Author Topic: Welding on axle shaft end  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Eucalypta

• Eucalypta Oud-Hollands Snoepgoed
Welding on axle shaft end
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »
Does any one here have experience with welding on the end of a axle shaft?
The left rear axle shaft of a buddy of mine, is worn thus the shaft can move to much in and out. Sometimes they even hit the brake drums.
Instead of replacing the shaft, we heard it is also possible to weld material back on it so the clearance is reduced.
The part that is welded on does not transfer any force so it would not shear.

If we are correct, the material of a stock shaft is C40, 52RC so we can use the right electrode.

Any thoughts?
To Boldly go where no one has gone before - James T Kirk
1994 YJ 2.5L - 1996 ZJ 5.2 V8

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Welding on axle shaft end
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:10:47 AM »
Does any one here have experience with welding on the end of a axle shaft?
The left rear axle shaft of a buddy of mine, is worn thus the shaft can move to much in and out. Sometimes they even hit the brake drums.
Instead of replacing the shaft, we heard it is also possible to weld material back on it so the clearance is reduced.
The part that is welded on does not transfer any force so it would not shear.

If we are correct, the material of a stock shaft is C40, 52RC so we can use the right electrode.

Any thoughts?

you mean at the c-clip? if yes i would think the better and easier way would be to make an oversized c-clip and machine to the end of the shaft to rectify the wear (just slightly so it's even). if you mean the end of the shaft where it sits on the spide gears shaft then i don't see an issue with adding a weld there and grind it flat, it might become brittle though so long term i'm not sure.

For the cost of a stock second hand shaft i would just buy a good replacement to be honest, but i know where you're at the Jeeps are scarse so maybe that's the reason you think of this route.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:56 AM »
Why not make a cap on a lathe to slip over the end of the shaft to take up the slack
That would be fairly easy to make. It;s not the C clip that takes up the end play but the tip of the axle shaft hitting the crosshaft
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:59:13 AM »
Why not make a cap on a lathe to slip over the end of the shaft to take up the slack
That would be fairly easy to make. It;s not the C clip that takes up the end play but the tip of the axle shaft hitting the crosshaft

Right we would add some material to the tip of the shaft (only on a jeep forum you can say something like that).
What do you mean make a cap? The cap would have to be a snug fit and should not move?
That would be very precise machining....?

Adding material and grinding carefully until the shaft fits is more easy. Besides...Iwas thinking, we only add material that has been worn off the tip, so we are not really altering the shaft.

My fear is that the tip would be brittle and pieces may come of and get caught in the gear....

Yes Shaft: we have to fly the shafts in from USA and pay duties over them...this makes it more expensive.
Just playing with the thought....

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »
The cap could also be the c-clip, then it would be held in place just as well as the normal c-clip.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
I have a set of D35C shafts. You can have them if you want them. Just pay for shipping. Or just the shaft you need to save some weight.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
I have a set of D35C shafts. You can have them if you want them. Just pay for shipping. Or just the shaft you need to save some weight.
Thanx, I am interested...These shafts are without the wear I assume?
Can you please mail me? I seem not to be able to pm you.
John@eucalypta.nl

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
Thanx, I am interested...These shafts are without the wear I assume?
Can you please mail me? I seem not to be able to pm you.
John@eucalypta.nl

I can post some pics if you want. These shafts came to me from a club member. I have no idea what condition they are in. They have a bit of surface rust near where the bearings would go and on the back of the flange. The spines are straight and the ends don't look like they are worn. I have no C clips, you would need to reuse the old ones.

Weird on the PM thing. Others have sent me PM's.

Anyway let me know if you want to see some PICS then you can determine if you want them.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
Or buy so,e chromemoly shafts and call it good. Think of the cap like a small hat, if a friend has a lathe it's not hard to make
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »
Or buy so,e chromemoly shafts and call it good. Think of the cap like a small hat, if a friend has a lathe it's not hard to make

needs to be hardened (heat treatment after machining)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
How does a shaft even wear on the end?

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
How does a shaft even wear on the end?

I would think the bearings are shot and allowing the shaft to move back and forth rubbing on the cross shaft?
Scott~

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
C clip axle, every time you make a turn it spins on the cross shaft or any to,e there is wheel spin
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
I would think the bearings are shot and allowing the shaft to move back and forth rubbing on the cross shaft?

which bearings, the carrier ones? wouldn't really matter as it would move together with the shaft. The hub bearings (at the axle end) wouldn't keep the shafts from moving in and out (like the ones in the front do), it's the c-clip and the spider gears shaft that keep the axles in place.

yeah, bounty has a point - it's hard to imagine how you wear a shaft there, maybe one side a 35'' tire and the other one a 28'', would make the spider gears constantly spin  ???

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »
And why the assumption they're c-clip shafts?