Author Topic: Stop children what's that sound?  (Read 9379 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Stop children what's that sound?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
There seems to be an option for the HD tail housing that's a $245 option on the 4-speed.  Both have provisions for the speedometer gear.

Optioned out it's going to be $3,361.00 and $78.88 to ship it.  Pretty expensive piece. :yikes:

• 11.70:1
  • LHD
  • 21 Spline
  • HD Tailhousing
  • Rear 1310 CV
  • Front 1310 Non CV
  • Shifter Universal
did you look at Dana20 + klune david combo ? can save a chunk of cash, Scott can chime in with the install details, should be what he's running. not helical cut gears but i believe the advantage over D300 is that you don't need to flip it (that's what i recall he said but not sure).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
did you look at Dana20 + klune david combo ? can save a chunk of cash, Scott can chime in with the install details, should be what he's running. not helical cut gears but i believe the advantage over D300 is that you don't need to flip it (that's what i recall he said but not sure).
Yes, I've looked into that back when the mailing list was active.  You have to use a Ford D20 to get the correct drop.

Honestly though I'll probably be happiest with the Atlas.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
There seems to be an option for the HD tail housing that's a $245 option on the 4-speed.  Both have provisions for the speedometer gear.

Optioned out it's going to be $3,361.00 and $78.88 to ship it.  Pretty expensive piece. :yikes:

That HD tail housings seems to be something new, hadn´t seen it before.  It isn't even in their Tech Vault yet.  The standard I believe is the base for the HD D300 tail housing they offer, so the HD tail housing for the Atlas must be something with some pretty impressive strength.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
The Atlas is a lot less work than the Klune D20. Plus the D20 hangs down more. I have mine clocked as high as can be and it still sits a bit below the frame rail.

What do you get with the HD tail housing for $245?

Is that 11:70 to 1 the 2.72 and 4.3? That would be a nice set up. The 3.8 would be ok too but if I was starting all over I'd go that route.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
Honestly though I'll probably be happiest with the Atlas.

no doubt is the best
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »
Saw this on 4wheel & Sport Utility.  Looks like the shifter moves fore and aft by the looks of the knob but knowing the AA shifter it might shift L/R.  I wonder if there is enough slack in the cable to mount the shifter in front of the others but fore and aft?

"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 02:55:21 AM »
there's room to have the doubler shifter between the f/r ones and the transmission, you might need to bend the f/r to the left a bit but it can fit. i think they even have an option with 3 shifters on the same shaft (saw that somewhere) and there's a triple boot for it, way nicer than the side to side solution.

another option is to go with a long cable and have it below the e-brake release handle (installed upside down) or maybe using one of the push/pull cable ones that replace the vac actuated front axle disconnect (not sure if it gives you enough leverage though but that would be nice if it can be made to work).

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »
Saw this on 4wheel & Sport Utility.  Looks like the shifter moves fore and aft by the looks of the knob but knowing the AA shifter it might shift L/R.  I wonder if there is enough slack in the cable to mount the shifter in front of the others but fore and aft?

That's the pic I had seen before. The problem with the position in the pic is that there is very little room under the dash for fore/aft movement.  It might work if you make the lever very, very short.  The cable is plenty long enough even to put it outboard of the driver's seat.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:52:43 AM by neale_rs »
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »

though i am wondering why didn't this guy  use the available space to the right of the f/r shifters? (just came to me)

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
The transmission is under there.  The cable shifter has a metal box that hangs under the floor, the lever pivots inside this box.  That's the normal way to mount it.  It can be mounted over the floor (like in my case) but a bracket needs to added (welded on in my case) to the bottom of that metal box so that it can be bolted down.  The drawback to over the floor mounting is that an extra hole needs to be cut in the floor for the cable to pass through.  With the normal, under floor, mounting the cable stays completely under the floor.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »

What do you get with the HD tail housing for $245?

Is that 11:70 to 1 the 2.72 and 4.3? That would be a nice set up. The 3.8 would be ok too but if I was starting all over I'd go that route.

Also, how can the short tail housing be made any more HD?  I would like to see a picture of these new options, but they don't seem to be on their web page yet.

Definitely go for the 2.72 x 4.3 = 11.7.  It gives a much better ratio than the 3.8 with just the TC in low, 77:1 vs. 68:1 (with 4.56 in the diffs).  It looks like enough to make a difference.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:28:40 AM by neale_rs »

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
Ok, here is the info on the HD output.  It sounds like the tail housing itself is the same but the output shaft is stronger, 300M alloy.

Standard 32 Spline Atlas Tailhousing
The standard Atlas transfer case comes with a rear tailhousing that accepts a stock Jeep speedometer from Jeep vehicles 1987 & newer.  Atlas units ordered for earlier Jeeps or other vehicles can order a mechanical drive speedometer housing.  This housing is the same as an early style Jeep.  To connect to this housing, a special cable fitting may be necessary.  The speedometer provision on the Atlas also allows you to calibrate your speedometer for tire and gearing changes.

Heavy Duty 32 Spline Tailhousing
The HD Atlas rear tailhousing is basically the same as the standard housing with the exception on the output shaft.  The output shaft in this tailhousing is manufactured out of 300M steel.  This was introduced into our product line for a special aftermarket military vehicle.  This high grade steel shaft is 130% stronger than our standard output.  This kit is not necessary for most applications; however, for extreme horsepower and torque this Atlas HD tailhousing may be for you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:25:47 AM by neale_rs »

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
The HD Atlas rear tailhousing is basically the same as the standard housing with the exception on the output shaft.  The output shaft in this tailhousing is manufactured out of 300M steel.  This was introduced into our product line for a special aftermarket military vehicle.  This high grade steel shaft is 130% stronger than our standard output.  This kit is not necessary for most applications; however, for extreme horsepower and torque this Atlas HD tailhousing may be for you.

I would agree that is is not needed for most people. I would save the money for drive shafts or something.
My output shaft is a 10 spline. I did have it cryo'ed and I do have a spare. So far so good.
Plus my buddy with his Klune/231 is running a SYE on his and I am pretty sure it's not a 32 spline one. No problems.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:40:26 AM by Jeffy »
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
The transmission is under there.  The cable shifter has a metal box that hangs under the floor, the lever pivots inside this box.  That's the normal way to mount it.  It can be mounted over the floor (like in my case) but a bracket needs to added (welded on in my case) to the bottom of that metal box so that it can be bolted down.  The drawback to over the floor mounting is that an extra hole needs to be cut in the floor for the cable to pass through.  With the normal, under floor, mounting the cable stays completely under the floor.
Yeah, the box hangs down pretty far.  Although my guess is that he wanted the shifters all on the left side.

I'd hate to have to run all cables but it looks really clean.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:42:08 AM by Jeffy »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
Ok, here is the info on the HD output.  It sounds like the tail housing itself is the same but the output shaft is stronger, 300M alloy.

Standard 32 Spline Atlas Tailhousing
The standard Atlas transfer case comes with a rear tailhousing that accepts a stock Jeep speedometer from Jeep vehicles 1987 & newer.  Atlas units ordered for earlier Jeeps or other vehicles can order a mechanical drive speedometer housing.  This housing is the same as an early style Jeep.  To connect to this housing, a special cable fitting may be necessary.  The speedometer provision on the Atlas also allows you to calibrate your speedometer for tire and gearing changes.

Heavy Duty 32 Spline Tailhousing
The HD Atlas rear tailhousing is basically the same as the standard housing with the exception on the output shaft.  The output shaft in this tailhousing is manufactured out of 300M steel.  This was introduced into our product line for a special aftermarket military vehicle.  This high grade steel shaft is 130% stronger than our standard output.  This kit is not necessary for most applications; however, for extreme horsepower and torque this Atlas HD tailhousing may be for you.
Good to know.  I didn't see that on their site.  So I'll get the standard.