Author Topic: Performance 2.5? Is that posable?  (Read 8436 times)

quicksand

Re: Performance 2.5? Is that posable?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »
I honestly do not understand in which way to wire that up?

Offline k

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 05:46:13 AM »
use a thermocouple (thermostat contact), you burn HP if you run it constantly
That would be what I burned up twice, or rather the electronics that were also included with it for the thermocouples relay.  To be fair, it took about a year to burn through each one, and they were installed according the manufactures instructions.  They were cheap enough, and I think one was even warrentied, but I got tired of replacing them.  Under most conditions, I have the fan off.  I have found that I only really need it when crawling, stuck in mostly stopped traffic, and during the hottest months of summer here in the south.

I honestly do not understand in which way to wire that up?

I simply ran a wire that was hot when the ignition was on to the fan with an inline fuze and the right sized relay (amp wise).  Then ran a wire to a toggle swith in the dash to operate the relay.  Properly grounded everything and have had no problems since.
1995 2in pucs, 2.5 suspension, 33 BFG's, 4.0 TB, TBS, Auto w/ TCI shiftkit, header, flowmaster, Jacobs Ignition, ARB's front and rear, Rock-it tube w/K&N filter, SYE kit.

quicksand

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
I Got you, I understand now. Thanks for that info. I am still saving for a electric fan It might take awhile. I will hang on to this info. Thanks happy 4 wheeling have a happy new year.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
I simply ran a wire that was hot when the ignition was on to the fan with an inline fuze and the right sized relay (amp wise).  Then ran a wire to a toggle swith in the dash to operate the relay.  Properly grounded everything and have had no problems since.
It would have been better to run the +12V from the battery and not to a +12V Keyed source.  If the fan is high-amp, you'll probably be pulling those amps through smaller gauge wiring.

Run the +12V from the battery and use a fuse or circuit breaker about 6-8" away.  If you want the fan to turn off when the ignition is off then use the +12V switch circuit to a keyed source and run the switch inline with that.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline k

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
It would have been better to run the +12V from the battery and not to a +12V Keyed source.  If the fan is high-amp, you'll probably be pulling those amps through smaller gauge wiring.

Run the +12V from the battery and use a fuse or circuit breaker about 6-8" away.  If you want the fan to turn off when the ignition is off then use the +12V switch circuit to a keyed source and run the switch inline with that.

I probably did.  There are a couple of relays attached to the firewall, and after 8 or so years, I'll be dogged if I remember where they all go! :lol:  And remember, only the swith is wired to a keyed sorce, the relay it opperates runs from the battery.
1995 2in pucs, 2.5 suspension, 33 BFG's, 4.0 TB, TBS, Auto w/ TCI shiftkit, header, flowmaster, Jacobs Ignition, ARB's front and rear, Rock-it tube w/K&N filter, SYE kit.

quicksand

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
I just might hold off on that electric fan for a bit. I just bored out the bottom side of my 4.0L TB swap, and only went from factory 55mm to a mere 57mm and did make a nice difference. Smoother idle, smoother more controled crawl speed, instant quicker offline take off. Reaching higher rpms quicker and reaching top speeds faster. Along with maintaining highway speeds with less throttle. I am not saying this mod works all alone, but sure did enhance all other mods and work great as a whole. I think I am ready to go rockracing, HA HA. I highly recomend this upgrade along with boring out your intake manifold to macth.

SDWE61988

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 01:16:29 PM »
I installed a flexalite fan about a year and half back when I swapped out my engine.  I have had good luck with it so far ( knock on wood).  I did wire mine up to the power distrubution off of the battery according to the installation instructions, and have not had any issues so far with the thermostat.  I would do it again if I ever got another jeep.

Good luck

quicksand

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »
Thanks I will keep that electric fan on the back burner for now. And will remember how to wire it up.

Offline MarkyB

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
The TB swap helped mine immensly. The electric fan made no difference with the engine.  I'm thinking about putting the cat killers back on.

On a side note, I had to adjust my auto transmission kickdown cable after putting the TB and spacer on.
Never saw that mentioned and thought I'd pass that on for the auto tranny guys.  (01 TJ 30RH)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
The TB swap helped mine immensly. The electric fan made no difference with the engine.  I'm thinking about putting the cat killers back on.

On a side note, I had to adjust my auto transmission kickdown cable after putting the TB and spacer on.
Never saw that mentioned and thought I'd pass that on for the auto tranny guys.  (01 TJ 30RH)
You should have noticed the engine spooling up faster.  Although that might be lost since you have an automatic.  I notice it the most when I'm launching from a stop.  I bet the harmonic balancer is hiding it though.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
The electric fan made no difference with the engine. 

interesting. i found a noticeable improvement with the electric fan.... as jeffy said could be a auto vs manual trany thing since its manly spool speed..
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline MarkyB

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
Yeah, the torque converter on the 3 spd keeps the RPMs almost constant. I can see where it would hide any gains from the fan swap.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
you'll notice on the mpg as well (given that you don't run the fan at all times and that it is on a thermocouple or temp controlled unit like DCC).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

quicksand

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »
Has anyone had any experience in a flex fan. What are the pros on cons with flex VS electric?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
Has anyone had any experience in a flex fan. What are the pros on cons with flex VS electric?
Cons; it's engine driven.  You can't turn it off in water crossings, it will flex.  Still have to use the big shroud.  Blades can break.  For dependability, no one uses them.

Plus; it's engine driven.  Comes in cool colors...