Author Topic: Hard top remover ?  (Read 1146 times)

b.hog

Hard top remover ?
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
 Well got tired of the manual way (u and a buddy) after probably the second time removing the top,been there done that too many aggrivating times since.Started trying to master a home-brew pulley type top puller on sunday,and have messed around with it an hour or so each day since with no win. :flush:

So any recomended Kits that you guys have used or are using?Any feedback appreciated.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Hard top remover ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
I've wrestled with a hardtop by myself with just ratchet straps and some tall stands to stabilize it.  I would recommend building a giant T that will fit inside the top.  Then use Eye-bolts on the end to lift from.  Then use some nice pulley's to lift it.  You might want to setup a few blocks (pulley's) if you're not using a manual winch of some sort.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

b.hog

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:26:59 AM »
I've wrestled with a hardtop by myself with just ratchet straps and some tall stands to stabilize it.  I would recommend building a giant T that will fit inside the top.  Then use Eye-bolts on the end to lift from.  Then use some nice pulley's to lift it.  You might want to setup a few blocks (pulley's) if you're not using a manual winch of some sort.

Jeffy , thats a good idea -inside-.I built a big T 53x48 thinkin outside would be the better way to go with hooks and eye bolts and pulleys.Im trying to do this under my car port,because I turned my garage into a wood shop, thats 11 feet wide 7 1/2 tall on the very outside, 2 pitch (2 inch rise per foot) so heigth was my enemy from the start,and not finding the perfect balance point with top connected to my concoction was really getting the better of me.But like you said inside , should work better-plus I will gain the heigth of the T- thanks alot,dont know why I didnt think of that       frustration I guess.

b.hog

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
Quadratec has Hoist-a-Top TM & Power Hoist-a-Top ...
Its a device that easily help you remove your hard tops...
Never tried this one yet cause I've been removing my hard tops manually without any problem...

Thats kinda what I was referring to,been trying to rig something up with no avail.The problem for me is that I'm trying to do it withought a hoist,and its not working for me,and its kinda hard sometimes getting a extra hand around here.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »

Jeffy , thats a good idea -inside-.I built a big T 53x48 thinkin outside would be the better way to go with hooks and eye bolts and pulleys.Im trying to do this under my car port,because I turned my garage into a wood shop, thats 11 feet wide 7 1/2 tall on the very outside, 2 pitch (2 inch rise per foot) so heigth was my enemy from the start,and not finding the perfect balance point with top connected to my concoction was really getting the better of me.But like you said inside , should work better-plus I will gain the heigth of the T- thanks alot,dont know why I didnt think of that       frustration I guess.
Yeah, it should give you a bit more height when lifting it with a low ceiling.  You can add foam to the T so it supports more of the top as well.  If you're just lifting it with one pulley, then I really suggest adding a few more so you can make it an easy lift.  It will also give you the precision when having to line it back up.  Once lifted you might want to have some foam bump stop so you can lift it snug to the ceiling so it doesn't swing.  Unless, you're dealing with rafters.  Then you might want to have additional cables that can clip into the existing eye-bolts to give it more tension so it's not swinging from a single point.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."