Author Topic: Trouble with an A904 transmission?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline k

Trouble with an A904 transmission?
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
Anybody ever mess with the A904's behind the 4bangers?  Wondering if that is why my MPG might not be up to par.  Rebuilt it years ago with a TCI kit when it burned up (piece of trash blocked the line long enough for it to drop into second at 75 MPH outside Charleston).  Main reason for the kit was when I put into first, I wanted it to stay there, and not upshift if I was using the transmission to control speed during decents.  Everything was replaced, including torque converter.  I noticed that since then, when it kicks into passing gear, the RPM goes up, but the speed will go down.   If I am at the right speed, I can drop it into second manually and it will take off.  Any ideas out there?
1995 2in pucs, 2.5 suspension, 33 BFG's, 4.0 TB, TBS, Auto w/ TCI shiftkit, header, flowmaster, Jacobs Ignition, ARB's front and rear, Rock-it tube w/K&N filter, SYE kit.

RT

Re: Trouble with an A904 transmission?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »
If your rpms are going up and your speed is going down when it's trying to downshift then it sounds like it's getting stuck in neutral in between gears during the shifting process. Are you running good fluid in it?

Offline k

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
If your rpms are going up and your speed is going down when it's trying to downshift then it sounds like it's getting stuck in neutral in between gears during the shifting process. Are you running good fluid in it?

Only affects it when it is trying to go into "passing gear"  Manually shift into second and it does just fine.  Not sure of the fluid.  I put it in years ago when it was rebuilt, and since the jeep is not a daily driver, it has not even gotten 30,000 miles on it since.  I have only really begun to notice it since doing some mods that allow it to get up to that kind of speed again.  It could have been doing it ever since the rebuild, and that is what I am wondering.  Was something not done right, or need adjusting.  Might need to find a good transmissiion shop around here and let them look at it.
1995 2in pucs, 2.5 suspension, 33 BFG's, 4.0 TB, TBS, Auto w/ TCI shiftkit, header, flowmaster, Jacobs Ignition, ARB's front and rear, Rock-it tube w/K&N filter, SYE kit.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »
Only affects it when it is trying to go into "passing gear"  Manually shift into second and it does just fine.  Not sure of the fluid.  I put it in years ago when it was rebuilt, and since the jeep is not a daily driver, it has not even gotten 30,000 miles on it since.  I have only really begun to notice it since doing some mods that allow it to get up to that kind of speed again.  It could have been doing it ever since the rebuild, and that is what I am wondering.  Was something not done right, or need adjusting.  Might need to find a good transmissiion shop around here and let them look at it.

you may have to adjust a shift cable if you have done mods to the engine to increase power

what year of jeep?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:44:05 AM by Torch_Ind »

Offline k

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:40:06 AM »
you may have to adjust a shift cable if you have done mods to the engine to increase power

what year of jeep?
1995 YJ.   One other note, when I let it sit for an extended period of time,(a week) it will lose pressure.  Put it in gear, and it won't move for a moment until pressure builds in the tranny.  I have a small leak in a line running to the radiator, but it only mists every now and then, and doesn't leave "droppings".  Could be the source of the bleed down though.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:12 AM »
1995 YJ.   One other note, when I let it sit for an extended period of time,(a week) it will lose pressure.  Put it in gear, and it won't move for a moment until pressure builds in the tranny.  I have a small leak in a line running to the radiator, but it only mists every now and then, and doesn't leave "droppings".  Could be the source of the bleed down though.

thats not good buddy. I would tackle the leak on the off chance it's causing a air pocket but if you fix that and it doesn't help to me it sounds like the pump in the trans is going. my dad had that prob in his 95 ram and when it would build up pressure it would go in to gear really harsh!!

I'm no trans expert though. I would fix any leak or problem you can tackle and if that doesn't make a diff I would have someone tear in to it or start looking for a replacement..