Author Topic: Gonna buy a winch  (Read 5544 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Gonna buy a winch
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »
Bottom line is, that if you buy a winch to get out of a tough spot and you rely on it to do so, then buying a cheap piece of junk is not such a good idea. If it's just a bumper ornament then it doesn't matter.

I'll put the same idea in a different context; when you buy insurance, who do you buy it from?  The company that charges you the least, or the most affordable company with a good reputation for taking care of its customers?  You have to think the winch as insurance...  It's the ONE piece of equipment on the Jeep not intended to make the jeep more capable, but rather it is intended to get you out of the jams that all the OTHER stuff that makes the Jeep more capable got you into....
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
I'll put the same idea in a different context; when you buy insurance, who do you buy it from?  The company that charges you the least, or the most affordable company with a good reputation for taking care of its customers?  You have to think the winch as insurance...  It's the ONE piece of equipment on the Jeep not intended to make the jeep more capable, but rather it is intended to get you out of the jams that all the OTHER stuff that makes the Jeep more capable got you into....
That is why you buy the best one you can afford. Ya didn't by a Chinese Jeep either right?
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
That is why you buy the best one you can afford. Ya didn't by a Chinese Jeep either right?
I went for second best, a Canadian Jeep.  :drink:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
Can always winch with your hi-lift if you have the gear and don't mind the time/ work  :wall:   :lol:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
Can always winch with your hi-lift if you have the gear and don't mind the time/ work  :wall:   :lol:

Looks like you have not tried that one yet...  If you only need a couple of inches, the HL will do fine, but anything over a foot, and you will be there for a WHILE...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
You're right, I haven't tried it.  But I do have the gear and can picture the effort.  The concept of the work involved winching with a hi-lift may create a bit of a disincentive for one to do anything that forces one in to actually winching with a hi-lift  :lol:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
Looks like you have not tried that one yet...  If you only need a couple of inches, the HL will do fine, but anything over a foot, and you will be there for a WHILE...
Yeah, that gets old fast!  It's slower then a come-a-long.  Also more dangerous as that handle will swing back hard if you don't keep your grip.  A Hi-lift is great if that's all you have.  Otherwise, it's better to use a different method.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 12:25:10 AM »
aside from the patriotic bone in me that wants to help the American economy, if a chinese jeep was reliable, i would buy one. esp if it had an attractive price.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it