Author Topic: Wrangler to be Ohio exclusive; possible Cherokee rename  (Read 934 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Wrangler to be Ohio exclusive; possible Cherokee rename
« on: November 19, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
Wrangler to be Ohio exclusive; possible Cherokee rename

Posted on November 16th, 2011 • by DaveAdmin

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/11/wrangler-to-be-ohio-exclusive-possible-cherokee-rename

At today’s event in Toledo, Ohio, Sergio Marchionne confirmed that the Jeep Wrangler would never be built outside Toledo. Larry Vellequette of Automotive News quoted the Chrysler Group CEO as saying, “These are things that are unthinkable — to assemble a Wrangler somewhere else.”

Marchionne’s statement came after Jeep CEO Mike Manley said that Chrysler was considering the production of Jeeps in China, including Compass, Patriot, or Wrangler.

The recently built Toledo Supplier Park, where Wrangler is made, currently operates on two shifts, and can only make around 160,000 Wranglers per year. Expanding the plant would be costly as it was not designed with expansion in mind.

JeepNewsNow also quoted Marchionne as suggesting that the Jeep Cherokee name could return, replacing Liberty. The Liberty was designed as a next-generation Cherokee and is still sold under that name outside North America.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Wrangler to be Ohio exclusive; possible Cherokee rename
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
These are things that are unthinkable — to assemble a Wrangler somewhere else.”
wasn't the YJ that made in Canada, and also I thought at some point there was a CJ built in China (probably for the asian market and i believe was under a different brand name not Jeep), so i dunno what he's talking about
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
wasn't the YJ that made in Canada, and also I thought at some point there was a CJ built in China (probably for the asian market and i believe was under a different brand name not Jeep), so i dunno what he's talking about
Yes, the YJ up until '94 or '95 was made at the Brampton plant in Canada.  The XJ and ZJ were built at Ohio since they were higher sellers.  Some XJ's though were also made at Brampton.  YJ was not a US name but a Canadian designation.  I forget why they didn'tt use the name in the US.  I think Wrangler was licensed by someone else in Canada, preventing them from using it.

I don't believe Jeep ever made the CJ in China.  Jeep did license other companies though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:42:27 PM by Jeffy »
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
I don't believe Jeep ever made the CJ in China.  Jeep did license other companies though.

I saw one a while back, maybe made in Korea or some other Asian country - for sure it was not named Jeep (it was a CJ for sure, dunno why I had in mind it was chinese, i probably got mixed up), can't remember then name that was on it, am trying very hard but doesn't come up.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
I saw one a while back, maybe made in Korea or some other Asian country - for sure it was not named Jeep (it was a CJ for sure, dunno why I had in mind it was chinese, i probably got mixed up), can't remember then name that was on it, am trying very hard but doesn't come up.
SsangYong Motor Company in Korea made a CJ-7.  I don't think it was licensed.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »

i ran to my computer to post that i remembered Soong Yang - close enough
 :lol: - that's the one, the one i saw looked really nice, lifted and all...

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »

Its called Korando...  There is one in one of my videos.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
I've seen pics of Diesel ones made in India. I think it was the CJ6 chassis.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio