Author Topic: Abusing Squirrels  (Read 9698 times)

jramey

Re: Abusing Squirrels
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »
I am happy with my 2.5 on the trails.  The squirrels just aren't gonna break axles and driveshafts, etc.  I have put a header and muffler on it, and use quality plugs, filters, etc.  Runs great and is reliable.   It is what it is on the highway, and I still love it...   :beers:
Im with ya, i for some reason have a passion for this lil 4banger and cant part ways with it, i can still run 75 down the hwy fine in mine

95yjman

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
Im with ya, i for some reason have a passion for this lil 4banger and cant part ways with it, i can still run 75 down the hwy fine in mine

I hear ya guys heh

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:51 AM »
Just got 18.75 mpg on a 200 mile drive home from a local offroad park.  This is with 36" TSL's :weee:

Of course I did drive a steady 60mph with lots of drafting :whistle:

b.hog

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:09 PM »
Just got 18.75 mpg on a 200 mile drive home from a local offroad park.  This is with 36" TSL's :weee:

Of course I did drive a steady 60mph with lots of drafting :whistle:
I think its our wonderful So Il air cause thats about what i average,but im on 31 tsls      lol

Offline MarkyB

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »
I read that article and was on here researching the adjustable MAP.
I might do the DIY one, but ain't gonna buy one.
Interesting that their info is wrong on the rockers, I have found erroneous info in their articles before.
So, are you guys saying I could replace the rockers with new oem ones and see an improvement?

2001 TJ with 97500 miles.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
So, are you guys saying I could replace the rockers with new oem ones and see an improvement?

i don't know for sure, i'm just assuming the ones i measured travel for were coming at 1.52 due to age, but i doubt new ones will be at 1.6, if you want that ratio better go with roller rockers.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline MarkyB

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »
I was looking at the injector swap thread, the chart lists part numbers for the Ford injectors, but they don't work anywhere I've tried to look.

Anybody swapped injectors on a TJ?

Jesse-James

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
For a long time I was happy with the little 2.5L, but eventually with bigger tires and bigger obstacles it got cumbersome. Especially bad on greasy midwest hillclimbs. I had regeared, throttle body swap, injectors, elec. fan, etc. In the end it was either $$$ on a motor swap, supercharger, or a different Jeep. I went with a different Jeep. After wheeling with 4.0L+ power I'll never go back.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
For a long time I was happy with the little 2.5L, but eventually with bigger tires and bigger obstacles it got cumbersome. Especially bad on greasy midwest hillclimbs. I had regeared, throttle body swap, injectors, elec. fan, etc. In the end it was either $$$ on a motor swap, supercharger, or a different Jeep. I went with a different Jeep. After wheeling with 4.0L+ power I'll never go back.

I test drove a 03 rubicon today... the yj may be leaving the family soon  :wall: :'(
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »
I test drove a 03 rubicon today... the yj may be leaving the family soon  :wall: :'(
If I had a relatively stock YJ, I'd probably trade it for a Rubicon.  The only problem with the 4.0L is the multi-pak ignition issues.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

95yjman

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 12:41:56 AM »
If I had a relatively stock YJ, I'd probably trade it for a Rubicon.  The only problem with the 4.0L is the multi-pak ignition issues.

I don't know is the rubi 44 just a beefed up 35 in the rear? and the front, doesn't it use D30 stuff?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »
I don't know is the rubi 44 just a beefed up 35 in the rear? and the front, doesn't it use D30 stuff?
center is D44, tubes are D35, disk brakes, 30 spline axle shafts

same for front.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
The rear is a D44 with D35 axle tubes and bearings.  The axles are 30 spline 1.30" and are the exact same shafts in the XJ D44.  The front is a D44 with D30 inner knuckles (some people call them C's) and outers.

It's still an upgrade.  Truss the rear axle and it will be fine.  The Rubicon's did have issues with the front axle U-joints failing though.  I forget if there was a recall on it or not.  I know Chrysler tried to ignore the issue and for a time wouldn't do warranty work on them.  The differentials are for higher ratios so the gears it uses are 'Thick'.  This somewhat limits your choices on gears unless you either swap out the lockers or add a shim.  Although I think you can get thick gears in 5.13's now.  Not sure about 5.38's.  Still not too many companies make gears for them.

If you're attached to your YJ then consider putting a 2-speed Atlas in it and swapping axles.  Or at least swapping in a D44 or 8.8" in the rear.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
The rear is a D44 with D35 axle tubes and bearings.  The axles are 30 spline 1.30" and are the exact same shafts in the XJ D44.  The front is a D44 with D30 inner knuckles (some people call them C's) and outers.

It's still an upgrade.  Truss the rear axle and it will be fine.  The Rubicon's did have issues with the front axle U-joints failing though.  I forget if there was a recall on it or not.  I know Chrysler tried to ignore the issue and for a time wouldn't do warranty work on them.  The differentials are for higher ratios so the gears it uses are 'Thick'.  This somewhat limits your choices on gears unless you either swap out the lockers or add a shim.  Although I think you can get thick gears in 5.13's now.  Not sure about 5.38's.  Still not too many companies make gears for them.

If you're attached to your YJ then consider putting a 2-speed Atlas in it and swapping axles.  Or at least swapping in a D44 or 8.8" in the rear.

thats what puts in at a cross roads, I have a friend that has givin up on his scout project wants to practically give it to me which would be a source of d44s and a t18 trans (trans would go in a willys I think a 5 speed is better for the 2.5 with road use). but then its re gear lockers....  and the rust.. but the 2.5l has never let me down and surprised me... a 4:1 atlas would be nice. but then that gets low for the mud but rubi would be in same position. My indecisiveness is killing me right now. I know I have 1 more mod to do to the yj before it goes anywhere though  :pot:....
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
thats what puts in at a cross roads, I have a friend that has givin up on his scout project wants to practically give it to me which would be a source of d44s and a t18 trans (trans would go in a willys I think a 5 speed is better for the 2.5 with road use). but then its re gear lockers....  and the rust.. but the 2.5l has never let me down and surprised me... a 4:1 atlas would be nice. but then that gets low for the mud but rubi would be in same position. My indecisiveness is killing me right now. I know I have 1 more mod to do to the yj before it goes anywhere though  :pot:....

That's what makes the Atlas 4 speed or a Klune so important to the 2.5 (small motor) crowd. Plenty of gear choices for whatever terrain you encounter.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod: