it mean the current is going too high? 

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
If you gap the plug too big, (Usually above .045) and the coil cant quite handle it,
the current becomes unstable then you get secondary arcing which burns the
contacts. I've also seen mild oil leaks at the distributor shaft bearings cause blackening
when the oil deposits on the contacts and burns.

Also if the coil is old and has some internal leaking the sparc is unstable and it can burn
contacts as well.

Dave

Offline Lu

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 08:15:13 AM »
When I replaced the spark plugs, I found the gap to be anywhere between .055 and .062, far above stock .035.  Could this incorrect gap have caused the cap to get black by wearing out the coil or something?  I really have no idea and I'm just throwing something out there.  So now could the coil be old and worn out and causing an unstable spark?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
if you have the correct plugs gapped properly and good cap rotor and wires should all be fine - all is left is the coil so if you suspect that to be the prob give it a shot with a different (new/old) one. Also, make sure the distributor is locked in place by the fork, but if you didn't take it out or try to turn it there's no reason for which would be clocked.