Author Topic: YJ exhaust tail pipe  (Read 2169 times)

AGUHR

YJ exhaust tail pipe
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »
Does anyone have issues with smelling exhaust when you have your uppers (front) off and the rear window rolled up? my tail pipe is straight under the pass bumper.

I would like to bend out the side but not sure if thats a good idea wheeling since it may get bent or pinched closed.

Any suggestions would be great.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: YJ exhaust tail pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
Does anyone have issues with smelling exhaust when you have your uppers (front) off and the rear window rolled up? my tail pipe is straight under the pass bumper.

I would like to bend out the side but not sure if thats a good idea wheeling since it may get bent or pinched closed.

it shouldn't smell (or at least not too bad) - is your cat ok? how's the engine running otherwise (is it "eating" oil - do you have to add oil once in a while?)

i can't see any difference in taking the exhaust out the side, the de-pressurized zone behind the Jeep will suck the gasses back that way anyway (towards and up above the tailgate).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

AGUHR

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »
Oil is fine, engine runs smoothly. It mainly happens when I'm stopped.

I think the cat is fine - no rattling sounds. How else could you check the cat?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
Oil is fine, engine runs smoothly. It mainly happens when I'm stopped.

I think the cat is fine - no rattling sounds. How else could you check the cat?

maybe the smell comes out the engine bay and not the tailpipe
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

AGUHR

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
I'll check that tonight - interesting thought. Since my plugs are all out on the floor it could roll under the body and come in through the drain holes.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »

So you have the front windows down or off and the rear rolled up?  Well, that's your problem.  As any car or truck moves through it air, it creates a low pressure zone behind the vehicle.  This low pressure zone usually swirls clockwise behind the vehicle.  Since you rolled up the rear window, that low pressure zone is now feeding air into the Jeep.  Even with all the windows removed you'll get air coming forward.

This is why you don't spit outside the Jeep while driving down the highway.  It will get sucked back through the side window area and end up hitting behind your seat.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »

This is why you don't spit outside the Jeep while driving down the highway.  It will get sucked back through the side window area and end up hitting behind your seat.

i thought that's why you don't piss with the wind in your face :lol:

AGUHR

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »
Is there a way around it so you can have the windows down up front and the rear rolled up? Can I bend the pipe behind the tire out the side?

After thinking about the smell I think I smelled it more when only one window was down and the rear was rolled up - the wife zipped her window up.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
Is there a way around it so you can have the windows down up front and the rear rolled up? Can I bend the pipe behind the tire out the side?

After thinking about the smell I think I smelled it more when only one window was down and the rear was rolled up - the wife zipped her window up.
Now that I think about it more, there is even a warning in my owners manual about that.  it recommends removing the side windows.  This will help defuse the fumes.  Also, opening the vent will help.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

AGUHR

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Open the vent - like the heater vent? That makes sense. I'll try that on the way home and see if I can smell anything.

It only scares me because my boy sits in the back seat in the morning going to daycare, and he loves for the back window open.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
Open the vent - like the heater vent? That makes sense. I'll try that on the way home and see if I can smell anything.

It only scares me because my boy sits in the back seat in the morning going to daycare, and he loves for the back window open.
More like 'Vent'.  You know, slide the HVAC lever all the way to the right so the flap opens.

AGUHR

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »
understood - we're on the same page.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
More like 'Vent'.  You know, slide the HVAC lever all the way to the right so the flap opens.

Yeah, well, my heater tends not to read the writing...  You put it in vent, and hot air comes out of the vent...  Yet another thing to fix!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »
Yeah, well, my heater tends not to read the writing...  You put it in vent, and hot air comes out of the vent...  Yet another thing to fix!
That's probably because your cables have too much slack in them.  When it goes to vent both flaps should open.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
That's probably because your cables have too much slack in them.  When it goes to vent both flaps should open.

is the fan supposed to turn off went you go to vent? or is it supposed to stay on?
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr