Author Topic: Looking for a throttle body spacer  (Read 1822 times)

Quite Happy

Looking for a throttle body spacer
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
OK, most of what I've been reading tells me my next performance mod needs to be a throttle body spacer.  Trouble is, my 1985 CJ7 has a carburetor, not tbi.  I've searched all over looking for somebody, anybody, that makes a spacer for a single barrel carb.  It only has 2 bolts.  I tried Power Aid, but no dice, chico.  I suppose if I have to, I'll find a machine shop to make me one out of aluminum, but I don't want to have to refinance my house to add a few more horsepower to my ride. 

Any ideas, folks?  Where can I find a spacer for my old timer?  Going fuel injection would be nice, but requires lots of money that my dearly beloved is loathe to allow me to spend.

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
Re: Looking for a throttle body spacer
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »
Don't know of a spacer for your rig.  Many of the CJ owners convert to a Weber 2 barrel, but I can't find one for an '85.  These are generally less than $300.  You might find a used one for way less.

Another thing to consider is propane injection.  It costs a little more ($850), but it does well on steep terrain and you can hook a grill up to your tank!  The propane kit allows you to switch back and forth gas/propane.

http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html

Another option is to find a wrecked 4 cyl Cherokee or Wrangler with MPFI (91 and up) and strip the whole system off for a transplant.  This is usually cheaper than the Howell system.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

RT

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
OK, most of what I've been reading tells me my next performance mod needs to be a throttle body spacer.  Trouble is, my 1985 CJ7 has a carburetor, not tbi.  I've searched all over looking for somebody, anybody, that makes a spacer for a single barrel carb.  It only has 2 bolts.  I tried Power Aid, but no dice, chico.  I suppose if I have to, I'll find a machine shop to make me one out of aluminum, but I don't want to have to refinance my house to add a few more horsepower to my ride. 

Any ideas, folks?  Where can I find a spacer for my old timer?  Going fuel injection would be nice, but requires lots of money that my dearly beloved is loathe to allow me to spend.

You could make one yourself out of heat resistant plastic/composite from home depot or I even heard of people making carb-raisers out of wood. But having a shop professionally do it would probably be your best cheapest bet.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »
Actually think a carb change would be the way to go.

www.racetep.com/weber/INS-WK550-34.pdf
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
I think the best bang for the buck without spending too much might be a Weber Carb kit.

A MPFI conversion would give him the most HP (+20) and TQ increase but it's not going to be cheap, even if you're salvaging parts.  All the little things will add up fast.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:54:11 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
Have not used the Jeep Kit but did put thisa kit on my MGB and was very happy with it.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/carburetor-conversion-kit/p2020672.jcwx?filterid=c2039d1168y1985j1

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
I think the best bang for the buck without spending too much might be a Weber Carb kit.

A MPFI conversion would give him the most HP (+20) and TQ increase but it's not going to be cheap, even if you're salvaging parts.  All the little things will add up fast.

there could be piston, cyl head and cam differences as well, not sure though but i recall seeing a split in p/n by years and the carbed ones were different.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Quite Happy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
Thanks for all the input, folks.  Since I just got back from Tucson, and it's Memorial Day, I'll have to make some phone calls in the next couple of days to see if the Weber is California emissions legal.  Otherwise I may be hitting some junkyards and accumulating what I need for MPFI.  In the meantime, I'm going to see what I can do about making my own spacer.  What do I have to lose?  If it doesn't work, I can always pull it off.  Always start with the cheapest and easiest method, right?  I like the propane idea, but that may be for down the road.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input, folks.  Since I just got back from Tucson, and it's Memorial Day, I'll have to make some phone calls in the next couple of days to see if the Weber is California emissions legal.  Otherwise I may be hitting some junkyards and accumulating what I need for MPFI.  In the meantime, I'm going to see what I can do about making my own spacer.  What do I have to lose?  If it doesn't work, I can always pull it off.  Always start with the cheapest and easiest method, right?  I like the propane idea, but that may be for down the road.
Oh CA emissions, huh?  That's gonna be a no-go.  Not because it won't pass emissions but because Weber doesn't bother to pay for a CARB license.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
Less than a week after I moved out of Calif is when I put the Weber kit on my MGB.  Love not having to smog anything.

Quite Happy

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
Politics.  What would we do without it?   :brick:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
It has more to do with money then politics.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »

:thumb: