Author Topic: Flowmaster Super 44 Opinions  (Read 2769 times)

RT

Flowmaster Super 44 Opinions
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Ok, so I just bought a flowmaster Super 44 for my TJ, I'm running an intake and a stock cat...but my stock system from the cat back is pretty shot. I was going to do the Flowmaster with 2.5 inch pipe. So far, I really like the muffler. I've never read a single complaint about them on jeeps. I've heard soundclips of them on both 4.0s and 2.5 liter jeeps, and I've heard it in person mounted on a 4 cylinder tacoma. But before I drop a $200 dollars to have this thing welded together and chop up my old system I'd like to get some feedback... So what do you guys think?

4BangerTJ

Re: Flowmaster Super 44 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »
I have never personally heard one on a jeep but I have one on my 00 denali and I love the sound. hope that helps at all.

RT

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Yeah, well I'm getting a pipe and flange on the cat output, so maybe I should just have them clamp it together so I can put something else on it if I don't like it. But if it's amazingly awesome then have them weld it. Is it really loud on the denalli?

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »
Don't know about the 44, I have a 50 and it's loud but not to bad. The larger sized motors always sound better with the Flowmaster line of mufflers. The small motor ones don't have the right tone IMO.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

4BangerTJ

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
It is pretty loud outside the truck but not in but then again it is dumped off behind the muffler with a turndown. I do agree that a flowmaster is designed more for a v8 IMO not a 4 banger.I will prolly be going with a banks catback on mine personally.

RT

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
Ya, just went to the shop....the dude's wife had a jeep with an itty bitty little magnaflow on it. And it sounded peeeeerfect...I'm getting it instead haha thanks guys

Offline andpgud

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:43 AM »
What magnaflow did it have?

RT

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:43 AM »
I don't know what the part number was, but it was a really small straight through off/center muffler. It was about ten percent smaller than the super 44.

RT

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's the same magnaflow in the turbo city kit.

RT

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
do you think I'll lose my low end because of the straight through design.......I'm still running the stock cat and the guy said I wouldn't but idk

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »
do you think I'll lose my low end because of the straight through design.......I'm still running the stock cat and the guy said I wouldn't but idk

I don't think you will, the Jeep cam is already advanced (if i recall correctly) to help with the low end torque so i would think the impact would be minimal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:25:02 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

RT

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
that's good because I ended up going with the dynomax ultra flow.... a straight through big bodied muffler lol :blbl:

4BangerTJ

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
You know I gotta retract my prior statement about the flowmaster cause I got online last night and listened to mutiple different brands on youtube and the flowmaster 50 series two chamber muffler was the only one that I thought didn't sound like a honda. also I noticed that setups wth headers were a way deeper tone than just a muffler.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »
You know I gotta retract my prior statement about the flowmaster cause I got online last night and listened to mutiple different brands on youtube and the flowmaster 50 series two chamber muffler was the only one that I thought didn't sound like a honda. also I noticed that setups wth headers were a way deeper tone than just a muffler.

That's what I have without the header. Headers do make the tone a bit deeper.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

RT

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
Actually the dynomax sounds sick, it honestly sounds like a 6 or even a small 8...plus I have a noticeable torque pickup and getting up to speed on the highway doesn't give me headaches anymore. It's surprising quite for a straight through and crazy deep, i'd definitely recommend it.