Author Topic: Windsheild Frame Replacement Help  (Read 715 times)

Jeeper736

Windsheild Frame Replacement Help
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
I have a brand new windsheild frame (mine is rusty), and I want to install it.  I purchased the seal and reveal molding from Quadratec.  I have some sealant.  I am wondering what I need to do to get the old frame out, get the glass out of the old frame ect ect. 

Anyone ever done this before?  I heard the process was different for the newer YJ's (mines a 95.5).  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Windsheild Frame Replacement Help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »
There is no difference between any of the YJ's.  It's the same process for CJ's as well.  If it was me, I think I'd unbolt the whole windshield hinge from the tub since thats the easiest way to get it off.  Then you can work the upper hinge bolts on a workbench.  Although neither is an easy task.  On the YJ's they use tub sealant on the bolts so you will have to reach up behind the dash and clean them off.  Otherwise the bolt will just spin once you've loosened it.  The best way to get the bolts out is to use a ratchet (air tools are nice) and hold the bolt in place.  Unscrew the nut not the bolt.  I think they used industrial locktite so some heat might be necessary to break the bolts loose.  The ones for the upper hinges will be a bit harder since the nuts are welded to the frame so you have to be a bit more careful not to strip the heads.

Once you get it all apart, I'd consider replacing all the torx head bolts with allen head bolts.  These are less likely to strip.  Another thing you'll notice is that the windshield frame isn't painted behind the hinges.  You may want to have the new frame painted before hand if you're going to paint it.  I'd make sure the inner corners where the molding sits have a good coating of paint.  They like to rust out at the bottom corners.  Installing it should be fairly easy.

As for removing the glass, first remove the molding.  On your '95, it will be one large O-ring instead of a cut piece.    You'll probably want to use piano wire and slide it under the glass to cut the corner loose.  You'll probably want an extra set of hands to hold the glass in place.  Those suction tools glass shops use make it a lot easier to handle by one person.  If you have the whole thing on a work bench, you won't have to worry about it falling out though.

When you put the glass in make sure you use the right polyurethane sealant and not RTV or silicone.  Then use low tack (blue) masking tape to hold the glass against the windshield frame.  You might need to use s spacer to hold the glass in place so it doesn't slide.  It should be dry enough to drive in a few hours and set in a day.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jeeper736

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
Thank you kindly for the info.  I plan to remove the frame from the tub, I agree this will be easier.  I am most concerned with getting the bolts out as I have heard that it is tough.  Thanks again!

4X4DAVE

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »
I'm in the process of removing my windshield frame, I attempted to remove it last weekend and manage to get all the bolts off but 2, that I stripped badly, I did a search and found out the easiest way is to drill the “head” of the bolt only, since I am putting a new frame on I don't have to worry about removing the bolt from the frame, but they said if you need it out then to use a pair of vise grips and it should come right out.

damon54

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:40:05 PM »
I removed mine a couple of months ago.  It wasn't too hard but you may want to remove the glass first.  Once you get the frame loose the glass is easy to crack.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »
Another thing you might want to do while the windshield frame is out.  Hammer out the studs that hold the windshield hinge together.  Then replace them with bolts.  This will allow you to remove the windshield frame easily when going offroad.  Although it probably won't help for day trips but being able to remove the windshield will help keep it in one piece while on more technical trails.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."