Author Topic: Axles??  (Read 10813 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Axles??
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »
So its an air locker. Hell I have no clue how to set up one of those. Hell really when you look at it no matter which on you go with its gonna be 1500 or so all said and done.
That's about the sum of it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
So its an air locker. Hell I have no clue how to set up one of those. Hell really when you look at it no matter which on you go with its gonna be 1500 or so all said and done.

they are not that hard to setup, the difference between this one and the ARB is the pressure being low in the Rubi's case - it is a great option to have though.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

No Luck

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »

See if you can get the pump with the rear end for 1100.

4BangerTJ

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
even if I do get them both for 1100 I still gotta pay someone who knows how to hook up the air locker stuff and I need to regear to 4.88s so that's more too.

No Luck

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
You can do it all you got to do is try ;)

4BangerTJ

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2011, 07:59:23 AM »
I know I can do it but I don't have the money to do it all right now and I'm trying to get the beast ready for some wheeling next month.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
I know I can do it but I don't have the money to do it all right now and I'm trying to get the beast ready for some wheeling next month.
The cheapest option would then be the TJ D44 or else find someone trading up.  There is a bit of welding just to get the control arms, track bar and coil buckets moved.  A gear change is going to add $200-800 just in labor for one axle.  So if you're going to regear do the axle swap nad have the new axles regeared so you're not doing it over again.

Honestly though, if you're not locked then just carry some spare shafts and spiders and then go have fun.  Just don't drive with your ham fists.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

DodgeMudder

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »

Just toss on some agressive tires and wheel it, if your stock, run 31's, it will work and get you on the trails.  Way to many people have this it must be built huge to wheel mentality and it's just stupid, my heep isn't significantly better on any trails now I'm SOA 3/4 eliptical in the rear, on 34's or 36's than what it was when I had worn out springs, that flexed well, sitting shorter than a stock Jeep on 31" MTs.  Yes I can run a couple harder obsticles, but all in all thats a very minor part of a wheeling day.

4BangerTJ

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
My whole thing is this. I want to be able to wheel with minimal breaking. I also want a nice looking jeep. it has 31 inch mts now. I don't like the look of it. Its too low and the tires look like babies. Now my original plan was 3 inches of lift and some 33s but everyone tells me I WILL break the d35 eventually. I want to eliminate breakage so I just assume spend a little more and do it right with a new axle. But hell then I was thinking if I'm gonna drop 1500 in an axle I might as well go with a bit bigger lift and some 35s. That's where I'm at now is trying to figure out the best route to go. I think I'm going to try and for now get an 8.8 with 4.10s and run that till I can upgrade the gears ad a locker. Does anybody know what year explorers the ones with 4.10s came from?

No Luck

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
And there is the catch the 4:10s are alot harder to find in the 8.8. buy the Rubi axle and run the locker as a LSD until you can get the pump hooked up. it's a win win deal.

4BangerTJ

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
hmmm good point. The issue I have with that is that again I am new to this and also just moved to oklahoma 8 months ago and no clue where to look to find a rubicon axle around here and shopping online they are way too expensive. I found one here through a savage for 1100 with no pump or brakes. That seems pricey.

No Luck

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
Try here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nY51V6tpq8 I think his prices include shipping.

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
Where in Oklahoma are you?

4BangerTJ

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
tulsa but hell I'm not opposed to driving a little bit for a good deal.

4BangerTJ

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
I don't know what that youtube link was supposed to have all I saw was a link to an ebay store that doesn exist anymore.