Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 23193 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Headlights
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
Anyone upgrade their headlights?  I think we need a thread on headlights and what people use.  Jeep headlights are notoriously bad.

I've heard mixed results with Sylvania Silverlights

I still have stock lights with aftermarket AUX.  Been thinking about going with a HID conversion or even a HID Projection.  Anyone have any experience with them?  I love the cut off HID's have.  Still, I think they will be bright on a lifted Jeep as the cut off is going to be higher then most cars at 25ft-50ft.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:02:53 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
i used Sylvania but i think at the time (6 years ago or so) they were called Super Bright X vision or something like that - I can't remember exactly. They were awesome (really), one burned after about 2 years and I went back to get a replacement, but the ones i had were discontinued but there was some equivalent replacement (could be the silverlights but not sure) - not even close to the other ones, couldn't find them since and the clerk at the store told me that they were not legal that's why they were pulled out of the stores. Now i got a set that has repaceable bulbs, got the 100w ones but did not get a chance to drive the Jeep with them yet. What sucks is the lens look-alike in the center of the headlights, i don't dig that but some do.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
Still running the stockers.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
I put on a light bar.

never found the headlights on my jeep to be that bad. even with stock bulbs I have been flashed at when pulling trailers on low beam setting.

try a head light adjustment or even just new set of bulbs.

I have ran HID's unless you have proper projector head lights they won't work that great, and you will be flashed none stop with a lifted vehicle cause of the cut unless you aim them down witch totally defeats having them!

you could get the brighter rated bulbs like the Silvana ones etc.. but my findings with them is they burn out quicker and cost 4-5 times more.

in my opinion it's not worth the extra cash spent. your better off putting on a good set of fogs on your bumper and running 4 beams

p.s. the light bar rocks for beaming the people who flash you cause you have a trailer on the back  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:40:45 AM by Torch_Ind »

b.hog

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
I had the lense type housings Sharp mentioned and recently replaced em with  Rampage housings,can pick and choose whatever bulbs I want to run.I had alot of problems at night not being able to see far enough with the stock headlights,especially after night runs on back roads etc,seeing a deer after its too late sucks.I would recommend getting some.I do have Kc's and dont need to use em much anymore because I run a higher watt headlight.Bulbs are relatively cheap to experiment with,I keep the ones Ive "culled" as backups..

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »
Mine could use an upgrade.  Would probably buy a setup, including wiring, through Stern lighting or maybe check out an HD kit and wiring where those are sold.   

I wouldn't mind high-beams that lit "forever," but low-beams I'd rather have something better than stock, but not enough to get a lot of people flashing, police doing u-turns.  Was thinking maybe 55w/100w bulbs in say a Cibie or Hella housing, upgraded wiring.
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
I use Delta's H4 conversion kits.  Better than stock, but still not nearly enough light by themselves.  I add a couple of 55W KC Slimlight (fog light pattern) on the front bumper for daily drive, and for night roads, I have a pair of 100W KC Daylighters (long range pattern) which really lights up the road ahead.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
I went with the IPF housing and the Fatboy bulbs 3 years ago...they kick ass.

Bright...focused in the right spots.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
I went with the IPF housing and the Fatboy bulbs 3 years ago...they kick ass.

Bright...focused in the right spots.

you have round headlights, even stock yours are probably twice better than the square ones. wait till you drive a YJ at night  :yikes:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

JohnnyO

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
Mine came with Sylvanias already in it.  I think they're Silverstars but I don't know for sure.  They're pretty darn bright.  People flash me all the time when I just have the low beams on.

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
I run the sylvania silverstars and they are good. If you live in socal there are so many cars on the roads at night its like daytime.

Run my KC's at night on the trails
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

jramey

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Im running the cheapest sylvania replacements in my xj, the lows are to low for my liking but the brights are pretty good imo

WranglerCOdy

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 05:25:26 AM »
i snagged the h4 conversion from quadratech for 50 bucks used. guy wrecked his jeep and was parting it out. i love them soo far brighter then stock but have more plans in future.

st.chevrolet

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
 I'm running Hella H4's with PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs 4000K 65/55w = 120/110w. I couldn't ask for better lighting.

AGUHR

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »
I upgraded my headlights to HIDs, HUGE difference. Very easy to do, cost about $120 total, new lights with the removable bulb, HID ballasts and all the wiring harnesses needed. Funny thing is the manufacturer goofed up and sent me angle eyes with a blue hue, since i had it i wired it into a separate switch.  Its really worthless on the function side - but looks cool in the dark.