Author Topic: lunchbox Locked Dana 30 steering issues  (Read 5028 times)

JeepNeek

lunchbox Locked Dana 30 steering issues
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
Hi All;

So about a month ago I locked the front differential(Dana 30) with Spartan locker(lunchbox)  and ever since then I have been experiencing these weird jerks when I try to make left turns(happens randomly). This happens in both 2 and 4wd mode .In 4wd I have lost a lot of control over steering,jeep jerks to the right when I accelerate and to the left when in decelerate . Also when making turns I can hear and feel the inner Tire slip making it quite hard to make a sharp turn ( no problem whatsoever in 2wd mode).I Googled to see common issues with locked front diff and steering was something that everyone kept mentioning.
Is there anyone here who experienced similar issues? Could it be a faulty installation on my part? Also someone mentioned locking hubs while locking front end could anyone care to explain how that works?  :puzzled: :puzzled:

Thanks much-
Neek-

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: lunchbox Locked Dana 30 steering issues
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
Hi All;

So about a month ago I locked the front differential(Dana 30) with Spartan locker(lunchbox)  and ever since then I have been experiencing these weird jerks when I try to make left turns(happens randomly). This happens in both 2 and 4wd mode .In 4wd I have lost a lot of control over steering,jeep jerks to the right when I accelerate and to the left when in decelerate . Also when making turns I can hear and feel the inner Tire slip making it quite hard to make a sharp turn ( no problem whatsoever in 2wd mode).I Googled to see common issues with locked front diff and steering was something that everyone kept mentioning.
Is there anyone here who experienced similar issues? Could it be a faulty installation on my part? Also someone mentioned locking hubs while locking front end could anyone care to explain how that works?  :puzzled: :puzzled:

Thanks much-
Neek-

since you don't have a quick axle disconnect (like the YJ) installing a lunchbox would cause those issues up front (a normally open selectable locker would be preferred, even a limited slip would cause issues) - i don't think it's a faulty install on your part, just the way it is.

locking hubs would act like the axle disconnect (actually better) - what it would do is to disconnect the shafts at the hub and so that they don't rotate when in 2wd, that way your locker will not come in play when making turns due to different radius (inside tire vs outside), quick disco is similar but it just disconnects the right side pass axle so the diff is not connecting the 2 sides together.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
In 2WD you should not know it's there. There is no power going to the front end.
In 4WD it will be harder to turn since the locker is getting power from the drivetrain. It will make your turning circle larger too. Not sure why your getting a jerk in the steering.
Could be something wrong with the tiny springs or something that for some reason it's not letting it unlock.
I don't think the locking hubs is worth the crazy money for the D30.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
In 2WD you should not know it's there. There is no power going to the front end.

isn't a lunchbox locked all the time and clicks/skips over? in that case what difference does it make if you have power going to the front or not, still dragging one wheel and slowing the other and will skip as you go, the steering will fight you and won't be smooth like an open diff - at least that's what i understand the issue is up front, in the rear is not as obvious since you're not steering it.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
Did you check for proper gap between the side couplers after installation?  Sounds like it may not be disengaging properly.

Much of what you're describing sounds pretty normal, but not sure all of it is.

You can always sell it and go with a good Limited Slip differential like the Detroit Truetrac if you want transparent operation.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »
isn't a lunchbox locked all the time and clicks/skips over? in that case what difference does it make if you have power going to the front or not, still dragging one wheel and slowing the other and will skip as you go, the steering will fight you and won't be smooth like an open diff - at least that's what i understand the issue is up front, in the rear is not as obvious since you're not steering it.

When I had the D30 with a Detroit, in 2wd you could not tell it was there at all so I would assume the lunchbox lockers would be invisible too. When I ran a Lock-right in the rear it was very noisy around corners until I learned how to minimize it. (Detroits are way less noisy)
When the lunchbox lockers lock and unlock they will ratchet with the spring set up they have. But in 2wd this should not happen, it needs torque from being in 4wd to make it ratchet.
I think you are right and they are locked all the time and when they unlock around corners is when you hear them. With a locker with springs (lunch box or Detroit) when cornering either the tire will slip on loose/wet type surfaces and you won't have locker noise because the tire has slipped on the road/trail surface. If the tire can't slip then the locker will unlock to allow better cornering, that's when you hear the noise or feel it though the suspension/chassis.
If he is getting issues in 2wd I would say something is not right in there. I don't know what it could be but there should not be any issues in 2wd.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:52:39 AM »
The Aussie I've had in the front end on mine for the last 6 or so years has never "made its presence known" on the street in 2wd.   

I'd be leaning towards saying something got out-of-line with your installation, unfortunately.   
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

AGUHR

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
The Aussie I've had in the front end on mine for the last 6 or so years has never "made its presence known" on the street in 2wd.   

I'd be leaning towards saying something got out-of-line with your installation, unfortunately.   

x2 I've had my assuie for 2 years now, (TJ axles up front on my YJ too) never notice its there. It does sound like the gaping is wrong and the locker is not dis-engaging properly.

JeepNeek

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
First of All Thanks all for great feedback. 4banger community is absolutely amazing.

Secondly If y'all think its an install issue, I'll open up the differential again and try to re-install the springs this weekend.

Gives me something to do  ;) and hopefully will work out the kinks(if any).

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »
take some pics while you're at it  :naughty:

JeepNeek

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »
will do

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »
Check the gap between the side couplers and make sure it's within spec.

Also test the locker per the instructions before bolting the cover on.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
First of All Thanks all for great feedback. 4banger community is absolutely amazing.

Secondly If y'all think its an install issue, I'll open up the differential again and try to re-install the springs this weekend.

Gives me something to do  ;) and hopefully will work out the kinks(if any).

I'd first jack up the front and see if it's working properly.  What you do is grab one tire then turn it.  Both tires should turn.  Have someone hold the other tire and turn yours back 1/8-1/4 turn backwards then rotate it forwards.  This should unlock the locker.  Do this to both sides to make sure the locker is unlocking properly.  You can also rotate the tire forwards and unlock it in reverse of the previous.  This should be in the instructions, if not there is it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

subsonic

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
I ran the Spartan in my TJ's D30 with zero issues.  Could not notice anything in 2WD and in 4WD you would have the appropriate clicking sound.

Sounds as if something is not right.