Author Topic: Switch Panel  (Read 5185 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Switch Panel
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
I am in the process of building a switch panel, I am looking for feedback on what should i plan for (ideas of what switches to have on the panel).

so far I am planning for these (they are all SPST switches except for #5):
1. front locker ON/OFF
2. rear locker ON/OFF
3. spot ligths ON/OFF
4. Winch ON/OFF
5. Winch IN/OFF/OUT (Momentary ON - OFF - Momentary ON)
6. radiator fan AUTO(on)/OFF/Manual(on)
7. Sway Bar Disconnect

what other switches you have on your panel?

I am planning to use toggle switches with shuttle style guards to prevent accidental trip like these

and make an engraved faceplate to which these would mount on
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

st.chevrolet

Re: Switch Panel
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
I am in the process of building a switch panel, I am looking for feedback on what should i plan for (ideas of what switches to have on the panel).

so far I am planning for these (they are all SPST switches except for #5):
1. front locker ON/OFF
2. rear locker ON/OFF
3. spot ligths ON/OFF
4. Winch ON/OFF
7. Sway Bar Disconnect

what other switches you have on your panel?

I am planning to use toggle switches with shuttle style guards to prevent accidental trip like these

and make an engraved faceplate to which these would mount on

Air Compressor ON/OFF
Driving Lights ON/OFF
Back-up Lights ON/OFF
Rock Lights ON/OFF

If you change your mind on switches Sharp check these out, http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=5 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:07:21 PM by st.chevrolet »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
Air Compressor ON/OFF
Driving Lights ON/OFF
Back-up Lights ON/OFF
Rock Lights ON/OFF

If you change your mind on switches Sharp check these out, http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=5 

air compressor - dunno how i missed that one :lol: thanks for that  :thumb: (I guess that's why i'm asking)
so now I'm at
1. front locker ON/OFF
2. rear locker ON/OFF
3. spot ligths ON/OFF
4. Winch ON/OFF
7. Air Compressor ON/OFF
8. Sway Bar Disconnect ON/OFF

I will keep the driving lights (stock ones) on the stock switch, backup lights on the reverse gear switch (although i am thinking an override might be useful). Didn't consider installing rock lights.

that was the initial plan to use some rocker switches like the ones you posted the link for, but i could not come up with a solution for installing them so they don't stick out like a sore thumb out of my flat gauge panel, that's how i came up with the toggle switches. On the plus side they look more rugged
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

st.chevrolet

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
I do not have stock driving lights, mine are after market and to be legal in BC must be wired to come on and off with the high beams through a relay when I have the switch on.
I have additional back-up lights which come on with reverse but can also be turned on with a switch, both ways  operate a relay for the additional lights.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:54:02 PM by st.chevrolet »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
this is what i have in mind for the panel

EDIT: Photobucket Resized and it looks like cr@p
here's a better view
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:10:35 PM by sharpxmen »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
here's another version of the same thing, different fonts and has mounting holes

same deal with the resizing makes it look fuzzy but here's a zoom

I also want to add LEDs or some sort of lights so it's visible when they are on, didn't decide which ones to use yet so i didn't mark the holes for those but they would be opposite to the ON/OFF writing. Am thinking of having also a light to display when the actual device is on for like the RadiatorFan or the air compressor and that would be rather centered than offset.

st.chevrolet

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »
That looks good Sharp! I like it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
Thanks,

Unfortunately those would not fit, so i had to make it less wide and less tall, this one fits - not as nice as far as fonts but there's no space for outlines so just going with regular in-fill

EDIT: only problem is the cost of this panel
Just ran an estimation on it and it comes to $82 with engravings and in-fill color or $68 for just printed graphics - either way not cheap
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:37:48 AM by sharpxmen »

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »
Thanks,

Unfortunately those would not fit, so i had to make it less wide and less tall, this one fits - not as nice as far as fonts but there's no space for outlines so just going with regular in-fill

EDIT: only problem is the cost of this panel
Just ran an estimation on it and it comes to $82 with engravings and in-fill color or $68 for just printed graphics - either way not cheap

If you are going to do it, engrave it; it will last MUCH longer, and look MUCH better!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
You could also buy letter stamps, not as s[iffy but a lot more durable
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
You could also buy letter stamps, not as s[iffy but a lot more durable

you mean punch letters/numbers? (let me know if that's what you meant)

the $82 version would have CNC milled letters and graphics (lines) that would be in-filled with white paint. the panel is anodized and CNC machined so i would think that would be durable enough, not cheap but it's a one-time expense, so i don't think or see any long term issues.

If you are going to do it, engrave it; it will last MUCH longer, and look MUCH better!

the printed graphics I agree, they won't last, so that's not an option i like (and for $15 difference not really worth it so it will be engraved)

Still need to figure out what lights or LEDs to use, I will probably have to change things around a bit but I think this last version is probably good enough for mockup. I will print it on plain paper, cut it and check how it looks on my gauge panel, i need to add an air pressure gauge in there as well so that's limiting the size.

the other option is to have it installed under the dash which would give me more room for gauges (I would want an oil temp gauge as well and there's no room for that if I keep the switch panel in there). I guess i'll have to print those 2 versions out on paper and see how they fit.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
Now, the big question is, do you do the panel for what you have, or do you leave room for what you might add?  For example, I have 2 sets of AUX lights, and I may ad a backup light as well...  I have a space for the backup light, but it means the fan switch needs relocating.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Now, the big question is, do you do the panel for what you have, or do you leave room for what you might add?  For example, I have 2 sets of AUX lights, and I may ad a backup light as well...  I have a space for the backup light, but it means the fan switch needs relocating.

if it ends up on the gauge panel then there's no extra room anyway, if it goes under the dash (below heater controls and radio area) then i might make a mount for it with a few blanks to be able to add single ones separate (so just make a single slot switch panel same style). I wouldn't just leave a hole in there, then i'd try to find a purpose for it.

b.hog

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:03:26 PM »
As far as led's to light it,why not use switches that light up when they are on? I have em in mine, different colored so I can tell which is which(besides the obvious floods),although in your case you would end up with alot of different colors.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
As far as led's to light it,why not use switches that light up when they are on? I have em in mine, different colored so I can tell which is which(besides the obvious floods),although in your case you would end up with alot of different colors.

I was looking at those and were front runners at first glance, but then while i was laying out the design i realized 2 things
1 - just like you said not that many colors available, and if i would use different colors would look like a Christmas tree.
2 - i would end up with a combination of led switches and plain switches since i have 2 and 3 position switches in there

so I figured go old school and have the lights separate.

One thing that just occurred to me is that i won't be able to see the  panel at night  :yikes: