Author Topic: rick rimmer super charger  (Read 550 times)

Offline big_bob

rick rimmer super charger
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
i have been tossing around the idea of re gearing turbo or super charging the green bean for a while. i only run 31's and dont really plan to go bigger so the 4.10s would be a good gear if i had the power to pull them. i called and emailed a few places about there products and rick rimmer answered in a few minutes (actually he is the only one to answer) he is offering plug and play super chargers for the 2.5 and everything i can find bout him says he quit offering them years ago has anyone had any experience with his newer kits he is offering? according to him there is no need in rehearing with the supercharger for 31 to even 33s if you see a lot of high way driving he claims a 40 hp jump with a major add of power in the 1800-2500 rpm range. his kit uses a 5th injector spray threw the blower setup any input on this is much appreciated because I'm on the verge of retared when i comes to adding boost to a engine.

Offline h20pumper

Re: rick rimmer super charger
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »
how much is he asking?

Offline big_bob

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
2450 plus shipping

Offline h20pumper

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »
So more than the 4.0 kit on the site? I would honestly haggle if your serious about that route. i cant imagine he many people asking for it anymore.

Offline big_bob

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
he said he first showed this hit last year in colorado i dont know if its the same as his old kit or not. but id rather not fool with the swap this is fat easier to install then then swapping the motor for the same amount of power. I'm not looking for a monster motor i know i could probably do a v8 swap motor and trans for less but i dont have the time or the skill to install and make a different engine and all components work as they should. but i can bolt this charger on.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
So this is the guy behind the Rimmer Supercharger from about 10 years back?  This 2.5L kit looks like the pic below.  It uses a Clifford Performance intake.

The 4.0L kit is very different then before.  The original kit also used a new manifold.  Looks like this time he keeps the stock manifold and bolts on an adapter plate.

Old:

New:

Though getting back to the original question, I'd regear.  it should cost a fraction of what a SC costs and you don't have to move up to Premium Gas.  I'd go 4.56's if you're going to stick with 31's or maybe even go with 4.88's and lose some top end of more grunt down low.  You'll probably want to calculate your RPM's for at least 5th gear and see where it runs out at.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline big_bob

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
yes that's how the 4 banger kit is made also uses the stock intake. how did his older kits perform were they a good setup and reliable. from what I can find and have been told by him its basically the same setup but uses an adaptorinstead of a new intake. after conversing with the wife hhow much cheaper it would be to do some upgrades to the green bean then to go buy a new jk  :dance: I may regear and put the charger on it. and go with some 33" tires I just found buckshot murders are back in p78-16 (33-10.50) I think man I love those tires

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
yes that's how the 4 banger kit is made also uses the stock intake. how did his older kits perform were they a good setup and reliable. from what I can find and have been told by him its basically the same setup but uses an adaptorinstead of a new intake. after conversing with the wife hhow much cheaper it would be to do some upgrades to the green bean then to go buy a new jk  :dance: I may regear and put the charger on it. and go with some 33" tires I just found buckshot murders are back in p78-16 (33-10.50) I think man I love those tires
Keep in mind that you don't jsut have to worry about the tire dia. but also tire weight.  Those Buckshots are going to be heavy.  If you're going to go 33's then do 4.88's.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline big_bob

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
i haven't ever ran them before on anything personally i always wanted a set after i got out of that stage of wanting wide tires but it was to late then. i have ran thorn birds and swamper sx's in the past are they heavier then then a 33" sx?

95yj

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 07:17:22 AM »
Hmmmm...looks like a unit from the old thunderbirds. Probably wouldn't be hard to mock up your own and do it at half that price.  My  concerns would be that those twin screw units make a lot of heat. You are going to need an intercooler. Otherwise you are going to see predetonation during boost.