Author Topic: Exhaust Sytem (TYPE  (Read 1960 times)

RT

Exhaust Sytem (TYPE
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
Also how hard is it to bend 2.5" pipe for a jeep TJ, the guys down at my local exhaust shop were complaining about it and I wanted to know if their complaints were warranted because I know a TON of people are running 2.5".

Torch_Ind

Re: Exhaust Sytem (TYPE
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »
I have the cherry vortex but it's not oval glasspack  it's square with some baffles in it.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Cat gone and think its a flowmaster.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »
Also how hard is it to bend 2.5" pipe for a jeep TJ, the guys down at my local exhaust shop were complaining about it and I wanted to know if their complaints were warranted because I know a TON of people are running 2.5".
if you have mandrel bender (or whatever is called) shouldn't be that hard, otherwise you can forget about it. Most of the time you make a custom exhaust out of pre-bent pipes, cut and weld and such.

but based on the answers above i'm  unsure that i understood your question correctly though.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

RT

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:27 AM »
if you have mandrel bender (or whatever is called) shouldn't be that hard, otherwise you can forget about it. Most of the time you make a custom exhaust out of pre-bent pipes, cut and weld and such.

but based on the answers above i'm  unsure that i understood your question correctly though.

I think it's non-mandrel, why's it more difficult to fit non-mandrel bent pipe? They were pissed because they said that it was going to be "really hard" to get the pipe to fit.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:05 AM »
I think it's non-mandrel, why's it more difficult to fit non-mandrel bent pipe? They were pissed because they said that it was going to be "really hard" to get the pipe to fit.

i don't know - they probably had to deal with that before, maybe the bend that goes above the rear axle would be tighter given the 1/4'' difference and the fact that is almost a 180 bend.

if it's non mandrel you basically kink it multiple times to get the bend in it, maybe that is harder to get in that spot
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
They just don't want to do it.  Find another shop.  Although I highly suggest getting it done with mandrel bends.  It would be a waste to go through the trouble to get 2.5" OD and get it bent with all those restrictions.

If you uses 2.25" OD you can keep the bends pretty straight and then use a mandrel so there are no restrictions.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

RT

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »
They use the non-crimped bends, don't know if it's "mandrel", the guy was chill he just said he'd have to two piece it and that it wouldn't look as "good". He said if I was fine with that that it'd be $80  :hump:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »
They use the non-crimped bends, don't know if it's "mandrel", the guy was chill he just said he'd have to two piece it and that it wouldn't look as "good". He said if I was fine with that that it'd be $80  :hump:

if there are no kinks on the inside then it's mandrel bend piping. I assume they need 2 pieces as it's a tight bend and can't make the radius over the axle. $80 it's a good price.