Author Topic: 200 degree differential seem to hot?  (Read 2737 times)

huntingbuck101

Re: 200 degree differential seem to hot?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
after my first run when I noticed it felt hot I put about 5 ounces of Prolong in it. I hope this will not effect the brake-in.

chrisfranklin

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 10:52:16 PM »
It sounds like you'll be alright as is.  Still, I'd personally want to go with synthetic from mile one on new gears.  Then just change it out fairly often, early-on

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 12:26:40 AM »
It sounds like you'll be alright as is.  Still, I'd personally want to go with synthetic from mile one on new gears.  Then just change it out fairly often, early-on

You do not want to go synthetic for the break-in.  First off, you want the gears to finish the peening process.  This is why gears run hot when breaking in.  You'll get small flakes of metal in the oil and it's normal.  The other issue is that you'll be changing the oil within 500 miles.  Synthetics will make the break-in take longer and you'll be wasting the oil since it gets changed soon after.  Once the break-in is done, then you can go with synthetics if you want.  If you don't finish the hardening process you'll end up with soft gears and could shear them under stress.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

chrisfranklin

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 04:20:13 AM »

You do not want to go synthetic for the break-in.  First off, you want the gears to finish the peening process.  This is why gears run hot when breaking in.  You'll get small flakes of metal in the oil and it's normal.  The other issue is that you'll be changing the oil within 500 miles.  Synthetics will make the break-in take longer and you'll be wasting the oil since it gets changed soon after.  Once the break-in is done, then you can go with synthetics if you want.  If you don't finish the hardening process you'll end up with soft gears and could shear them under stress.

Sure, what synth. oil manufacturer in their right mind would want you to ruin your gears from day 1 by introducing any kind of synthetic into the diff during break-in?    http://www.turbobits.co.uk/acatalog/redline_lsd_friction_modifier_additive.html
Diff additive or gear oil, they're still synthetic, just of apparently different composition and viscosity and partial or full-fill

If synth. manufacturers don't promote synth. gear oil from day 1, it does a couple of things potentially, financially positive for them a) doesn't make GM, Ford, Chrysler look like a$$holes for factory-filling their vehicles with regular gear oil b) gives synth manufacturers an opportunity to sell a "specialized" synthetic for the new gear installers out there.     :lol:

Yes, you want to finish peening.  You'd just want to finish peening with fewer metal wear particulates circulating, as might be created when running regular oils causing higher friction. 

Keep in mind, Jeeps don't get any lighter running synthetic -- either oil, your gears are still under load "pushing the same pig."  Run synthetics from Day 1 and minimize unnecessary gear wear.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 08:19:55 AM »
I would use regular oil for the break in period, as I am actually doing just now.  The old gears with about 85,000 miles on them looked just perfect and they were never used with synthetic oil.  Gears last a long time with either oil so there is no harm in running it with regular oil for maybe 500 to 1000 miles and then switching over to synthetic for the long run.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

huntingbuck101

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 09:01:18 PM »
I was told my 04 Silverado comes with synthetic in the diff. from the factory.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »
If the gears are quiet just run it and stop worrying, if you set everyting to spec it will work and last no need to fuzz over it
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »
If the gears are quiet just run it and stop worrying, if you set everyting to spec it will work and last no need to fuzz over it

Even if the pattern isn't perfect, too!  I have 40K on a set that that had an OK pattern but not 'prefect'.  Didn't bother checking backlash either.  Pattern looked good and went with it.  No noise, no worries.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

huntingbuck101

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 08:30:01 PM »
thats just it, I wasn't relay happy with the pattern the drive side was just OK and I relay didn't like the coast side but I ran out of shims sizes .174 on driver side and .145 on pass. side ( the biggest and smallest in the pack). I wanted to push the ring gear a little further from the pinion to get a better pattern. I also couldn't get the preload on the crush sleeve as I wanted it. but got it tight enough so it would stop as soon as you let go if you spun it by hand. I had a new Mac 800# froward 1000# reverse impact and over 140# line pressure and it took 1 1/2 to get it that far.

Like Jeffy said there is some leeway they don't have to be perfect just close. Mines not perfect but it's quiet and the temp is coming down each day I drive it so I must have done it close.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »
Once the spacer collapses it gets actually easier to collapse it further. getting the shim packs right can take patience and a lot of measuring.  I have never bothered to check temperatures on the diff after rebuilding them.
Big rig differentials often have temp gauges on them but for car to medium duty trucks temps stay below critical for the oil. Just glad you got it back together and running. Even if it eventually fails you now know what needs to be done.
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE