Author Topic: A/T Tire Recommendations  (Read 3055 times)

TrailsLessTaken

A/T Tire Recommendations
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »
Alright I am needing to replace the tires on my truck this next rotation.  I have had MT's on the truck for a while and like the look of them and the performance they give off road on the jobsites.  I would stick with MT's but they dont last long and I would like to get more then 20-25,000 miles out of a set cause that gets expensive buying tires every year.  So I want an AT that is aggressive and preforms well off road but still comes with a 40-50,000 mile warranty and is available in a load range E and for a 16" rim.  Some of the ones I have looked at are the BFG All terrains, Goodyear wrangler silent armors, Nitto terra grappler, Pirelli Scorpion a/t, and Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2.  I see the Bridgestones on a lot of trucks on the jobsite but thats what i had when i bought mine a couple years ago and was never real impressed with them. 

So I wanted to see what you guys were using and what your thoughts were and what you leaned towards.  I am not stuck on any of these brands and am also open to other brands that anybody would throw out there

Bob

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: A/T Tire Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
I had A/Ts 31x10.5 and they sucked on and off road, driving in the rain was a nightmare, i got M/Ts after and that's much better - sorry, can't help you with a recommendation.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Eucalypta

• Eucalypta Oud-Hollands Snoepgoed
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:26:05 AM »
Have BFG AT's on my Grand Cherokee and it runs great on road, snow, rain. Off road they perform ok, in mud they lack traction, but hej..they are AT.
Have them now over 3 years about 30.000 miles. Seems like thay can stay on for another 30.000 miles.

On my YJ I run 33" BFG M/T. Also here,not unusual wear on them, They perform GREAT off-road and ok on road, also here, good grip in rain and snow.
If I had my YJ as dd, I might put on the A/T's on it and save the M/T's for off-road trips....
To Boldly go where no one has gone before - James T Kirk
1994 YJ 2.5L - 1996 ZJ 5.2 V8

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »
I'd do the BFG's. Tried and true, been around forever. Works good on about everything but mud.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
Only 20-25,000 out of a set?  What are you running bias ply SS's or something?  You should be able to get 40,000 out of a decent radial mud tire if you're not grinding them up.  50-60,000 for an AT should be possible.

By 'truck' I'm assuming it's not your Jeep.  What are your current tires?  Also how much of a load are you carrying in the truck?  Does it see dirt?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
The truck is a 06 2500HD Crewcab Silverado, when I was dropping off some scrap steel the other day it said my weight on the scale empty was 6,500.  I haul everything from my jeep, skidsteers, mini excavators, dump trailers, concrete, trenchers, anything like that.  I typically haul a trailer a couple times a month and the trailer and skidsteer combo I used weighed about 14,500.  It does see dirt, Im out on different jobsites daily, some of them are hard packed dirt and others are mud.  I also use my truck on some of the bigger trails at redbird or another place around here called the ranch for cleanup days for hauling trash, stone, drainage pipe and tools out to the trails.  I currently have 285/75/16 Hankook MT's on there right now and like those tires they grab pretty well offroad they have just worn down quick. 

JohnnyO

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
I had Bridgestone REVO's on my old Sport Trac, hands-down the best A/T I ever had.  Surprisingly good in mud, fantastic in snow, no issues in rain.  Downside, they wore out kinda fast but I was using P-metrics on a Sport Trac, which is not a light vehicle.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »
I had Bridgestone REVO's on my old Sport Trac, hands-down the best A/T I ever had.  Surprisingly good in mud, fantastic in snow, no issues in rain.  Downside, they wore out kinda fast but I was using P-metrics on a Sport Trac, which is not a light vehicle.

Same for me on the Revos.  Had a set only at 29" but they were great in the wet, decent off road, braked great. I got 4 years out of them -- about 40k miles. Ordered from Tirerack.com
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Well the Bridgestone AT's I had were on the truck when I bought it, and they didnt have a ton of tread on them so maybe its just cause they were worn down  I think im kinda leaning towards the bfg's at the moment...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
I'd consider BFG's if you run on hard packed dirt a lot.  Oversized Car tires are OK for onroad but give up quickly when they see dirt. Especially if that dirt is wet.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »
My dad is running the Michelins, best tire hes had on his Dodge Diesel.
My brother is running the KM2's on his F250 4 door and last week hunting they were awesome...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

CopperHead_Road

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:52:47 AM »
 Greetings, well I am new to this forum and just wanted to add my input. I read what brands that you are considering and just wanted to give you another tire to look at. My recomendation would be the Cooper Discoverer S/T tire. http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_st    I have run these in the past with great results on my tow rig and my 1988 3/4 ton Dodge Powerwagon. I use both as a workhorse. Great road manners and they shine in all weather both on/off road. They are D rated and have the 285/75/16. I have put 50k plus on 2 sets of these. Just rotate each oil change and you should be good to go.

I live up in the mountains of east Tennessee and farm several of our families properties. I have put these Coopers through some real tests. They hold up well.

Later,

CH_R

Torch_Ind

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
I'd do the BFG's. Tried and true, been around forever. Works good on about everything but mud.

+1

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
Welcome from Indiana, Copperhead, I had another friend recommend the Coopers to me this morning, he's a big fan of the 35" cooper STT on his Titan and puts his through the jobsites daily and loves them.  That will be one I look in to also

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »
Welcome from Indiana, Copperhead, I had another friend recommend the Coopers to me this morning, he's a big fan of the 35" cooper STT on his Titan and puts his through the jobsites daily and loves them.  That will be one I look in to also
Without knowing the exact terrain there, I'd be more inclined to go with what others use.