Author Topic: HELP. More power for 4banger?  (Read 6056 times)

RT

Re: HELP. More power for 4banger?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
in my experience, dynomax is all garbage. Very loud and weathers quickly.
all the bolt on stuff helps a bit but don't expect to be blown away, no matter what their write ups or ads say.

What do you mean loud? Mine's almost stock sounding and it's stainless steel dude. Just like the magnaflow. Did you get the bullet? or run a turndown cuz then it'd be crazy loud.

Offline frhrwa

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
if drafting someone is like tailgating, I'm against it 100%.. it will get you a trip off the road if your behind me, or a taste of your steering wheel when you try to keep from hitting my hitch..  2.5L motors are not race motors, they do fine or great off road and in town.. going up hills fast isn't their forte..  you could possible seek out a 4.0L Ax15, and the works and fly up that hill a little easier..  and if your interested in doing that, I have the complete set up for you.. was going to do it to my YJ.. decided to buy an older CJ-7 for what I like to do anyway.. so, I have all this stuff in the garage.. 

chitchc2

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
Bounty hunter on this forum sells the throttle body and the spacer.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
if drafting someone is like tailgating, I'm against it 100%.. it will get you a trip off the road if your behind me, or a taste of your steering wheel when you try to keep from hitting my hitch..  2.5L motors are not race motors, they do fine or great off road and in town.. going up hills fast isn't their forte..  you could possible seek out a 4.0L Ax15, and the works and fly up that hill a little easier..  and if your interested in doing that, I have the complete set up for you.. was going to do it to my YJ.. decided to buy an older CJ-7 for what I like to do anyway.. so, I have all this stuff in the garage.. 

you don't have to be like a trailer close even 1-2 car lengths behind a big rig is all you need mainly cuts the wind for ya.

not to mention I hate the drivers that your coming up on to pass and they slam the breaks on you it's more dangerous then tailgating my my opinion doing it on purpose.  usually guys like that have road rage issues and speed and tailgate you afterwords in my experience.. it's like they don't like being passed it's a insult or something  :stick:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »
you don't have to be like a trailer close even 1-2 car lengths behind a big rig is all you need mainly cuts the wind for ya.

not to mention I hate the drivers that your coming up on to pass and they slam the breaks on you it's more dangerous then tailgating my my opinion doing it on purpose.  usually guys like that have road rage issues and speed and tailgate you afterwords in my experience.. it's like they don't like being passed it's a insult or something  :stick:

x2
well put.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

RT

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
x2
well put.

x3 their just mad they got passed by a 4popper jeep  :weee:

Offline frhrwa

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
back when people were taught how to drive, the RULE was 1 car length per 10 mph...  now running behind a semi, at probably 65 mph or more equates out to a minimum of 6 1/2 car lengths to be SAFE!...  seems each day that passes, drivers get worse!  has NOTHING to do with road rage, has to do with I DON'T LIKE HEMORRHOIDS ON MY TAILGATE..  and, if you choose to ride it, you will suffer the consequence..  so.. go ahead and neglect your safety..  I don't suppose you TEXT also?  That PISSES me off too..  Common sense should tell you to drive courteously and live..  stupidity and no value to your life tells you to do stupid things..  you choose!..   

Torch_Ind

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
back when people were taught how to drive, the RULE was 1 car length per 10 mph...  now running behind a semi, at probably 65 mph or more equates out to a minimum of 6 1/2 car lengths to be SAFE!...  seems each day that passes, drivers get worse!  has NOTHING to do with road rage, has to do with I DON'T LIKE HEMORRHOIDS ON MY TAILGATE..  and, if you choose to ride it, you will suffer the consequence..  so.. go ahead and neglect your safety..  I don't suppose you TEXT also?  That PISSES me off too..  Common sense should tell you to drive courteously and live..  stupidity and no value to your life tells you to do stupid things..  you choose!..   

listen, you saying your slam your breaks on people because there behind you isn't save!!!  or right by any means!!

taking these matters in your own hands is the reason people die on the road.. let the authority's be the judge of that not you..

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »

why don't you try and not use CAPS, on your 3rd post you already give lectures - the discussion was not about tailgating and to be honest i don't care what you like or dislike if you talk like this, be nice at least for 10 posts, goes a long way.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
why don't you try and not use CAPS, on your 3rd post you already give lectures - the discussion was not about tailgating and to be honest i don't care what you like or dislike if you talk like this, be nice at least for 10 posts, goes a long way.

:thumb:

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
What do you mean loud? Mine's almost stock sounding and it's stainless steel dude. Just like the magnaflow. Did you get the bullet? or run a turndown cuz then it'd be crazy loud.

i had the super turbo or something like that dynomax exhaust. No turndown. In my experience it was super loud.. i switched to banks which was a good bit quieter. The worst part of the dynomax was any time i was accelerating over 2500rpms.
Maybe you have a different model then i did?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

RT

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »

i had the super turbo or something like that dynomax exhaust. No turndown. In my experience it was super loud.. i switched to banks which was a good bit quieter. The worst part of the dynomax was any time i was accelerating over 2500rpms.

Ya, that's weird dude, I've never heard of anyone thinking Dynomax is too loud, Superturbo is supposed to sound stock 0_0....I have the Ultraflow and it's straight through and even that is barely as loud as a Flow 50 delta at the loudest and near stock at the quietest. Banks sound pretty wicked too though.

RT

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Just chill dude, they effective drafting range of a semi truck is over a hundred feet, no I don't think it's a particularly safe idea to draft 30ft off someones bumper at 80mph. I don't do that. However, i hope for YOUR safety you don't slam your brakes on tailgater trying to scare them  :finger: you think a tailgate "hemorrhoid" (what does that mean?) sucks, imagine how your tailgate would feel after stuffing a 4000 pound jeep into it.

Offline frhrwa

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
Just chill dude, they effective drafting range of a semi truck is over a hundred feet, no I don't think it's a particularly safe idea to draft 30ft off someones bumper at 80mph. I don't do that. However, i hope for YOUR safety you don't slam your brakes on tailgater trying to scare them  :finger: you think a tailgate "hemorrhoid" (what does that mean?) sucks, imagine how your tailgate would feel after stuffing a 4000 pound jeep into it.

not bad since my truck is over 10,000 pounds.. but that aside, lets get to something not mentioned..  the two most dangerous places on the hiway or freeway to drive are:
1. directly along side a semi.. (you'll see people pull up like their passing, then slow down along side for a long time... bad news) if that semi blows a tire, it WILL blow that car off the road!.. those tires go like dynamite!..  
2. at the rear of that semi, when it blows a tire, have you seen the tire rubble left from a blow out?  not little pieces of tire, but huge hunks that will destroy your jeep, and most likely put you in the ditch.. whether right side up, rolling, or what have you..  its not a good idea to draft a semi..  I don't even like being 8 car lengths behind one..  those tire chunks come at you real fast..  

oh, and in one of the posts I just looked at, there was a 2.5L all built up from the looks of it.. she was asking if anyone knew anything about who's it was?  anyway, looked like a nice build for a 2.5L..  if I were keeping my little 4, I'd probably go for something like that.. I've used turbo chargers in the past on my CJ-5 w/401 AMX HiPo motor..  nice for Colorado going over those mtns to get somewhere. Always wanted to try a super charger.. maybe one of these days.. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:09:30 AM by frhrwa »

Torch_Ind

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »

I run a cherry bomb vortex muffler it's not quite strait through design it does have a deflector in it.  I like the sound of it though.. it's louder then stock but at low rpms isn't to bad.. also never been pulled over for it yet..

you can hear it on my drift vid I had I'm fairly hard in to the throttle for that run
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:53:05 AM by Torch_Ind »