Author Topic: how come my 95 jeep is bogging down?  (Read 8359 times)

Dylan

Re: how come my 95 jeep is bogging down?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
Take your Jeep out on the road and run it where it bogs down for a minute or so, then shut the ignition off and coast to a stop, let it cool down a bit and pull your sparkplugs... let us know how they look.  Also, how is your gas milage and how did your old plugs look when you pulled them?

95yjzilla

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
its bogging down when i accelerate more to shift like its not gettin enough fuel or the fuel injecters are dirty. the old plugs needed to be changed. they had 173,000 miles on them. for gas mileage i dont know wat im getting per mile. i have 4:10 gears with 35 x 14.50 tires. its a 15 gallon tank. im changing the fuel pump in it tonite but not droppin the tank. im goin to cut a square in the floor over the fuel pump and change the fuel pump tht way instead. i just need to know if theres any wires that are in that general area b4 cutting away.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
its bogging down when i accelerate more to shift like its not gettin enough fuel or the fuel injecters are dirty. the old plugs needed to be changed. they had 173,000 miles on them. for gas mileage i dont know wat im getting per mile. i have 4:10 gears with 35 x 14.50 tires. its a 15 gallon tank. im changing the fuel pump in it tonite but not droppin the tank. im goin to cut a square in the floor over the fuel pump and change the fuel pump tht way instead. i just need to know if theres any wires that are in that general area b4 cutting away.

it's lot easier to drop the tank, you will have to seal that hole well or you'll have fumes in you car from the exhaust, not to metion cutting the tub.

there are wires that go to the fuel pump and fuel level sender. There are also hoses and fuel lines and also the tank is pretty close to the tub so you need to be careful.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

95yjzilla

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
i do understand that there are wires and lines that go to the fuel tank itself. im lookin to see where they are on google b4 i do cut into the tub.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/93-yj-fuel-pump-replacement-via-floor-access-panel-1195157/

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
I'd just drop the tank as well.  It's not that hard and comes out easily if you have a floor jack.  It's really easy if you don't have a full tank.  I dropped my tank when I swapped the skid plate.

I think jfrabat had some pics of the top of his tank when he dropped it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Dylan

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
Is the bogging down a recent developement?  Did you do or change anything at the time you started having the problem?  Have you tried using a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump is providing proper pressure?  Have you also checked the fuel pump for proper volume output?  Have you checked that your O2 sensor is working properly?  Is your distributor worn?

Performing the test I described earlier about running the engine in the range that it's having problems, shutting it down abruptly then reading the plugs helps troubleshoot if you're having a fuel delivery problem or not... using test equipment and gauges help troubleshoot problems too... or you can just keep throwing parts at you Jeep, in hopes that something will fix it.

95yjzilla

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
my jeep started bogging down when i got gas bout 3 weeks ago. it was running fine till i got gas from cumbys. ever since then its been running like somebody put a limiter on my jeep so i cant go fast at all. when im driving my jeep and give it more throttle it spits and spudders but feels like it wants to get up and go. my jeep did need a tune up by changin the plugs, wires, distribitor cap, ignition coil, throttle position sensor, map sensor, and fuel filter. it still feels like there is a limitor on my jeep like theres not enough fuel to where it needs to go. it has to be the fuel pump itself or fuel injecters are dirty and clogged up.

Little Red YJ

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
Try running some Seafoam through it. But if you have to change the fuel pump. I also agree with just dropping the tank. It really is no big deal as long as you get the gas out first.

Dylan

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 10:27:17 PM »
You've now answered your own question about why your Jeep is bogging down, you got bad gas.  Replacing a bunch of parts doesn't fix the fact you have bad gas.  My advice would be to drain that stuff out into a gas can, use it for your lawnmower or something else that doesn't care about fuel quality, dump a bottle of fuel drier in your tank to take care of any residual water (HEET or some similar product), and fill up with some good quality gas.  Change your fuel filter again after you run the good tank of gas through.

Little Red YJ

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
A fast and eay way to check the converter is to just loosen the two bolts connecting the exahast pipe to the manifold and letting the exahast excape there. Take it for a drive and see what happens. If no difference just tighten the bolts back up and look elsewhere. But it sure sounds like a bad converter.

knotts89

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »
My jeep usually fires right up and one time i got bad gas and had to pump the pedal just so it would start. Then it started bogging like u describe  and a can of sea foam later it was running just fine so i would try that before taking that fuel pump out. Good luck

95yjzilla

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »
omg im bout to just sell my jeep right bout now....ahhhhh!! sill have to baby the pedal while drivin it. went to fill the gas tank and put injecter cleaner and drop it round for a lil bit and now its running even worse than it was. i cant even get my battery to charge because i cant get over 2000 rpm's the to charge it by the alternator. my last solution is to take it to a shop and have them deal with it because i dont even wanna get even more fustrated with it.

knotts89

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 11:51:42 PM »
Sorry about your luck man keep us posted.

95yjzilla

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »
i think ive figured out wats wrong with my jeep. its either fuel, timing, or exhaust. will keep u guys posted

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »
Its the Cat just like I've said.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's