Author Topic: exhaust sound  (Read 4312 times)

Torch_Ind

exhaust sound
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9yI8MUxFFaM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9yI8MUxFFaM</a>

64mm t/b intake matched and gasket matched to head
pacetter header
2 1/4 inch exhaust
cherry bomb vortex muffer

drunkencityworker

Re: exhaust sound
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
rowdy

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »

JFortner5

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
 I have to admit that I watched it on my phone, but I will check it out on the computer later. I like how 2.5's sound so I voted great. It hard to judge how loud it is from a video though.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I have to admit that I watched it on my phone, but I will check it out on the computer later. I like how 2.5's sound so I voted great. It hard to judge how loud it is from a video though.

ya the camera wasn't the best for sound but I haven't found any better yet..

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
I've got a pacesetter header/down pipe, carsound cat and borla catback.  My throttlebody is 62mm and I haven't gotten around to matching the intake manifold yet.  But I'm hearing the headers in yours just like in mine and that sounds good.  The Borla catback on mine might change the tone or noise-dampening a little bit.   The exhaust sound on yours sounds a little "sharper" -- about the only word I can think of this early. 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline jagular7

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:58 PM »
First sounded like a bike, then a ricer. I wouldn't like it for my Jeep. You really don't need the rappling of the exhaust as it will drown you to sleep at constant rpms. The engine needs to turn 3k to mainting proper torque and power.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Sounds like a tractor at Idle.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
First sounded like a bike, then a ricer. I wouldn't like it for my Jeep. You really don't need the rappling of the exhaust as it will drown you to sleep at constant rpms. The engine needs to turn 3k to mainting proper torque and power.
I agree.  I hated the drone at 3000 RPM when crawling up the grapevine.  I'm glad the engine and more importantly the exhaust note changed when I swapped out the ignition.  It's much smoother and quieter.

Sounds like you're blipping the throttle when you're downshifting.  Never could get the hang of that in the Jeep.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
Sounds like you're blipping the throttle when you're downshifting.  Never could get the hang of that in the Jeep.

I'm not using the clutch I'm power-shifting down gears

as for the sound I really like the sound especially at the 3000 rpm range.  I don't feel it sounds ricer like at all, I have had ricers cars with exhaust they don't have the same tone at all!! they are way more high pitched! plus I didn't even go over 4-4500rpm giving the red is roughly 5000rpm were ricers role up to 7-10 000rpm
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:29:19 AM by Torch_Ind »

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
I agree.  I hated the drone at 3000 RPM when crawling up the grapevine.  I'm glad the engine and more importantly the exhaust note changed when I swapped out the ignition.  It's much smoother and quieter.

Sounds like you're blipping the throttle when you're downshifting.  Never could get the hang of that in the Jeep.

Once you get the feel for it, it's second nature and you'll practically never over/under rev when downshifting.  Of course, these days I know there's Nissans out there that rev-match for you when you down shift one of their manual trannies.
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Torch_Ind

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
Once you get the feel for it, it's second nature and you'll practically never over/under rev when downshifting.  Of course, these days I know there's Nissans out there that rev-match for you when you down shift one of their manual trannies.

I hate these new cars that drive for you lol park for you lol Learn how to drive people!!! LMAO
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:05:13 AM by Torch_Ind »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »
Once you get the feel for it, it's second nature and you'll practically never over/under rev when downshifting.  Of course, these days I know there's Nissans out there that rev-match for you when you down shift one of their manual trannies.
I don't have any problems downshifting without it but it is the best way to downshift without beating the transmission up.  I jsut haven't seen many Jeeper's use it. (this is why people have problems with 5th going out.)  I just don't like being on top of the pedals.  Can't really do the side blip by rolling the foot with the height difference.  Gotta do the cross technique which I don't really like.

The reason why many new cars do this is that they use a double clutch gear box that's computer controlled.  There is no manual clutch.  The Nissan 370 7-speed auto does this.  The AMG's also do this.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
When I blip to downshift while braking I put my right foot toes on the brake pedal and my heal on the gas pedal. Apply the brake and when needed give your heel a push to blip the throttle. Getting the timing right takes practice. Sometimes I'm waay off.  :lol:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Torch_Ind

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
I don't have any problems downshifting without it but it is the best way to downshift without beating the transmission up.  I jsut haven't seen many Jeeper's use it. (this is why people have problems with 5th going out.)  I just don't like being on top of the pedals.  Can't really do the side blip by rolling the foot with the height difference.  Gotta do the cross technique which I don't really like.

what are you talking about?? you don't need to use the  brake at all it's all in the fuel.
If you need the brake your not doing it right!!!  only way you need the brake is if they stop quicker then expected and you actually have to use the brakes because engine braking isn't enough

The reason why many new cars do this is that they use a double clutch gear box that's computer controlled.  There is no manual clutch.  The Nissan 370 7-speed auto does this.  The AMG's also do this.

"auto gay" learn to drive!! lol