Author Topic: Where is my temp sender?  (Read 1342 times)

Quite Happy

Where is my temp sender?
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
OK, I've managed to make my oil pressure gauge work (previous owner had it wired wrong), and my gas gauge now works.  My coolant temperature gauge works, except that I can't seem to find where the sender is located on the engine.  I've nailed down the wire by using an ohmeter connected to each end.  Now I just need to find the place to plug it in on the engine side.  Does anybody out there know?  It's a 1985 CJ7, with the 4-banger motor (duh, I'm on a 4-banger site, fer cryin' out loud).  None of the manuals I can find actually show the sensor on the motor.

Offline chardrc

Re: Where is my temp sender?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »
unless it was different for the cj than the yj, the coolent temp sensor for the gauge was on the back (near the firewall) driver side of the head. looks like a really small stud with a wire pushed over it..... may be different on the cj though..

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f2/30579d1290639651-temp-gauge-sending-unit-r4.jpg
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
does he have the AMC or the Pontiac 2.5L? I thought '87 was the changeover year, not sure though.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Quite Happy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
I have the AMC motor.  When I get home this evening, I'll check your location, chardrc.

Quite Happy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »
unless it was different for the cj than the yj, the coolent temp sensor for the gauge was on the back (near the firewall) driver side of the head. looks like a really small stud with a wire pushed over it..... may be different on the cj though..

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f2/30579d1290639651-temp-gauge-sending-unit-r4.jpg

You were right on the location.  I couldn't see it, but found it by feeling around.  The wire was not attached, and I knew it had to be nearby.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I plugged the wire to another spot that I thought was the temp sender, and it grounded the gauge so that it pegged.  By the time I realized this was the wrong place, the gauge was fried.  I pulled it out and, sure enough, the little wire inside is all black, toasted and broken.  Now I get to find the OEM gauge at either a junkyard or online somewhere.  Parts stores want to sell me an aftermarket gauge, but I want the one that goes in with the speedo, and they all look at me like I'm an alien or something.  They may be right, but I still want the OEM gauge.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »
You were right on the location.  I couldn't see it, but found it by feeling around.  The wire was not attached, and I knew it had to be nearby.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I plugged the wire to another spot that I thought was the temp sender, and it grounded the gauge so that it pegged.  By the time I realized this was the wrong place, the gauge was fried.  I pulled it out and, sure enough, the little wire inside is all black, toasted and broken.  Now I get to find the OEM gauge at either a junkyard or online somewhere.  Parts stores want to sell me an aftermarket gauge, but I want the one that goes in with the speedo, and they all look at me like I'm an alien or something.  They may be right, but I still want the OEM gauge.
You're lucky.  It's a rare find to have all the gauges working in the speedo.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

YJWralph

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
Looking for something like this?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11029

Quite Happy

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:48:31 PM »
Looking for something like this?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11029
Thanks, YJWralph.  I may be going an entirely different direction.  I may replace the entire dash and relocate everything with all new gauges and a new speedo, so everything matches.  It's a project, anyway, right?

YJWralph

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
You got that right!  :beers: