Author Topic: Bad cat vs gas mileage question...  (Read 1173 times)

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
Bad cat vs gas mileage question...
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
I recently had to have my Jeep smogged, and it took 3 tries for it to pass  :eek: the third time my buddy who owns the smog shop said to put some 31's on so it's run at a higher RPM during the test which was the only reason it passed (it was running high NOX numbers), and it barely passed with the 31's. He said the cat is more than likely bad, even though it's only like 2 years old...

It seems that over the past 6-8 months or more, my gas mileage has dropped at least 1.5-2 MPG. Is it possible, even though it's an OBD1 vehicle and there's no o2 sensor near the cat, could it still effect gas mileage? My rig runs great and never seems to miss a beat, but ever since my smog test I keep wondering if it could be effecting MPG's... Maybe my foot has just gotten heavier over time?  :whistle:
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Bad cat vs gas mileage question...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:52 AM »
I recently had to have my Jeep smogged, and it took 3 tries for it to pass  :eek: the third time my buddy who owns the smog shop said to put some 31's on so it's run at a higher RPM during the test which was the only reason it passed (it was running high NOX numbers), and it barely passed with the 31's. He said the cat is more than likely bad, even though it's only like 2 years old...

It seems that over the past 6-8 months or more, my gas mileage has dropped at least 1.5-2 MPG. Is it possible, even though it's an OBD1 vehicle and there's no o2 sensor near the cat, could it still effect gas mileage? My rig runs great and never seems to miss a beat, but ever since my smog test I keep wondering if it could be effecting MPG's... Maybe my foot has just gotten heavier over time?  :whistle:

it works harder to push out the exhaust gasses so yes, would affect your gas mileage - not sure by how much and if all the 2mpg is caused by it, but it will affect it and how much depends on how bad is plugged.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »
My second to last go around passing emissions, I finally passed after fixing an exhaust manifold bolt that had come loose. At least that seemed to be the problem.  http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2421.0
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:30:56 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »
Well, since you have a YJ, I highly recommend a MagaFlow cat.

The only time a cat should die prematurely is if it breaks up or if you running rich and it's getting into the cat and igniting.

The thing that sucks is that CA now requires a CA certified Cat which means you can't use any old aftermarket fat anymore.  Magaflow makes a 49 state cat for $90 and a CA cat for $199.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
Well, since you have a YJ, I highly recommend a MagaFlow cat.

The only time a cat should die prematurely is if it breaks up or if you running rich and it's getting into the cat and igniting.

The thing that sucks is that CA now requires a CA certified Cat which means you can't use any old aftermarket fat anymore.  Magaflow makes a 49 state cat for $90 and a CA cat for $199.
That's what there, the guy I go to uses strictly Magnaflow/Carsound cats. I need to take a temp gun and check the temps going in and out, it's supposed to be hotter coming out if it's good, right? Either way, it looks like I'll end up replacing it in the near future
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
MagnaFlows are nice since they are bolt-on.  IIRC, yes, the temps are supposed to be hotter.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."