Author Topic: trying to decide on what to do next  (Read 4006 times)

Dynamic4x4

trying to decide on what to do next
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
hows it going,  I'm about to return from a deployment and was contemplateing  doing a v8 swap in my 95 yj right now its lifted on 35s and has 4.88 gears but it is still sluggish does anyone here have any experiance with this.  If so some feedback would be great my main thing is going to be streetability i mean its still a toy and mpg isnt extremely important but i would like to be able to crouse down the interstate at 70mph and not have to keep it floored in 4th most the time.  Anyother suggestions other than turbo or supercharger would be greatly appreciated to i just cant see dumping that much money into the 4banger and still not haveing much power thanks for any input

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
Re: trying to decide on what to do next
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
A v8 is a good option, although consider the Vortec 4.3L v6 as well, a good motor with some weight savings over the v8.

Keep in mind that the axles may live under that v8 with careful use onroad, but you'll quickly find the limits of the axles when offroad.

I installed d44's in my YJ in order to use 5.38 gears and it cruises down the interstate all day long in 5th gear at 70mph.  The 2.5L still is no powerhouse but it's livable.  Isuzu Rodeo d44 rear and Wagoneer d44 front.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Vortec 4.3L v6 would be my choice too, with an SM420 (this will also keep you in 4th on the interstate) and a dana 300.  A pair of dana 44s with a passenger side pumpkin in front would finish it up.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
I would go with a LO5 5.7L pre-Vortec.  I think that's up to 1995.  It's solid engine with plenty of available parts.  Nothing to special about it but it's pre-OBDII so there is less to do.  Shouldn't have a smart key either.  Should be cheap too since they were very common.  Bolt up a 700R4 and a NVG231-C and you'd be all set.  No adapters needed either.  Stay away from adapters if you're wanting to keep it cheap.

Otherwise, swap the axles out for something bigger.  Minimum Dana 44 and regear to 5.38's or 5.89.  it won't be fast but it will be liveable.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
A v8 is a good option, although consider the Vortec 4.3L v6 as well, a good motor with some weight savings over the v8.

Keep in mind that the axles may live under that v8 with careful use onroad, but you'll quickly find the limits of the axles when offroad.

I installed d44's in my YJ in order to use 5.38 gears and it cruises down the interstate all day long in 5th gear at 70mph.  The 2.5L still is no powerhouse but it's livable.  Isuzu Rodeo d44 rear and Wagoneer d44 front.

Would love that axle setup on some 35s with the 4banger.  

Dynamic 4x4, V8 or V6, if it was me, I'd make sure I got a newer engine (or a brand new one if I had the dough)   http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_1108_swap_a_magnum_v8_into_a_jeep_wrangler/index.html.  I've come across that article a few time checking out JP and it reads like the dude was a little disappointed with the dyno results (course he did say it was running rich).  For the trouble/cost of the swap, I wouldn't want to end up disappointed.   Hope the dude got the tune sorted out.  :pirate:  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:34:51 PM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
I would go with a LO5 5.7L pre-Vortec.  I think that's up to 1995.  It's solid engine with plenty of available parts.  Nothing to special about it but it's pre-OBDII so there is less to do.  Shouldn't have a smart key either.  Should be cheap too since they were very common.  Bolt up a 700R4 and a NVG231-C and you'd be all set.  No adapters needed either.  Stay away from adapters if you're wanting to keep it cheap.

Otherwise, swap the axles out for something bigger.  Minimum Dana 44 and regear to 5.38's or 5.89.  it won't be fast but it will be liveable.

I think the gearing recommendation above is if you keep the 2.5.  A friend here locally has the 4.0, auto tranny, stock NP231 gearing, 35" tires, and 4.88 in the d44 axles and it works great on and off road (mostly rocks in his case), so you don´t have to go too deep in the gearing with a good engine and auto tranny.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

YJmechanic

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
its all in your own opinion.   a v8 is a good option that will give you plenty of power but as has been said,  you may find other weak links in the system quickly with the added power.  another option is the steep gears,  this is a good option to as it will work better with what you have engine wise but will require different axles.  this is my opinion is good though as stock axles are weak anyway and this will get you new axles and better driveability you want.  there is the next option which is what i did and pump up the little 2.5 for everything it has with a large rebuild, and use mild gearing.  then there is the last option and my favorite,  drop in a small diesel engine like a cummins 4bt.  like i said lots of options just personel preference

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
then there is the last option and my favorite,  drop in a small diesel engine like a cummins 4bt. 

You know, I have always thought it odd that everytime a US Jeeper thinks of a diesel engine, they go straight to the Cummings.  In my opinion, these are too heavy, and there are better options (although I don't know how many of them are available in the US) from Toyota and VW (and some other European and Japanese manufacturers as well).

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

YJmechanic

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
i go straight to the cummins because im a diesel mechanic and cummins makes the most reliable and powerful platforms.  also they are the easiest and quickest to get the parts for.  there was tons of cummins motors made for delivery trucks and small equipment.  i would always use something that has good following,  vw stuff as never seemed reliable to me as i have worked on quite a few and had problems with most of them.  there is other options like the izuzu diesels that cam stock in cj10 and such but they are very rare motors and have little support or following

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
i go straight to the cummins because im a diesel mechanic and cummins makes the most reliable and powerful platforms.  also they are the easiest and quickest to get the parts for.  there was tons of cummins motors made for delivery trucks and small equipment.  i would always use something that has good following,  vw stuff as never seemed reliable to me as i have worked on quite a few and had problems with most of them.  there is other options like the izuzu diesels that cam stock in cj10 and such but they are very rare motors and have little support or following

Here in Costa Rica (as well as in Panama), Toyota diesel engines are the most common swap.  you can get them from TLC, TLC Prado, Fortuners, HiLux, HiAce, Coaster and a bunch of other models in all shapes form and sizes...  Typically, TLC, Prado nd HiLux (or Fortuner, which uses the same drive train and chassis) are used, though.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
Here in Costa Rica (as well as in Panama), Toyota diesel engines are the most common swap.  you can get them from TLC, TLC Prado, Fortuners, HiLux, HiAce, Coaster and a bunch of other models in all shapes form and sizes...  Typically, TLC, Prado nd HiLux (or Fortuner, which uses the same drive train and chassis) are used, though.

Well if they are so plentifull start shiping them north :dance:
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
Well if they are so plentifull start shiping them north :dance:

My DD is actually powered by one...  Toyota Fortuner.

Power Output   120kw@3400
Torque           343nm@1400
Torque stays flat all the way to 3.5K RPM...

YJmechanic

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
unfortunately in the us those are not available vehicles for us.  like i said though i would go for whatever is easily accessed where you are.  just for convience.  unfortunately id already have a 4bt in mine if there wasnt a shop near me that does the swap (they starting bying everyone in the area, so you almost have to go to them if you dont want to deal with freight shipping) but i am slowly combing for a good deal on one cause i have a cj7 that is waiting for it.  unfortunately time and money are slowing me down right now.  but rest assured when i get the time and come across a good deal on one i will right it all up and post lots of pics of the next four cyl i build

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
I still think the diesel out of a Mercedes/ Dodge sprinter would be a sweet setup fairly light engine good power through rpm range because of the variable turbo. The trick would be to mate it to a trans and transfer case and work out all the wiring.
I did the gearing have about as much reduction as I can, but for what I want I need low end torque for krawling and more power to blast up steep ledges.
Doing something like this would be a real kick in the pants. Neither a Cummins diesel or any 4 banger will launch like this

2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

YJmechanic

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
take it from a chrysler tech.  the sprinter motor is not the most reliable engine to be using.  the injectors have a habit of going bad frequently and they cost most of what the cummins motor does complete.  also the initial cost of the mercedes motor is very high.  remeber the world motors thaqt are making jeep look bad now.  aka 3.7/2.4 are mecedes motors also. the cummins motor can produce tons of power.  cummins motors are factory set to their power levels.  the 4bt with larger injectors and turbo with the fuel timing turned up will produce more than enough power and torque for anything you need.