Author Topic: Soft top benefits?  (Read 5134 times)

Nicks92jeeper

Soft top benefits?
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
So I have a hard top and a soft top that came with my jeep when I bought it. I prefer to use the hard top and have never even put the soft top on to see what it looks like and if all the parts are there. Couple questions I have. Is there really any benefit to having a soft top in contrast to a hard top? Does a soft top fold down like you would have in a convertible? Also given that I have never put it on I have no clue of all of the parts are there. Does anyone have a list of parts or a source to get individual parts if I keep it?  The soft top is in pretty good condition and I have no complaints about it given I know jack squat about them but it would be nice to have it as a back up as well as have a little extra cash.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Soft top benefits?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
Is there really any benefit to having a soft top in contrast to a hard top?

Yes, but there are also benefits on the Hard Top.  Soft top is lighter, which means it is better for wheeling, as it helps lower the CG, and lowers the total vehicle weight (meaning you will not be slaming your tires into the fenders as often when the Jeep is all loaded up.  You can also run it as a Safari Top by removing all windows, which means you get better ventilation on hot days when wheeling than you would with the hard top.  But the hard top makes a better deterrent to having you Jeep broken into and it is MUCH more civilized when driving around town.

Does a soft top fold down like you would have in a convertible?

Depends on the top.  OEM one, no.  But supertop has an aftermarket one that does fold down.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Yes, but there are also benefits on the Hard Top.  Soft top is lighter, which means it is better for wheeling, as it helps lower the CG, and lowers the total vehicle weight (meaning you will not be slaming your tires into the fenders as often when the Jeep is all loaded up.  You can also run it as a Safari Top by removing all windows, which means you get better ventilation on hot days when wheeling than you would with the hard top.  But the hard top makes a better deterrent to having you Jeep broken into and it is MUCH more civilized when driving around town.

Depends on the top.  OEM one, no.  But supertop has an aftermarket one that does fold down.
all soft tops fold down is just a bit of the pain to fold everything together when you lower it. i prefer a soft top unless its below freezing because i generally like to run with the top down and removing the hard top by yourself isn't a real option unless you have a fancy lift. 
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
Honestly,  I wouldn't bother with the softtop unless you're going on a trip where the weather might go south and you're too far from home.  Other then that you'll probably either run the hardtop most of the time and when you want to get more sun, remove the top all together.  I haven't bothered to remove my hardtop this year.  I like the extra level of security.  When it's been hot, I have taken the doors off which is easy.  I have a bikini top as well.  I don't own a softtop anymore.

BTW: putting on the softtop after the sun goes down is a real PITA.

In the FAQ there is this:  http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,570.html
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
Hey thanks for all the thoughts and info. I have no idea what type this one is. I like the idea of being able to fold it down though and if bad weather happens I can put it back up. Pry better gas mileage and better wheelin which I  have not done yet due to the sucky town I live in. I think for now though I will keep it and install it next year. Is there a way to see what type of top it is as well as is there a source to buy replacement parts if needed?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
Hey thanks for all the thoughts and info. I have no idea what type this one is. I like the idea of being able to fold it down though and if bad weather happens I can put it back up. Pry better gas mileage and better wheelin which I  have not done yet due to the sucky town I live in. I think for now though I will keep it and install it next year. Is there a way to see what type of top it is as well as is there a source to buy replacement parts if needed?
You will get better gas mileage with the hardtop.  The hardtop doesn't grab the wind and is 2" shorter then the soft top.  The top with doors weighs more but all that flapping acts like a loose sail.

As for the type of top.  It's OEM will be square.

"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
noise at hwy speeds is also an issue with a soft top, i only have one of those and it gets to you on long trips. Only issue i have with a YJ/TJ hardtop is the weight, it's damn heavy - can't understand why they didn't ever come up with an modular aluminum or even stamped sheetmetal one.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
noise at hwy speeds is also an issue with a soft top, i only have one of those and it gets to you on long trips. Only issue i have with a YJ/TJ hardtop is the weight, it's damn heavy - can't understand why they didn't ever come up with an modular aluminum or even stamped sheetmetal one.
Yeah, noise level really gets to you.  My ears were ringing from all the noise after driving some 200 miles.  Although Nick has full doors which helps a lot with the noise.

Stamped steel tops were available for CJ's and they weren't that good.  Insulation on the inside was sketchy at best.  Noise level was still pretty high as well.  I think the molded tops were easier to mfg. but like you said they are heavy.  The new tops on the JK are supposedly much lighter.  They aren't fiberglass anymore which cut down on the weight.  I think making them modular made it a lot easier to remove without help as well.  In the 80's and 90's though, I'd be worried about the seals leaking.  It was a real problem with sun roof cars in the 80's.  They all seemed to leak sooner or later.  Mostly sooner.

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:54:54 PM »
Yeah the full doors are nice. Given that the OEM is square the good news is that it is not square so yay! I was worried about the sound of the flapping from the top and if that is going to be tolerable. I really like the hard top. That is nice but if I use the soft top I have to find a place for the hard top to go and that is part of the problem.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
one way to avoid flapping of the top is to have the door windows rolled up and open the vent or crank the heater fan all the way up, will create positive pressure and inflate the top (if you do that driving 50 or 60 and then open the door window you'll notice the difference  between the 2)

still noisy but helps.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 06:27:05 AM »
If i had a hardtop i would run it during the winter only. It would def keep the heat in better than the softop. That said, I dont have much of an issue (if any) heating the jeep in the winter. On the coldest days it may take a bit longer to heat and may not get as hot but its never been so ineffecient as to require me to wear a jacket and gloves while driving...on the coldest days i may have to keep a sweatshirt on while driving but it hasn't been worse than that AND that's with half doors and on really cold days. Benefit with the hardtop would be the insulation.
Summer time, nothing better than being able to just pull down the top at will and put it back up whenever you like. If all you have is the hardtop, you would have to ride with a bikini top for those surprise showers, or have to go through the hassle of wrestling the top on everytime the weather looks like it's gonna be crappy.

Jeffy mentioned putting the top on at night, yes it is a pain, but once you've done it a few times it really isnt that bad and you sort of memorize how to do it. I can do mine in the dark no problem now, BUT if it cools down enough at night it becomes a pain cause the fabric constricts. My advise would be to go ahead and run the softtop during the summer and put it away during the winter.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:47:05 AM »
Jeffy mentioned putting the top on at night, yes it is a pain, but once you've done it a few times it really isnt that bad and you sort of memorize how to do it. I can do mine in the dark no problem now,

TJ is easier, YJ is more of a pain to put the top on, never got my head around why they didn't do the solid piece across the windshield frame on YJs.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
Kind of wish I had a Hard Top.  But for me I run the Soft top in the winter and a Bikini Top in the summer.   To put the top up best to have a temp of 70 or higher.

For storage of the Hard top there are several storage methods that get it up and out of the way.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
I live in summer only weather (COLD here is what? 60 in Costa Rica and maybe 70 in Panama?), and I have yet to either run without top (ok, I did it ONCE in Panama!) or run a soft top.  But I DO feel the difference when wheeling.  Oh, and I DO take the doors and the front of the top (mine is a targa) off every now and then.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
But I DO feel the difference when wheeling.

what do you mean, difference between what and what? (didn't understand what you meant)