Author Topic: Thinking about going bellyup  (Read 2096 times)

01amberfirewv

Thinking about going bellyup
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:31:26 AM »
I have a HD OME kit and have dropped my t-case but still have some vibes.  I already have a MORE BL that I plan on installing in the spring.  A friend of mine is selling a SYE for $100 if I get that what else will I need.  The new skid and a drive shaft or is there still more invloved?  What bellyup/tummy tucker systems would you guys recommend?

01amberfirewv

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:54:20 AM »
The thing that is really throwing me off on this is the driveshft lenth needed.  Will I be able to run the SYE until I get a belly up with my stock DS?  Will I need upper control arms?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 02:14:23 PM »
Driveshaft lengths probably won't be a problem but U-joint angles will.  You'll probably want a 1" MML when you raise the transfer case.  The front should be ok but the rear will be a problem.  Also keep in mind you don't have to go flush.  Some have a 1" drop.

It should not change the suspension any either since the control arms are attached to the frame.  Although you might need to cam the axle so it points upwards if you go with a CV driveshaft.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:15:51 AM »
http://www.teammodsquad.com/Mods/DansFlatBellySkid.asp
Here's a handy site of things you need to do. Was for a YJ tho.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:42:12 AM »
Hey thanks :wink:

So do you think I could use my factory DS with a SYE and put my stock t-case plate back until I would go belly up?

Offline jagular7

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
An SYE only affects the rear ds and the output shaft of the t-case. Since you are in the planning mode, weigh the options you have available with the 1" BL. Do note, that the belly pan is also a crossmember at the same time on the TJs.
For bolt-on functions, with the 1" BL, I'd suggest a motor mount lift, the SYE, and a shifter bracket swap. To explain, the shifter is a pivot design. The pivot is placed between a trans mount and the body of the TJ. Lifting the body affects this alignment. Skyjacker sells a bracket you swap in place of the stock configuration. Pretty simple. The motor mount lift will consist of only a high location to mount the engine. Swapping these is quite easy. To add, with maintaining the stock trans mount location, you basically tilt the driveline centerline with an upward swing. This tilts the back of the t-case down. This supports the SYE. You won't be able to use your stock rear ds without some mods to it. Before your buddy removes his, take a look at his setup on the rear ds. If you can use his rear ds, ask for it also. Basically, to find out, measure a point on the back if his t-case to the pinion yoke on the rear diff. Do the same for yours. If they are within an inch, I would say, you are good to go. Do note, that if you can't because of a lift or something else, then with the SYE installed, you can still actually drive on the street with only the front ds moving you in 4hi. You can get your rear ds custom lengthened for your SYE install and measurements. If you plan to do all this with a stock suspension, take one step farther. I suggest you get adjustable upper rear control arms. This will help in rotating the pinion to point to the back of the t-case for better operating angle on the joints.

Take pics, and let us know how it works out. Good luck.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:13:14 PM »
You can't use the stock drive shaft with the SYE. It will most likely be too short and you don't have a slip spline thing in the shaft.

I just went and took a front Cherokee shaft with a CV and shortened it to fit. Make sure your rear axle pinon has a 1310 yoke. Some have 1330. The Cherokee shaft got all had 1310 ujoints all round.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 09:49:59 AM »
I think I am just going to do the SYE now.  Does anyone know what DS I'll need for a SYE and 2.5-3" of lift?

SMC4WD

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 11:57:57 AM »
Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts has a great site and offers a simple way to order the correct driveshaft.

Check out his website and click on the link at the top "Order/Quote"
http://www.4xshaft.com/