Author Topic: Gonna buy a winch  (Read 5553 times)

4BangerTJ

Gonna buy a winch
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:06:05 AM »
Ok so I'm gonna buy a winch today. I would like a few opinions. I only have 300 to 400 to spend so I'm looking at the RC 9500 smittybuilt8000 or milemarker8000 unless you guysknow of some deals in my price range. Also I know this is prolly a question askeda million times but cable or rope? I hear a lot of pros and cons of both and just can't make up my mind. Please help.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Gonna buy a winch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
I'd get a Warn VR 8000.  http://www.warn.com/corporate/pr_new_lineup_of_winches_starting_at_399.shtml

I'd probably buy it from here since there is free shipping.  http://www.amazon.com/WARN-86245-VR8000-000-Winch/dp/B004UJ3IAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1305393684&sr=8-1

If you're using your winch infrequently like most people then just get a cable.  Oh and get a cheap cover for your winch while you're at it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
I'd get a Warn VR 8000

+1

the mile marker ones I have a few guys who swear by them as well. but you can't go wrong with warn!!

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
I just bought a warn VR 10,000. Warn is running an $80 rebate. The VR line is very affordable. I also considered the Rough Country winches as well and spent a HUGE time researching. THey are rebadged Milemarkers. Milemarker is a pretty good company. I didnt find any negative comments about the RC winches. Except a lot of times the "Warn Winch Crowd" would get together and bash them and any other type of winch, but no real negative issues with them. Also, i heavily considered smittybuilt winches as well. I know of two ppl running them and not having any problems. Also read an article from JP mag about a budget winch throwdown and the smitty did pretty well.
here is that article:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/trail/154_0907_affordable_winch_buyers_guide/index.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:07:16 PM by stan98tj »
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
I just bought a warn VR 10,000. Warn is running an $80 rebate. The VR line is very affordable. I also considered the Rough Country winches as well and spent a HUGE time researching. THey are rebadged Milemarkers. Milemarker is a pretty good company. I didnt find any negative comments about the RC winches. Except a lot of times the "Warn Winch Crowd" would get together and bash them and any other type of winch, but no real negative issues with them. Also, i heavily considered smittybuilt winches as well. I know of two ppl running them and not having any problems. Also read an article from JP mag about a budget winch throwdown and the smitty did pretty well.
here is that article:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/trail/154_0907_affordable_winch_buyers_guide/index.html
Not sure where you're getting your info from about the Rough Country Winch or Mile Marker (electric).  Both are imported from China.  Same goes for Bulldog, T-Rex, Chicago Freight, Engo, Kodak, Summit Racing, etc...

Four Wheeler Magazine has a shootout on Multi-Winching shootout for July 2011.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:18:55 PM by Jeffy »
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »
Not sure where you're getting your info from about the Rough Country Winch or Mile Marker (electric).  Both are imported from China.  Same goes for Bulldog, T-Rex, Chicago Freight, Engo, Kodak, Summit Racing, etc...

were you not the one that told me "good luck" on getting stuff made USA or Canadian?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »

also Smittybuilt X2O line looks identical to the Harborfreight ones i posted in the other thread (specs are also the same and they have no decals), so i would think it's safe to assume that those are Chinese made as well. they do have limited lifetime warranty but not sure what that covers.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »

from speaking with Rough Country....the winches are basically rebadged milemarkers with a few changes.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
were you not the one that told me "good luck" on getting stuff made USA or Canadian?
That's out of context.  Even Warn doesn't make everything in the US.  Parts are sourced worldwide BUT I know for a fact that Ward does assemble their winches in the US.  Some parts are in fact made in house though.  I believe Ramsey is similar to Warn in this respect.  There is a big difference between Assembled in the US and Assembled in China.

from speaking with Rough Country....the winches are basically rebadged milemarkers with a few changes.
Like I mentioned in the FAQ, there are companies in China who make complete winches.  If a company in the US wants sell one as theirs all they have to do is choose it from their catalog and then it gets labeled and packaged as their winch.  This is different then a US company going to a mfg. in China and having them make something to their specs.  All of those no name winches are just products with their name slapped onto them.

Mile Marker's electric winches are well known to be imported from China.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »
Like I mentioned in the FAQ, there are companies in China who make complete winches.  If a company in the US wants sell one as theirs all they have to do is choose it from their catalog and then it gets labeled and packaged as their winch.  This is different then a US company going to a mfg. in China and having them make something to their specs.  All of those no name winches are just products with their name slapped onto them.

Im well aware they are made in china. I was simply stating they are made from the same factory/ppl who make the milemarker ones, except a few things are changed to comply with the specs rough country chose. this is as per the rough country tech i spoke with a few weeks ago. Just because it is made in China, does not mean it's crap. Superwinch is made in China (i believe) smitty and milemarker both have decent models, and given the RC is basically a milemarker, i would go so far as to say it would also be a decent winch. in all the research i did, i didnt find any compaints about the RC winches.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Im well aware they are made in china. I was simply stating they are made from the same factory/ppl who make the milemarker ones, except a few things are changed to comply with the specs rough country chose. this is as per the rough country tech i spoke with a few weeks ago. Just because it is made in China, does not mean it's crap. Superwinch is made in China (i believe) smitty and milemarker both have decent models, and given the RC is basically a milemarker, i would go so far as to say it would also be a decent winch. in all the research i did, i didnt find any compaints about the RC winches.
The point I was trying to make was that Mile Marker doesn't make their electric winch so Rough Country could not possibly get them from Mile Marker.

With a lot of the import winches you have to watch out for quality.  Some use undersized wires or other components.  Some parts are only available from the MFG which makes getting replacements parts a long drawn out process.  The real uncertainty with these winches is because they haven't been around long.  1 or 2 years isn't really that long when you consider the old Ramsey REP8000, Warn M8274, M8000 or even the XD's have been around for decades and turn up in the used market.  I suspect the used imports won't be worth much in the used market.  With the low price of a winch these day's, it means there's no reason anyone should be without one.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:22:18 AM »
That's out of context.  Even Warn doesn't make everything in the US.  Parts are sourced worldwide BUT I know for a fact that Ward does assemble their winches in the US.  Some parts are in fact made in house though.  I believe Ramsey is similar to Warn in this respect.  There is a big difference between Assembled in the US and Assembled in China.

I repair vehicles everyday as full time job and the cheep china/Korean crap parts doesn't change a thing if I assemble it here it's still the same parts!!

it's not much out of context.

I sure don't hold my end of the labor warranty if the part fails over and over and over due to cheep parts

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
Bottom line is, that if you buy a winch to get out of a tough spot and you rely on it to do so, then buying a cheap piece of junk is not such a good idea. If it's just a bumper ornament then it doesn't matter.
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Torch_Ind

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Bottom line is, that if you buy a winch to get out of a tough spot and you rely on it to do so, then buying a cheap piece of junk is not such a good idea. If it's just a bumper ornament then it doesn't matter.

:thumb:

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
I don't care where it is made. reviews, reputation, reliability...that's what makes the difference between a good product and a poor product. Milemarker gets their winches made in China and they have a pretty good reputation. According to RC, their winches are made by the same manufacturer. I've yet to find a bad review on it. Smittybuilt is almost a standard among the "cant afford a warn" crowd. The JP link i shared earlier has a great review on affordable winches. Smitty does pretty well. ive also had personal experiences with them.  As for me, i went with the VR 10000 from Warn. You could prob get a VR 9000 for around the price range you are looking for given the $80 rebate Warn is offering. After all the research i did when i was looking for a winch ( i even posted a similar thread a few weeks ago ) I decided, if I can afford a Warn, i may as well get one, if not, there ARE other brands that will deliver reliable service within their design specs. That said, don't expect to be doing competition style winching with a Smitty, RC, milemarker etc bec that is not what they are designed to do...But if your wheeling does not involve day long winch pulls up rock faces and timed pulls...then the above will do just fine pulling you and your buddies out when you need it.

BY the way, i got my Warn on yesterday...some hardware was missing, had to improvise. other than that, im satisfied. Of course, i haven't actually gotten stuck yet.