Author Topic: 95 YJ Build questions  (Read 5559 times)

bofer84

Re: 95 YJ Build questions
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
ok, here are the pictures.  Sorry it took so long.  I purchase this for 3k out the door.  A good Deal??  It has zero rust, everything works great.  I need a new soft top (probably a half cab im thining) and i just got done installing new speakers in the roll bar and a new head unit :).

Up next - looking for either a set of Dana 44s front and rear, as i want to start preparing for my swap.  I plan to run 35s - 36s.  I also wanted to see if yall thought this was a good deal.  Its local, dont know anything about them other then the guy wanted to put them under a grand wagoneer.  Its a dana 60 rear, and large knuckle 44 front out of a ford truck.  Dont know what year, but will this work for a SOA YJ????  i bet i can get them for 400.  here is the link.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2109284399.html

enjoy the pics.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:30:41 PM by Jeffy »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
I think you will really want to do some more research on axle swaps and what works.  Do you want to go full-width or standard width?

The ad doesn't really say much other then D60.  They look old since the front has drum brakes.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

bofer84

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
i think i want to stay stock width, or a little wider.  I only plan on running a max tire size of 35-36s, and a max wheelbase of maybe 1 or 2 inches longer then what its at stock (reverse shackle setup)  will dana 44s stand up to abuse with those size tires and lockers?  my goal is to build this jeep up over the next 4 years, and for my 30th Birthday go to Moab for 2 weeks and wheel EJS for the first time :)  I just want a reliable rig that can hold up with 36s i guess.  Any specific axles i should be looking for.  Wagoner axles?

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »
Waggy axles will work fine. Not many tire companies make a 36. There is lots of 35's on the market.

Really the D30 front is pretty good for it's size. Needs deeper gearing though. I ran 35's and 4.88's for years. If your gonna do a tranny swap and loose 5th gear you would be happy with 4.88's and a 4 speed manual IMO. Could save some money by keeping the D30 and ditch the D35 in the trash.
You could do the Ford 8.8 and stay with the same bolt pattern. Plus it saves on labor if you can't do the swap yourself if your only swapping one axle.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

bofer84

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/2158134983.html

What are yalls thoughts on these rear dana 60s?  they are all 35 spline, full floaters etc...I dont want to buy an axle, and have it be worthless for me lol.

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/2158134983.html

What are yalls thoughts on these rear dana 60s?  they are all 35 spline, full floaters etc...I dont want to buy an axle, and have it be worthless for me lol.

They would work if you want full width axles. You would need to do something with the front to match the 8 lug pattern. With only a 35 inch tire or so they are gonna be a boat anchor! The center section of a D60 is massive and will snag on everything unless you run a tire over 37 inch.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

bofer84

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
what about 37s and a 4 banger lol...not sure how that would work???  im assuming i would need some steep gears (which the dana 60 could hold) 

Any idea how much it is to narrow the axles?

bofer84

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
i think im going to pick one of these up.  any way to know if its straight and true?   anything specific to look for, or how much i should pay for one?  Guess i need to start looking for a front 60 :) now

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »

i'm going to guess to cut the tubes and reweld them probably at least $500

keep in mind that you'll need shorter axles as well (the axle shafts) or to cut and re-spline the existing ones (apparently it can be done)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
what about 37s and a 4 banger lol...not sure how that would work???  im assuming i would need some steep gears (which the dana 60 could hold) 

I ran 37 inch MTR's the older style for a couple of years. I don't trailer so it's driven everywhere. It wasn't to bad with 5.38 gears. It could of used some lower gears but all in all not to bad. I would have kept them but the choice of 37 inch tires and 15 inch wheels is pretty slim. So I sold them and bought 35's.

Not sure what labor would be on shortening the housing and shafts. Prolly looking at the 1K range for both.
You would still need to swap out the front axle for gearing and wheel pattern.
Scott~

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
If you go with the D60s I would recommend keeping them full width.  This is because you will be able to run huge tires, and being able to do so, you will probably end up doing it.  With the huge tires, keeping the Jeep stable becomes an issue and full width axles will help keep the Jeep from flopping.
It's also a good idea to keep things stock to that you can replace broken shafts with something standard instead of the much more expensive custom stuff.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

bofer84

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »
as always, we start out wanting one thing, and move on to something bigger.  Originally i was thinking an 8.8 rear, but now have come across a dana 60 rear im interested in.  guy wants 200 for it, says it came out of a 79 F250.  It was under his mud truck, but he is switching to a 14 bolt.  He just rebuilt it with new bearings and seals, and last he drove the truck, it was just fine.  it has been converted to disks, but does not include calipers.  What are you thoughts for swinging this thing under my 4 banger 95 yj?  hoping to track down a dana 60 front here soon to match :)  picking it up this weekend :)

Thoughts?
http://lakeland.craigslist.org/pts/2198604689.html

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »
as always, we start out wanting one thing, and move on to something bigger.  Originally i was thinking an 8.8 rear, but now have come across a dana 60 rear im interested in.  guy wants 200 for it, says it came out of a 79 F250.  It was under his mud truck, but he is switching to a 14 bolt.  He just rebuilt it with new bearings and seals, and last he drove the truck, it was just fine.  it has been converted to disks, but does not include calipers.  What are you thoughts for swinging this thing under my 4 banger 95 yj?  hoping to track down a dana 60 front here soon to match :)  picking it up this weekend :)

Thoughts?
http://lakeland.craigslist.org/pts/2198604689.ht

For that price it sounds to good to be true. It would stick out a bit on both sides. Finding a front to match would be a good idea.
Scott~

bofer84

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
definitely going to find a front 60 to match.  he says last time he drove it it did fine, and he has never really had any issues with it.  I just dont want to buy it and get screwed and end up with a housing thats bent or something.  he said since he was taking the axle out this weekend and putting the 14 bolt in, he would check the spline count for me, (bet its a 30ff) which is fine i think.  What are you thoughts guys?  it doesn't come with calipers, so how much would that be? 

bofer84

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:58 AM »
have a line on some axles but not sure about them.  I can get them for 800.00,( hes asking 1k)  front LP dana 44, rear dana 60.  they are both from a 1975 F250 high boy.  the front axle is king pin, closed knuckle though.  however they are both built, with 5.38 gears front and rear, detroit in rear, and trutrac in front, spicer forged axles and new seals, new breaks, new drums F/R etc...including new warn lockout hubs.  IT is also set up for a yj SOA which is what i want to do.  the dana 44 front also has the Large knuckles (they look like basketballs lol)  Is this a good swap candidate or should i pass on these?  Please help  :biggrin: