Author Topic: How Difficult is it to Add Air Conditioning?  (Read 24329 times)

Offline DanMarino

Re: How Difficult is it to Add Air Conditioning?
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2012, 05:41:26 AM »
I contacted Jeepair and they suggested checking out the fan clutch.  My fan seems to spin way too easily from what I can tell.  Jeepair thought that the fan not locking at low speeds would the a likely cause, especially since I'm getting great cooling when moving.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
I contacted Jeepair and they suggested checking out the fan clutch.  My fan seems to spin way too easily from what I can tell.  Jeepair thought that the fan not locking at low speeds would the a likely cause, especially since I'm getting great cooling when moving.

That's what I was thinking as well.  The fan shouldn't rotate more then 1/4 turn with a good push.  The clutch is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:42:40 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline DanMarino

« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »
Ordered a new fan clutch from Advance Autoparts for something like $35.  I'll pick it up today and report back about if it makes a difference.

Offline DanMarino

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Installed the new fan clutch.  The new one certainly spins less freely.  I'll run it for a week or so until I experience some hot weather in stop and go traffic.

Offline DanMarino

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
98 degrees in Washington, DC today.  On the way home from work the AC compressor did not short cycle.  Everything nice and cool inside the jeep.  The system seems to be working great.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
Here's a trick for getting that #10 hose with the grommet into the place without a huge hassle.  Push the grommet to the  end of the hose and over the crimped end but not over the nut.  This allows you to squish the grommet into place.  Then lube up the hose with some windex or whatever and push it through.  Saves a lot of time fumbling, trying to squish the grommet though with the hose going though it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
98 degrees in Washington, DC today.  On the way home from work the AC compressor did not short cycle.  Everything nice and cool inside the jeep.  The system seems to be working great.

That's good news.
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

SDWE61988

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »

Are you still satisfied with the system?  I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger and picking up one of these systems

SDWE61988

Re: Interstate Travel
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
I drove on Interstate 70 from Baltimore, past Frederick, MD and back in the Jeep. Air temperature was in the mid-80's, so I had the AC running. The Jeep performed pretty much just as it always does on the interstate. I stayed in the right hand lane and ran the 65 mph speed limit with no troubles. The Jeep did not like going up the mountain just west of Frederick with the AC on, and it hated going up that hill prior to the AC installation. I did notice that the high pressure AC hose that went into the evaporator/fan box from the fire wall had a lot of condensation on it. So yesterday evening I wrapped some pipe insulation on it. I'm 100% satisfied with this project.

Best wishes to all who followed my work.

I don't think any 4 banger jeep likes going up those hills, not at interstate speeds anyway.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:29:01 PM by SDWE61988 »