Author Topic: Ford computer in my CJ?  (Read 1067 times)

Quite Happy

Ford computer in my CJ?
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
I pulled the dash off my CJ this weekend in an effort to make my gauges work.  Previous owner didn't seem to be much interested in knowing what's going on with the motor while it's running, because absolutely nothing worked.  Anyway, I pull off the dash, and there sitting on top of the heater, right where it belongs, is the computer, but it has a Ford Motor Company sticker on it.  My question is, did some nimrod replace the original Jeep computer with a Ford, or did Fomoco manufacture the electronics for the AMC motors in '85?  It's an '85 CJ7 with the AMC 2.5 motor.

Torch_Ind

Re: Ford computer in my CJ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
I pulled the dash off my CJ this weekend in an effort to make my gauges work.  Previous owner didn't seem to be much interested in knowing what's going on with the motor while it's running, because absolutely nothing worked.  Anyway, I pull off the dash, and there sitting on top of the heater, right where it belongs, is the computer, but it has a Ford Motor Company sticker on it.  My question is, did some nimrod replace the original Jeep computer with a Ford, or did Fomoco manufacture the electronics for the AMC motors in '85?  It's an '85 CJ7 with the AMC 2.5 motor.

85 had a computer?

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
i know at least the spark modulus for the cj7's where a ford duraspark system.. so the computer for the carb being ford doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
i know at least the spark modulus for the cj7's where a ford duraspark system.. so the computer for the carb being ford doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me...

what do you need a computer for a carb for?

Quite Happy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »
Beats me, but it's there, plugged in and everything.  Maybe it controls mixture and such, since the only adjustment screws on the carb are for the idle speed and idle mixture.  There are 2 plugs on the passenger side under the hood for plugging in diagnostic equipment, so maybe the computer just stores info on how the motor is operating for diagnosing problems. 

Offline chardrc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
what do you need a computer for a carb for?

back in the days of pulse air whatnot for crabs to meet emissions....  basically they had a ton of junk hooked up to the carb with stepermotors that opened passages for extra air to try to control fuel mixture... basically its what the "nutter bypass" eliminates.. (basically the same between the 4.2 and 2.5l iirc)
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Torch_Ind

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
back in the days of pulse air whatnot for crabs to meet emissions....  basically they had a ton of junk hooked up to the carb with stepermotors that opened passages for extra air to try to control fuel mixture... basically its what the "nutter bypass" eliminates.. (basically the same between the 4.2 and 2.5l iirc)

my buddy just ditched all the fresh air stuff on his 4.2L and swapped to a nicer carb but I don't remember there being a computer..

and my buddy's is a older YJ.. didn't figure cj's had any kind of stuff like that is all
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:43:39 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
That thing is there to retard ignition timing and it most likely controls the feedback carb. Do a search for the Nutter bypass
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Quite Happy

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
The Nutter bypass looks interesting.  I know it's not smog-legal, especially in California where I am, but I don't have to worry about that for another year and a half, so I may give it a shot.  Thanks for all the input, folks.