Author Topic: 95 YJ Build questions  (Read 5566 times)

bofer84

95 YJ Build questions
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
1995 YJ.  This is my 2nd jeep, but first ever "Build".  Its primary use will be the trail/around town vehicle/fun extra vehicle.  My plan is to eventually build this jeep to handle Moab etc...as thats one of my dreams, but also be able to get me around town if i want etc...

My goal is 35-36" tires, 8.8 rear, SOA, new tranny as well, as the synchros are going out in this ax5.

My questions are the following:
1: Wanting to mat a NP435 up to my 4 squires, i have read the swaps etc...but no one has really said if this would be a good tranny for my application.  Im a little worried about the gearing on a 4 cylinder.  Are there any other options that wont break the bank??  Keep in mind a used np435 is like 2-300 :)  What kind of gearing should my axles have with this type of tranny and 35s?

2: SOA- how much should it cost a shop to install a SOA, NP435 tranny (matted to the NP231 via an adapter) and ford 8.8 rear?  I know i would be hitting up Tom Woods as well :)  I would do all this myself, but i literally dont have the time, and have very little experience welding (i can do it, but they probably wouldn't be the best welds)

My name is Bo, and im happy to be back into a jeep :)  i look forward to contributing as much knowledge as i can to this forum.

Bo

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: 95 YJ Build questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
I've heard the NP435 can be mated to the 2.5L but I'm not sure how.  I do know the SM420 and SM465's can though.  For 35's you'll want 5.38's or maybe even 5.89's if you aren't going to be going on the highways.  Keep in mind that the NP435 as well as the SM's have a granny low so really it's more like having a 3-speed.  If you're going to swap the transmission, you might consider going with a Ford Dana 18 as well.  You will need new axles t get to 5.38's or lower.  Stock axles will limit you to 4.88's.  If you want to limit your on road ability then you could go with 4.88's to save a little.

Standard shop rates are something like $60-$90/hr.  SOA wouldn't be too bad IF they know what they're doing.  If you knew what you're doing, you could have them weld the perches and shock mounts on that that would be it.  Transmission would be expensive.  I'd say you'd be spending 4-5x as much as you will spend on the parts alone or 1.5-2x if you're buying new parts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:56:00 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:25:14 AM »
Doesn't Rubicon Express have a SOA kit? I know several folks swear by their springs for the SOA...

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_b150gm.htm
I don't know of any adapters for the NP435 but the above link is for the GM SM420 and SM465. (they also have the adapter for the 231) Both have deep first gears and can be had for cheap. (less than 200 if you look). All the 4 speed trannys have a 1:1 4th gear so no over drive. So for axle gearing 4.88's and 35 inch tires will put you in the 3000 RPM range for 65 MPH. That is what I would do.

I'd skip the SOA myself. It's a lot of work and you need to address the axle wrap. Just get some good springs and stay spring under. Plus you can do the spring under job yourself and save money. If you want the best springs look at Deaver springs. http://www.deaverspring.com/products/leafsjs.html I am running these and they are wonderful!! Also Alcan can make you some. http://www.alcanspring.com/ . Or if you looking for some more reasonable price springs the RE 4.5 XD is a good way to go.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
Doesn't Rubicon Express have a SOA kit? I know several folks swear by their springs for the SOA...

Dave
Their idea of a kit is a box of parts.  You have to weld the perches on and after that it's no different then any other list kit.

I've thought about going with Deaver springs BUT I'm not sure if they will give me the same amount of height.  I'm on some saggy stock leafs (SOA) but I like the ride and height.  It's probably somewhere between 4.5-5" actually.

Scott, aren't you running SJ leafs though?

If you want to keep your CG low (this is the current trend) you could get away with 3-4" and trim the fenders.  Then extend the bumpstop's so the tires aren't eating up the body.  You'd probably have 2-3" of up-travel and whatever down.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
The fronts are Deaver H78 or H79 whatever the fronts is on their site. The rears I had Deaver make me a custom set. Before I had the custom set made I ran the H78/H79 setup. Real nice. I stretched the rear 4 inches so I had the custom ones built.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

bofer84

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
the reason for going SOA in the front is for clearance.   I plan on keeping it SUA in the rear to address the rear axle hop, except i will be adding a ford 8.8 with an 3/4 elliptical :)  ill make some retainers so i can lock them when im on the rd.

so you think the gm tranny is the way to go?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »
the reason for going SOA in the front is for clearance.   I plan on keeping it SUA in the rear to address the rear axle hop, except i will be adding a ford 8.8 with an 3/4 elliptical :)  ill make some retainers so i can lock them when im on the rd.

SOA front SUA rear works well if you take the time.  It's what I run.

The SM's seem to be more common and the swap has been done before, many times.

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »

Any 4 inch lift with some TJ flares will clear 35's. If not add a 1 inch body lift or shackle lift. You will need to address steering issues with SOA front.
Stay with the traditional leaf springs. Those 3/4 are nice for a trailer queen but for a Jeep that see's a fair amount of road use it's to floppy.
The GM trannys are very plentiful and very strong, and very cheap. The SM465 was in production from the mid 60's - the mid 80's. Plus parts and adapters are avail.
Scott~

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
Any 4 inch lift with some TJ flares will clear 35's. If not add a 1 inch body lift or shackle lift. You will need to address steering issues with SOA front.
Stay with the traditional leaf springs. Those 3/4 are nice for a trailer queen but for a Jeep that see's a fair amount of road use it's to floppy.
The GM trannys are very plentiful and very strong, and very cheap. The SM465 was in production from the mid 60's - the mid 80's. Plus parts and adapters are avail.
Technically, you would need to address the steering even if you had a SUA.  It just becomes more apparent as the SOA is usually softer then it's SUA counterpart.  The SUA hides it in a sense.

DodgeMudder

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »

I run SOA and 3/4 eliptical in the rear of my YJ with no issues on or off road with it.  I did run a heavier up leaf than just a YJ main, so that it would be a little stiffer, I lose a little flex but have no issues with it being floppy or unloading when I don't want it.  Of course I'm also running fullsize springs instead of Jeep springs for my SOA too.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
If you go with a GM tranny, the SM465, compared to the SM420,  has a gearing gap between 3rd and 4th more similar to the gap between 3rd and 4th on the AX5, this may be important for highway drivability where at least I end up shifting between these two gears on uphills and downhills.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
The SM tranny's have almost the same gearing other than 1st. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm465.htm
I would think that 2nd to 3rd would be an issue to. There is a pretty big gap there. But the SM trannys have a bit lower 2nd gear compaired to the NP435 so taking off in 2nd might be a bit easier with the SM's too. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np435.htm

As for steering normally a drop pitman arm will fix most steering issues with SUA front.

Personally I like the idea of KISS when it comes to suspension set ups. Some good quality springs are well worth the money from the start. No matter if you run SOA/SUA or a combo. I have been through 3 sets of springs. If I ponied up and bought the good ones from the start I would have saved a ton of time and money.

Bo: if your plan on doing most of this work yourself and plan on driving it a lot on the street. I say stick with normal type leaf springs. Weather you choose a combo of SUA and SOA. You will spend more time using it and less time trying to figure out what works and what does not.
Scott~

bofer84

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
Thanks guys.  No pics yet, i came straight home from work and started working on it.  First thing i did was Seafoam it :)  i had a nice smoke show, and it seems to run better now.  Next i cut that stupid roll bar pad off....it was old anyway.  Today i also ordered a rockhard license plate light from North Ridge :)

I also found out today i have a LSD?????  i was doing a U turn and pulled off to the side of the road, popped the clutch a little and left 2 wheel tracks :)  I guess i have a LSD with the 2.5???  I would love to look back there and find an 8.8, but i don't think im that lucky :)

Next mods are probably a new sound bar and safari snorkel.  I dont have inner fenders and a little worried about getting water in the intake.  I live in Central Fl and you never know how deep some of these holes are...they might eat lil blue :)

AS for my lift, im definitely going to do a SUA in the rear (probably a 4.5" ?) and a SOA in front, with a high steer kit :)  I only plan on running 35-36" tires and keepin the 4 banger so i think ill survive with the 30 and 8.8 out back.

jonzjeepyj

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »
I'm at the point of SOA or not also.  Currently, I'm running 4" susp lift,
1" shackle lift, 1" body lift, hack and cut home brew flatty front fenders
and TJ fender flares in the rear.  I'm running 35x12.5 BFG TA KO's and
love the set up now.  I'm geared to 4.88 with stock axles.  I love my set
up and was able to do almost all the work myself.  Great learning process
along the way.

Here are my stats with a couple pics .....

92YJ/2.5L/5-Speed/D30-35/4.88's/AX5/N231J
TeraFlex High Steer Kit/Solid Front Axle Conversion
Super Coil/Live wires/14" E-Fan/4L TB/19lb Injectors
AA-SYE/CV Rear DS/Tom Woods front Drive Shaft
1" Lift S-Reversal Kit Up Front/1" lift Shackles Rear
4" Rough Country Susp Lift SUA/1" Daystar Body Lift
Home Brew Hack and Cut Flatty Front Fenders
Trimmed TJ front and Rear Fender Flairs/CJ Mirrors
35x12.5x15 BFG TA KO's/15x10 AR Outlaw 1 Wheels
High Lift Jack/D-Rings/9000lb Winch/Tow Hooks

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:27:02 PM by jonzjeepyj »