Author Topic: Dome light  (Read 1177 times)

longhorn

Dome light
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:21:57 PM »
I pulled the fuse for the dome light and the door dinger about 8 months ago and bout a month ago i put my doors back on and put the fuse back in but now niether the door dinger nor my dome light will work. i put a new fuse in and new bulbs in the dome light but it still wont work. i dont give a crap bout the door dinger not working but i would really like my dome light to work again. anyone have any suggestions
 :stupid:

Torch_Ind

Re: Dome light
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
did you check the door switch or for power at the fuse?

Offline jagular7

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
New fuse is a good to use fuse? 

You can take a 12v indicator lamp and see if there is 12v on both sides of the fuse.

Dome light bulb is still good?
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »
Or just turn the headlight switch to the left until the dome light comes on...it should still work that way even with the door/key fuse removed.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŽ
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Or just turn the headlight switch to the left until the dome light comes on...it should still work that way even with the door/key fuse removed.

you mean the dimmer? that's correct, would turn on if you click it past max.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

longhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:54:02 AM »
There is no power at the fuse and turning the headlight switch wont turn it on
 :beers:

Dylan

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »
The door defeat fuse just completes or breaks the ground circuit for the door switches, the power fuse for the dome light is in your PDC under the hood.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŽ
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »
There is no power at the fuse and turning the headlight switch wont turn it on

i think he was talking about the dimmer not the actual headlight switch. if you turn the dimmer all the way so the light in your gauges is bright at that point if you go past the max it will click and the lights under the dash will come on (regardless if the doors are open or shut) - i don't know if this applies to the dome light or not (dylan mentioned that it's on a different circuit) but it's worth a try.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
Well...yeah....dimmer knob and head light knob are one and the same on the TJ...turn the head light knob counterclockwide until it clicks and the dome should come on...even with the door/ignition ding fuse removed.  That's why I permanently removed mine.  Just need to make sure I turn off my headlights when I leave the Jeep.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

longhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:56:13 AM »
Even turning the dimmer all the way will not turn the dome light on and i checked all the fuses under the hood and they were all good. I really want the dome light to come on when i open the door. Its really annoying not being able to find things in my Jeep at night without having to grab a flashlight

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Time to get a VOM out and see what's getting power.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."