Author Topic: Soft top benefits?  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Soft top benefits?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
what do you mean, difference between what and what? (didn't understand what you meant)
I'm betting the weight difference.  I notice it as well.  My Jeep sits with about +.5" at the rear.  With the doors and top off it's +1-2" at the rear.  The suspension doesn't feel soft anymore.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
I'm betting the weight difference.  I notice it as well.  My Jeep sits with about +.5" at the rear.  With the doors and top off it's +1-2" at the rear.  The suspension doesn't feel soft anymore.

thought so but then he said he doesnt drive his without the hardtop so that's what got me confused.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »
what do you mean, difference between what and what? (didn't understand what you meant)

Weight difference, as Jeffy stated.  With the Jeep loaded up for a 2 day wheeling trip, the rear tires hit the fender well.  And chains only make the damage a bit more interesting!

thought so but then he said he doesnt drive his without the hardtop so that's what got me confused.

I mean compared to when I ran the soft top...  Remember I ran it with the soft top for about a year and a half and then got the hard top.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

JohnnyO

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
Ours has a softop.  I replaced the original with a Bestop sailcloth unit this summer and it is quieter.  As far as folding it, you just release everything and take out the windows.  It will fold down without removing the rear window but folds better if you do.  It's okay in the winter but our Jeep does not have A/C (heresy to some, I realize) and in the summer I can't imagine driving it with a hardtop on.
I'm at an age where I have more forehead every day and ballcaps tend to blow off, so this past summer I would usually take the windows out and sometimes take the doors off, but leave the top on for shade.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
Ours has a softop.  I replaced the original with a Bestop sailcloth unit this summer and it is quieter.  As far as folding it, you just release everything and take out the windows.  It will fold down without removing the rear window but folds better if you do.  It's okay in the winter but our Jeep does not have A/C (heresy to some, I realize) and in the summer I can't imagine driving it with a hardtop on.
I'm at an age where I have more forehead every day and ballcaps tend to blow off, so this past summer I would usually take the windows out and sometimes take the doors off, but leave the top on for shade.
If you don't get a hardtop then just getting full doors will help a lot.

The hard part with soft tops is rolling up the windows without scratching them all up.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JohnnyO

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
If you don't get a hardtop then just getting full doors will help a lot.
Yeah, ours came with full doors and crank windows.  One reason why I bought the one I did.  I put door edge guards on the bottom of the doors so they don't scratch when I set them down. I'd like tube doors for summer but it rains a heckuva lot here all year.

SDWE61988

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
I run with both tops. I just put the Hard top on for the winter.  It is quite heavy and cumbersome for what it is.  but it does make a difference in the winter.  I do not have any carpeting in my jeep so heating it in the winter is quite a challange even with the hard top.  I do like the soft top for summertime. (especially with no AC).  It is very liberating though to drive around with the top down and the doors off. Even in the suburban jungle.

JohnnyO

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »
I don't have one, yet, but Bestop makes a headliner for soft tops.  Ought to keep it somewhat warmer and quieter.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
For a daily driver, the hard top is more convenient due to the added security.  Here in Monterrey, Mexico I would not even think about running a soft top. If I ever manage to buy another car, I'll keep the YJ as a trail rig and convert to a safari top and soft doors since the hard top is just dead weight to lift up obstacles.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »
For a daily driver, the hard top is more convenient due to the added security.  Here in Monterrey, Mexico I would not even think about running a soft top. If I ever manage to buy another car, I'll keep the YJ as a trail rig and convert to a safari top and soft doors since the hard top is just dead weight to lift up obstacles.

Pretty much the same issues I have here; I kind of HAVE to have a hard top, but I HATE lugging all that weight around when wheeling!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 07:02:55 AM »
I don't have one, yet, but Bestop makes a headliner for soft tops.  Ought to keep it somewhat warmer and quieter.

But not the older ones like YJ's.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's