Author Topic: Junkyard Rear Disk Brakes?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Junkyard Rear Disk Brakes?
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
For a while now I have been complaining about my brakes and their lack of power to stop the vehicle as good as I feel they should.  I've looked into different options, and I think the 2 that are the most attractive to me right now would be (1) a '95 dual diaphragm booster and master, and (2) doing a junkyard conversion to disk brakes from an XJ.  From what I have found out so far, the D35 onthe XJ is basically the same as the YJ, except for the disc brakes, so switching over is basically finding a donor vehicle, grabbing the brakes, and isntalling them.  I also figured if I ever do break the D35, with disk brakes at least the pads will keep the wheels where they should be and I can limp home (may have to replace a rotor later on, but that's better than being stiuck in the middle of nowhere).  So what are your opinions, comments, etc?  Please post!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Castr8r

Re: Junkyard Rear Disk Brakes?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
Go for it!  I want to do the same thing sometime soon, so get with the program and do a write up for us!  It should be a fairly straightforward procedure from what I've read.  Good luck!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
Xj's have disc brakes down there?  I know ZJ's have disc's that are 5 on 4.5" unlike the WJ's.  Personally, I'd do both.  Or else just bite the bullet and go with Hydroboots.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
Xj's have disc brakes down there?  I know ZJ's have disc's that are 5 on 4.5" unlike the WJ's.  Personally, I'd do both.  Or else just bite the bullet and go with Hydroboots.

i think i got mine of a ZJ with a rear D44 center and D35 outers - it's bolt-on but i think you need the regulator off the ZJ Ii got it just in case)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »
If you're going to run rear discs, run a master cylinder and prop valve setup for 4whl disc.  I run a '78 Grand Marquis booster for 4whl disc and a ZJ prop valve for 4whl disc.

If you're going through the trouble of installing rear discs, why not convert to a ford 8.8 or Isuzu 44 that already has discs?  It's so easy to swap an axle into a YJ it's crazy not to.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
If you're going to run rear discs, run a master cylinder and prop valve setup for 4whl disc.  I run a '78 Grand Marquis booster for 4whl disc and a ZJ prop valve for 4whl disc.

If you're going through the trouble of installing rear discs, why not convert to a ford 8.8 or Isuzu 44 that already has discs?  It's so easy to swap an axle into a YJ it's crazy not to.
thanks Bounty, that's what i meant: prop valve (i said regulator - brain fart).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »

I'm going to guess that Ford Explorers aren't that prevalent down there.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

b.hog

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »
 I have thought about doing this quite a bit,and have done a lil research,but will probably upgrade to a 44 or 8.8 since I dont have the money into my 35 that you do.Your right about the gc 35, but it has to be a non-v8 model and the most important piece to the puzzle is the backing plate,I found the part # for it, but cant find it right now.
  I think if I was in your shoes,I would source the backing plate (will try to find #) and then buy new calipers etc.Then evrything is new and reliable,and way under price of a disk brake kit.I have also read mixed reviews about having to replace the prop valve.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »
In Central America, as in Mexico, you may be able to get asbestos shoes and pads.  When I had those in the rear drums I could lock up the tires on dry pavement.  Having much stronger brakes in the rear (with the asbestos pads) than in the front was dangerous so I changed to normal pads in the rear.  Now the brakes are not as stong but they are well balanced and safer overall. If I felt the need for better brakes I would go cheap and put asbestos pads front and rear to keep both axles balanced.   

I've often wondered if having disks in the rear (much stronger brakes in the rear) might not also lead to rear axle skidding.  Something to think about.  I guess you could always tone them down with low friction pads in the rear or an adjustable proportioning valve.  Overall I think upgrading the font brakes (WJ) would be better.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »
Overall I think upgrading the font brakes (WJ) would be better.
At which point you stop bandaiding things and swap in a Waggy d44 with it's larger brakes, serviceable bearings, stronger housing, etc, etc.

b.hog

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »
 I can not find that pn# ,must of been thrown out :'(.I did a couple of searches and the only thing I was findin' was teraflex stuff  $$$$$ 230 smacks,just for the backing plate.I know I had it found and on paper (somewhere) for a tenth of that, and believe it or not IIRC from a dealership.

Have you searched any junkyards down where your at?

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »

I plan to change also the master and the proportioning valve...  Just forgot to mention it.  As for the axle swap, I already got lockers and alloys on this one.  So I rather wait until something breaks and then change both to D44's (then I would change to 5.13 gears, as well!) and invest in new lockers.  But for now, the piggybank is empty, and I cannot afford not to run lockers in the mud here, thus I am looking for a cheap solution for now.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
I can not find that pn# ,must of been thrown out :'(.I did a couple of searches and the only thing I was findin' was teraflex stuff  $$$$$ 230 smacks,just for the backing plate.I know I had it found and on paper (somewhere) for a tenth of that, and believe it or not IIRC from a dealership.

Have you searched any junkyards down where your at?

A friend here already has XJ discs on his YJ, which is where I got the idea from.  I defenetly need to do SOMETHING about the brakes, though, as I need more stopping power.  I really wanted to go Hydro, but its WAAAAAYYY too $$$$!!!

95yjman

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I'm running a stock master cylinder with disc brakes on my 44...it stops ok but I wish it was better...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
Keep in mind that all brakes are biased so the fronts to 70-90% of the work.