Author Topic: ELECTRIC FAN or NOT ?  (Read 9030 times)

quicksand

ELECTRIC FAN or NOT ?
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:48:17 PM »
I might have ask this before I dont know. I have a 97 wrangler with many mods under the hood. I only have a 2 inch BB, along with 31s and factory 4.10 gears. I am currently really pleased with its power. Off the line she is fast, at wide open throttle its great, and at highway speeds and passing power no problem. One day I will like to get a real lift with bigger meats along with gear swap. But my BIG question here is should I do a electric fan swap or not. How reliable are they? Would you use flex a lite, or maybe a taurus fan.? Then I even thought why just reley on one fan maybe 2 smaller single fans side by side on seperate swicthes. Would I run them at same time? Or is running one small fan at a time enough to cool. O maybe its best to leave my belt driven fan as is. I guess I just dont want one more thing to go wrong out on the trail. I know who does right. But like I said before I am happy with my rigs current power, just cant imagine if I had a bit more power or even better gas mileage? Maybe I answered my own question. What do you think electric or not? Single fan or daul fan?

Nicks92jeeper

Re: ELECTRIC FAN or NOT ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »
I think that if you upgraded to an electric fan that would be a nice benefit. Will give you a little bit more performance and fuel efficiancy by having less strain on the motor but the thing that I think about is the less strain part. With the motor driven fan given that it gives you some in performance I think that it is HP wanting to be used. If it is there then use it to the full available potential. It only cost a few $$ to get a Taurus fan and wiring kit.

Right now I probably have one of the fastest 2.5 liter Jeeps in my town and if I can get more out of that little engine then I will get all that I can get out of it.

Also if you ever go swimming with your Jeep then from what I have heard, it is a good benefit to have an E fan because the motor driven fan can get sucked into the radiator. Is that right? What all upgrades to the engine have you done? I have done MSD ignition coil, 4.0 bored out TB bored out intake manifold with a port match, Fuel injectors out of a Lincoln Towncar for better atomization, Port and polish on the head and shaved off I think it was 13 thousandths off the head. cold air intake as well and a 136 amp alternator which does nothing for performance. My next step is the E fan.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
I think that if you upgraded to an electric fan that would be a nice benefit. Will give you a little bit more performance and fuel efficiancy by having less strain on the motor but the thing that I think about is the less strain part. With the motor driven fan given that it gives you some in performance I think that it is HP wanting to be used. If it is there then use it to the full available potential. It only cost a few $$ to get a Taurus fan and wiring kit.

Right now I probably have one of the fastest 2.5 liter Jeeps in my town and if I can get more out of that little engine then I will get all that I can get out of it.

Also if you ever go swimming with your Jeep then from what I have heard, it is a good benefit to have an E fan because the motor driven fan can get sucked into the radiator. Is that right? What all upgrades to the engine have you done? I have done MSD ignition coil, 4.0 bored out TB bored out intake manifold with a port match, Fuel injectors out of a Lincoln Towncar for better atomization, Port and polish on the head and shaved off I think it was 13 thousandths off the head. cold air intake as well and a 136 amp alternator which does nothing for performance. My next step is the E fan.

Yeah, the eFan will loosen up a couple of ponies.  Not something you will feel off the line, but you may feel it on the highway...  Also, it is true the fan gan get sucked into the radiator when fording a deep river or mud hole.  I use a 3 position switch on mine, so that I can have the fan ON (low speed, which is more than enough to keep the little 4 banger cool even when out wheeling), OFF (for fording rivers and mud holes), and AUTO (which runs to a Delta Current Control unit, which adjusts the fan speed according to radiator temperature, and this is where mine sites 90% of the time).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Yeah, the eFan will loosen up a couple of ponies.  Not something you will feel off the line, but you may feel it on the highway...  Also, it is true the fan gan get sucked into the radiator when fording a deep river or mud hole.  I use a 3 position switch on mine, so that I can have the fan ON (low speed, which is more than enough to keep the little 4 banger cool even when out wheeling), OFF (for fording rivers and mud holes), and AUTO (which runs to a Delta Current Control unit, which adjusts the fan speed according to radiator temperature, and this is where mine sites 90% of the time).
Actually you do notice the difference off the line.  The engine will spool up a little faster without the extra mass of the fan.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:26:21 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

YJmechanic

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
with all that is done to my motor,  i still noticed a difference when i went to the taurus fan.  an electric  fan will add power in all ranges and no matter what performance level youre at.  you are taking drag off the motor which basically unlocks power you already have and are wasting on a manual fan.  taurus fans are reliable and i trust mine on the trail.

quicksand

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
Well you guys are really convincing me on a E-fan, maybe a taurus fan. I cant imagine my lil rig being just a little faster. Would you recomend hooking it up to a relay along with a thermo or just straight inline with a off on swicth?  O yeah what do you think of purchasing a taurus fan from ebay.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
Got mine from E-bay and the controler too.  May want to read the FAQ on this.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

quicksand

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »
Controler ?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Controler ?
To turn the fan off when it's not needed.  Otherwise you gain nothing since you're shifting the load to the alternator.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
you're also going to hear a lot of noises you never noticed before, it's funny how much quieter it is without that mech fan continuously blowing air.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

quicksand

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
So its quieter huh? As far as the controller is that not just a off on swicth? O yeah do I need a thermo automatic swicth that detects temps at thermostat or no? Do I just wire it direct to battery, fuse and off on swicth in cab?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
So its quieter huh? As far as the controller is that not just a off on swicth? O yeah do I need a thermo automatic swicth that detects temps at thermostat or no? Do I just wire it direct to battery, fuse and off on swicth in cab?

you need a thermostatic switch connected to a relay. I got a hayden 3651 (i think) which is a thread in probe with relay and adjustable ON temperature, lots of guys are using the "thru fins" probe since it doesn't require a hole to place the probe.

on/off switch sucks since there's no way you'd be able to keep your eyes on the temperature and switch it on when needed. All time on is like grumpy said, waste of energy since it is running all the time.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

quicksand

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
Sounds good. Hey how is the hayden fan holding up for you. Do you know how many CFMs it has and what is the amp pull on that unit?

Offline andpgud

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:58 AM »
Here in europe we use the fan from a peaugeot laguna 2.0 v8.
What if I just connect it to a termostat. Do I need the switch to be able to turn it off? I never go under water.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:26:49 AM »
Here in europe we use the fan from a peaugeot laguna 2.0 v8.
What if I just connect it to a termostat. Do I need the switch to be able to turn it off? I never go under water.

you don't need a switch